Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will gas prices affect the matches you shoot?

Boy do I feel lucky after reading these posts. I have 5 USPSA clubs within a couple hours, 2 about 45 minutes away. My shooting buddy and I drive company trucks most of the time. We take turns driving out of courtesy not necessity.

Edited by sroe3

Being a student, I've volunteered to staff majors and carpooled just to get to shoot. If the match fee is $50+, I just can't afford to shoot that match.

Last year, I didn't shoot any major matches, sadly. The only match I traveled to was the Big Dawg Steel, because my apartment wasn't too far away and so it didn't cost much besides the gas.

As a student, I'm just glad to have ammo to shoot my local matches. I probably have a year worth of ammo saved up, so at this point, it's just making the matches that matters.

I would have loved to shoot the single stack nationals the last few years, but I have never made it because of the $$$.

I do have a paying (teaching) job now, and so I can justify spending a little more, but there's a match about 20 minutes away at my local club every 2 weeks or so, and so I'm happy to hit that up and (unfortunately) miss the majors.

Fortunatly I am surrounded by local clubs and there is a match every weekend within 1-1.5hr drive. Frostproof where the major matches are held (Florida Open, Monster Match, Area 6 Championship, etc) is under 2 hrs. My fiancee also shoots and we drive her Prius to the matches so gas price does not effect our shooting. :cheers:

Edited by blueeyedme

No

For one, I've got an economy car, good on gas.

Two, I've got literally thousands of dollars in guns, gear, reloading equipment, etc, that I bought to shoot matches. I'm not going to let another $20 for gas stop me from shooting.

And, for majors, we usually carpool.

with gas getting up there, even talk of $5 a gallon, will it make you think twice on how far you want to drive for a match??

Right now I plan to shoot the same number of matches as last year. That could change if, in fact, gas does reach five dollars a gallon. :unsure:

depends...if I start an L.L.C. business for either grips or steel targets, then I might try to go to more matches if...IF! I can take expenses like gas, and maybe match fees or hotel room costs off my business's taxes.

I am planning on getting a truck with better fuel economy within the next few weeks so i hope this will be a non issue, but if gas does really go to $5 a gallon it could affect the matches that i attend that are 1.5 hours or more away.

I drive an extra 100 miles a week to attend a match that is set up as good as the Nationals in my opinion. The club constantly brings in 100+ shooters a weekend. The extra gas prices won't affect my decision yet.

Because of my work schedule I don't get to attend many matches anyway so on the rare occasion I am able to go to a match I don't think there are many things at all that would stop me from going, including gas prices.

No, I only shoot local matches and have a econobox with good mileage. I have 5 clubs within 40 miles, and could attend a match 3+ days a week if I wanted. I feel bad for the guys that have to drive hours to get to the "local" match. I probably wouldn't shoot USPSA if I had to drive that far for a local match. That or I would only do it a couple times a year.

Edited by ziebart

Absolutely it is affecting attending matches. I have cut back to about half, and it may half to be more. Heck instead of saying 15 minutes or 20 miles to go to a match, or any other errand, I now think its $10 to get there in fuel, or $50 to get there and back. Amazing.

While my local range is only a 40 mile round trip I have cut back on trips to it. Instead of spending an hour or two at the range I'm spending the entire day there but that makes loading and unloading the car a pain. Just can't run out the door with one range bag now. Now a trip to the range has become a major undertaking. It's almost starting to feel like work.

My real limiter seems to be the TIME to do the matches. With wife, kids, job, dogs, etc... I'm lucky if I get to a 'full size' weekend match once a month. So the gas will (I hope) remain a secondary concern.

I wonder how many people will start to shoot minor because of bullet prices, but that's thread drift...

My real limiter seems to be the TIME to do the matches. With wife, kids, job, dogs, etc... I'm lucky if I get to a 'full size' weekend match once a month. So the gas will (I hope) remain a secondary concern.

I wonder how many people will start to shoot minor because of bullet prices, but that's thread drift...

May be thread drift but is a serious concern and yes I've stopped shooting revolver for that very reason. Now shooting the CZ 75 TS in 9mm.

The only thing worse than high gas prices is also having a car payment which I don't have at the moment.

with gas getting up there, even talk of $5 a gallon, will it make you think twice on how far you want to drive for a match??

I've already committed to local and sanctioned matches this season; I just budget travel expenses accordingly.