Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ran out of TG, which powder to try next for 124/147gr minor?

TerryYu

Subject says it all. I've been reloading with Titegroup my entire reloading career and I've finally run out of my jug and would be willing to try a new powder, especially something that is a bit slower (3.2gr for 147gr makes me a tad nervous as I can't even see a double charge with that little powder).

Any recommendations on what to try next? I shoot lead and Bayous.

I love Autocomp for minor .40 loads, haven't tried with 9mm.

For 147gr lead in 9mm I use Accurate No. 7. Somewhere in the 5.5gr area would be a good start. Ran ten of thousands of them in the last decade or so. If you want more specifics, pm me.

3.2gr for 147gr makes me a tad nervous as I can't even see a double charge with that little powder

I use the same for my loads, and I find that if you are paying attention to each powder level, a double charge is quite obvious. It also helps if you are loading on a progressive that makes it difficult, if not impossible, to double charge (650?). I used to load single stage and powder drop into 50 cases on a loading block, then take a flashlight and inspect them all.

Try Clays.

Only 3.6gr of powder to make Minor Prod. Div.; soft recoil, clean-ish burning, cheap powder, minimal muzzle flash for low light applications...

It's 'poor man's N320' in my eyes.

Try Clays.

Only 3.6gr of powder to make Minor Prod. Div.; soft recoil, clean-ish burning, cheap powder, minimal muzzle flash for low light applications...

I've used 3.5-3.6 gr of Clays with a 124 gr bullet in the past, which the load window according to Hogdon is 3.5-3.7. They do not publish data for 147gr bullet and Clays. I've read on various places online that trying Clays with 147 is getting into dangerous territory. I would not try this with 147 gr bullets.

(3.2gr for 147gr makes me a tad nervous as I can't even see a double charge with that little powder).

Get a RCBS Lock-Out die and use it for any loading that a double charge wouldn't have powder running over the top of the case.

Great product that could have saved a lot of KaBoom'd guns.

Sal

Try Clays.

I've used 3.5-3.6 gr of Clays with a 124 gr bullet in the past, which the load window according to Hogdon is 3.5-3.7. They do not publish data for 147gr bullet and Clays. I've read on various places online that trying Clays with 147 is getting into dangerous territory. I would not try this with 147 gr bullets.

I meant 124/125gr bullets, not 147gr.

Clays is a fast burning powder, may create too much pressure with heavy bullets depending on powder charge and other factors... while not even giving bullet velocity for Minor AND pressure being over safety standards.

But.. the powder is my fav as of last 3 years and 25000+ rounds loaded and shot with just that powder. I tried about 6-7 powders so far with 9mm 124gr plated bullets and Minor load.

Edited by CeeZer

I just switched from W231 to SR7625. I love it!

I am an IMR SR7625 fan also. In my XDM 9mm I do 4.6 grains of 7625 with a Montana Gold 124 grain CMJ, Winchester SPP, AOL 1.150 with all the same head stamped brass, Power Factor of 130. For my G17, I shortened the AOL to 1.135, PF 131. Chrono temp of 70 degrees for both. Average velocity of 1051 and 1061 (1061 for G17) Standard deviation of 12 to 13 in 20 shot strings. Too much volume to double charge!

Edited by Red Ryder