Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you own a Surefire 60 round magazine?

rtr

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine runs fine with brass cased ammo. it doesn't run with the Hornady steel cased ammo. It is just too sticky.

It did seem to have issues with Hornady 75 gr ammo and some 69 gr ammo. I had a few stoppages after 10 rounds, then ran fine after that.

Mine are hit or miss. Sent them back and they sent them back worse that when I sent them in to begin with.

I loaded the mag full and put it in the safe for a month. Pulled it out the other day and it ran fine.

I did see quite a few shooters at Texas shooting them and even a few of the super duper squad and they were running fine.

Hey Mackey, CA residents are allowed to own high cap mags. Any high cap mags they owned before 2000 they can have and use all they want. Also, they can rebuild any high cap mags with new parts. If you have preban 20 or 30 rounders then you can legally convert that to a 60 round.

The CA DOJ has put that in writing.

I ran a pre-retail sample last summer (thanks to a local Surefire rep) and it had no issues* and now have 2 of the 60rd mags, never had an issue* with either of those. I do get nervous reading some of the bad reviews, but in my case its been “So good so far”.

*All my testing has been with brass cased 55g FMJ ammo. I’ve not run any longer or heavier bullets, steel cased ammo, etc. through these mags.

Edited by GunCat

Hey Mackey, CA residents are allowed to own high cap mags. Any high cap mags they owned before 2000 they can have and use all they want. Also, they can rebuild any high cap mags with new parts. If you have preban 20 or 30 rounders then you can legally convert that to a 60 round.

The CA DOJ has put that in writing.

i was under the impression that if the magazine or firearm wasnt made prior to the ban there was no legal way to own them? say for an m&p or xd

damn CA laws just make it more difficult for law-abiding citizens. <sarcasm>cause criminals care about following the letter of the law...</sarcasm>

• 1 year later...

I received mine last year and it has worked great. I took it to work and broke it in with a couple of mag dumps with one of our old M16A1's in the armory and it had no issues at all. I have only ran WWB 55gr. ammo through it.

Have one now, a buddy bought it and tried to run wolf through it, got frustrated and traded it to me for a couple of mag pouches. I have run only Brass through it and zero problems yet..

Apparently I spoke too soon..

20130525_220734.jpg

20130525_220819.jpg

Can I fix this myself or does it have to go back to Surefire? I hate to send it back if the fix is as easy as it was on my p,mag extensions [a couple swipes with a file]

Edited by barrysuperhawk

If you are thinking of buying a Surefire 60 or 100 round mag think twice. If you drop your mag or get a little rough loading it you can snap the guide tab off of the follower. It has happened twice. I now have two 60 round Surefire mags that are useless. I have contacted Surefire twice by phone and was transferred to a "tech" he took my info and stayed on the line talking about the issues with the mag for about 5 minutes. He said they would send a replacement split follower and an extra. That was 4 weeks ago. No Part, no answers to 4 emails. SAVE YOUR MONEY IF YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT ONE YET. Read the reviews all over the net. Think about it... specialized mag,specialized mag parts that are not sold by the manufacturer, do you really want to get into that trap? For a novelty they are great. If your live depends on your equipment, pass this specialty item by. For the 129$ each I could have had 4 or 5 dependable 30 round mags with interchangeable parts. Surefire you lost a customer on this one.