Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What shooting glasses should I get?

bobby hated

im debating about what glasses to get for shooting and general daily wear. i just got a pair of rudy raydon's but theyre not as comfortable as i hoped. extended wear causes a pain behind my ears, especially when i have my digi ears on.

i tried on a pair of full jackets and they felt comfortable, and im interested in genetyks and m frames too but i dont know where to go that stocks them to try on. i'm open to other options but im admittedly ignorrant of what they might be.

oh and as far as fit goes, i have a big nose.

thanks for the input.

I have Genetyks and Rydons. In my opinion the Genetyks are far more comfortable and fit better than the Rydons.

Oakley also makes some fine glasses but I have never tried a pair of their shooting glasses. They are much easier to find at a dealer than rudys are for sure.

Stop by a match around your area and ask to try a pair on. Especially if you see a shooter in a Rudy shirt. they have to let you try a pair. It's the law!!laugh.gif

Hey, I read about those Rudy glasses on Facebook...about two dozen times today! :rolleyes:

I have mulitple pair of the Rydons, so they are my obvious favorites. They do tend to fit very close to your face which can be an issue if you have long eye lashes. Especially, if you are using the RX inserts. Although you didn't list them, the Zyon model is very nice too.

i have the opposite problem with the raydons. they sit too far from my face. one of the concerns i had is that unless im looking directly downrange i could get a piece of shrapnel in the eye from the side. probably due to my bigger than average schnoz.

i do like rudy as a company better than oakley because they are very active in supporting our sport, they replace their lenses with no questions asked, they offer more lenses than oakley does, and i have a code for 30% off from my local ipsc club.

thanks for the input guys. the more input the better.

Edited by bobby hated

Oakley guy here. Voted for and use M Frames for shooting. Four different lens sizes to choose from for optimum fit, and a wide variety of lenses which are easy to swap out to suit lighting conditions. Favorite all around lens is the VR28. Good contrast for range use, but is not too bright like the orange and yellow lenses and dark enough to use as an everyday lens. You can also hit up Ebay and buy M Frames lenses/frames at a substantial savings over retail price.

the Flak Jackets are nice but swapping lenses for range use is a pain

Hello: You can adjust the nose piece on the Rydons so they sit closer to your face. I do this with mine so that the lens almost touch my nose. I have been hit with lots of lead coming back off the steel we shoot. I have never had any come back behind the glasses. They have hit the lens mostly the left one, not sure why that is but replaced them with the lifetime warranty just paying for shipping. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I have Beretta glasses, I paid like 20$.

Was good enough to protect my eyes, have adjustable nose piece (I need it as i have a "low" nose) and have small branches to be confortable under the Earmuffs. Light and not to close to face, so well ventilated (when glasses are to close, I have fogging)

Best of all, at 20$, if I scratch them, burn them, sit on them, or anything else them, I will not cry and get a new one

7aa0a9cb-061b-4cb4-8524-253aace367ae_11449_Reg.jpg

Oakley M-Frame... You get a ton of choices for lens types.. both shape and filter. They will stop bullet fragments and rebounding shot. I have been wearing Oakleys for years, both for shooting and for regular sunglasses, and they have amazing clarity. I had previously tried some of the less expensive options listed above, and while they work, the clarity difference between a cheap lens and an expensive lens is noticable. Given ours is a visual sport....

I have heard good things about Rudy Project, but have not tried them myself.

I can't even tell y how inconvenient it was when I had to send my right eye in for replacement last year. Took nearly a week before I got the new one installed and functioning perfectly.

Oh yeah, you can't replace your eyes!

Don't skimp on eye and ear protection. Get the good ones, I have Rudy's and they are the best I have tried. And the warranty is great too.

Edited by latech15

I can't even tell y how inconvenient it was when I had to send my right eye in for replacement last year. Took nearly a week before I got the new one installed and functioning perfectly.

Oh yeah, you can't replace your eyes!

Don't skimp on eye and ear protection. Get the good ones, I have Rudy's and they are the best I have tried. And the warranty is great too.

i totally agree. i dont need people to suggest i get a $20 pair of shooting glasses. i've gone through enough of those.

what model rudy glasses do you have?

I have rydons, noyz, and wizaards. I would suggest the flex version of the rydons.

I just got a pair of hypermask performance glasses and they will be my new shooting glasses. The temples are flat so you won't have issues with muffs mashing them into your head.

I like the Rudy line. There is a model available to fit 99.9 % of the shooters out there. Excellent selection of lens tints. I have one pair with the rx insert that I use for daily wear. They are very light weight and I don't even notice I have them on. Forgot to mention the great price with the discounts that are available.

Edited by Jaxshooter