Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you load? As needed or stock pile?

razerok1

I try to keep enough ammo loaded for three months of matches and practice plus 1000. As soon as my stockpile drops to the 1000 round mark, it time to get busy.

That extra 1000 rds is a result of experience. A while back I drew down my supply just in time to have reloading problems. Won't happen again.

Bill

For those who stockpile, presumably, you've worked up a load that make power factor first before you actual start stockpiling. Once you've worked up a load and created a stockpile, do you do random samples to run over the chrono for quality control? Or do you just leave it alone irregardless of a major match that is coming up?

For those who stockpile, presumably, you've worked up a load that make power factor first before you actual start stockpiling. Once you've worked up a load and created a stockpile, do you do random samples to run over the chrono for quality control? Or do you just leave it alone irregardless of a major match that is coming up?

I generally keep a 2-6 month stockpile, but recognize that loads or specs can drift slightly when running several thousand rounds at a time. So I'll make and chrono a fresh batch a few weeks before a major. An accidental 164.9 in practice or at a local is no big deal, but I really don't want to be on the wall of shame at a major - I need every point I can get! I also pay a little more attention to uniformity and QC with major match ammo.

BB

I keep a little over 1000 rounds on hand all the time. This allows me to load when I feel like it.

I load for major matches as needed. I try not to exhaust all my components at once, I really hate the feeling when I run out. :o

The more I load the more I shoot. Sometimes I feel like I am half assing my practice, but if I have a pile of ammo I won't stop. So I try to keep 3 or 4 hundred rounds loaded up. Then I will replenish as needed. I load on a LNL and my press stays pretty much on .40 all the time. It isn't a big deal to go down and knock out 200 rounds once or twice during the week. I am a reloader who hates reloading and that is what I can crank out without feeling like I am not paying enough attention.

My biggest deal is casting when the weather is good. My garage isn't heated so there is a sweet spot to it. Too cold outside and the pots don't run right. Too hot I can't stand to be near the 800 degree pots. I try to cast when the outside temp is between 45-75 degrees. I stockpile raw cast now and during the fall.

Marathon loader here. I usually set up and load a bunch over 2-4 days. 1000-2000 a day if I have enough brass on hand.

I tried to get enough loaded for a majority of the season, but probably fell short. The more I have on hand, the more I shoot. a 200 round practice turns into 350.. the stockpile goes faster and then the wife wonders why I need more bullets, when I supposedly bought enough for the whole year.. :roflol:

Edited by DWFAN

I have been a reload as needed for the last few years. When I got started I would borrow a friends SDB and load 2k in a weekend and then give it back. I recently got set up to run 45 ACP. Befor the parts arrived I loaded up 1500 rounds to prepare for the caliber switch. I'm going to stockpile some 45 ACP before I switch back.

Couple of interesting comments in the thread so far.

For one, I load and check each and every round of ammo I make as if I were shooting the nationals with it the next day. I don't see the logic of making "practice" ammo and then buckling down and making "match ammo" or "major" ammo.

I try not to make too many thousands at a time in case that "magic" load gets discovered. So far I don't think it exists so I keep a few thousand loaded and ready to go at all times.

I intended to get into reloading as a way to stockpile ammo for much cheaper than I could buy it. Especially with components and full ammo getting more expensive. Loaded ammo can last for decades if properly stored and my intention is to have 10's of thousands on hand of any round I shoot at any given time. But then I'm also loading and stockpiling for multiple households so I'm not the only one shooting these calibers.

Though that is the plan, I doubt I'll get there anytime soon. I've so far loaded a grand total of 100 9mm rounds that I've fired no more than 15 or so of. I eventually plan to really give the Hornady LnL AP a workout as I have 35lb of 5.56 brass headed to the house.