Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What store 9mm ammo should I get?

My second time shooting tonight, I did better than the first time, but I am certain I would do better with better ammo, because I know I was aiming right (and yes, my pistol is zeroed).

I am saving for a Dillon 550, but until then and until I know how to use it and have found the best load and bullet for my GP6, I am going to have to buy store ammo for a while.

FYI, I was using Federal, tonight. Yes, I know... It's good for plinking.

I have used Magtech, S&B and Fiocchi. S&B worked pretty well. It's usually $15 a box. What about Hornady? Is it worth the extra bucks?

What about JHP?

What's your advice?

Thanks!

Order from somebody like cheaper than dirt or just buy the federal stuff from walmart until you start reloading. Pick up your brass and keep it as well.

Just be aware that IF you shoot a bigger match that has a chrono some store bought 9mm ammo will not make power factor. If that is not a concern just shoot whatever is cheapest.

Either walmart 100 packs in federal or winchester, or buy reloads from a reputable reloader, gun show etc.

Don't worry about getting into re-loading to quickly, focus on your shooting first. Then once you are refining those skills, start re-loading, its just another set of variable's that might confuse you.

Hornady Steel Match Ammo

http://www.hornady.com/store/Steel-Match-handgun

Featuring Hornady Match rifle bullets or HAP (Hornady Action Pistol) handgun bullets. Additionally, Steel Match 9mm and 223 Rem both meet Minor power factor criteria

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/30315205-1.html

Ammo 9mm Hornady Steel Match 125 Grain HAP 1110 fps 50 Round Box

17.36 for 50 rounds at Cheaper Than Dirt

Steel cased, accurate HAP bullets, function great in my M+P and G34. The primers might be too hard for a light striker spring/hammer spring.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Thanks for the advice, all.

It seems that the cheap Walmart stuff (White box and Federal) is not that bad after all?

I have been saving my brass for a while, now. When I shoot indoors I even pick up other folks brass, with their or the RO's authorization.

NicVerAz

I shoot Tuesday night at Rio as well. I am by no means an expert but here a few things for you to think about. Don't over analyze the ammo. I have a friend that has been using Walmart Cheap federal ammo for as long as i can remember in all his pistol from his Kimber to his Sti and believe it or not he wins quit a bit with it. Shooting under the clock is a lot different then target shooting for the best grouping. Plus if your going at night there is a huge lighting difference. Take your time and don't worry about the clock misses will kill your time as well as make up shoots. It is much faster to have one shot per target then to miss and have to make that shot up and now you have possible forced an early reload that could bite you at the end. Check out tips for newbie under the introduce yourself section you will find a lot of good advise

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78927

Edited by Msfinlayson

I read an article on the X5 and was surprised that WWB 115gr produced the smallest groups at 25yards. .97 inches if I remember correctly.

Do you know where I can see the article?

Also were those JHP or FMJ?

Thanks!

So I simply tried most of the cheaper stuff that is available in your neighborhood store as well as big W.

WWB is probably the best compromise for price vs performance. I get good groups and a very consistant kick. It seems to be more powerful than the other brands, though.

PMC is also good, but not as powerful as the other brands. Now that I remember, it was the only brand of ammo which would cycle my Hi Point C9 when I had one (sold it to a chick who was very aware of what she was buying).

S&B, Fiocchi and Federal are very similar. Not too expensive, reliable and no issue with it. Magtech slightly between these three and WWB. S&B ammunition looked the best of all. I know, it should not matter, but when the rounds are all well shaped and shiny, with absolutely no blemishes or scrapes (not the same can be said of the US brands), it means someone is really trying hard to deliver a good product.

Of course, it is all very subjective.

I regret ever buying UMC, Tulammo and Wolf. I still have some Tulammo which I keep for the Zombie apocalypse, when I have no other choice.

The Speer lawman brass case 9 has shot fine in my 9mm's. I have not chrono'd it. Perceived muzzle blast was comparable to recent Fed 115 ball

Lawman shoots fine in my G34 and CZ. I've got a few boxes lying about. I havent chrono'd any either. It does seem to be a bit snappier that others, like WWB and Monarch.

The only store ammo I've had problems with is the Wolf steel case stuff-- more misfeeds noticed on both the pistols. The Blazer steel , from what I recall, didn't cause troubles.

Precision delta also offers loaded ammo, both new and reman. I have never bought thier loaded ammo, but I have loaded alot of thier bullets. I think they also provide the match ammo for matches that offer that.

I usually shoot PMC, simply because it's usually on sale for $9.50 a box at a local place. I've had Winchester white box keyhole several times while shooting paper, and I get a bit more recoil with it versus PMC. I'm also stocked up on WPA, but have yet to use it in a match. I've never had any issue with either brand.

At the 'lost brass' matches, I am 'that guy'. You know, the one shooting 9mm Blazer... :D I have never had a problem with any of it: 115, 124 or 147gr.

At the last local Steel Challenge shoot, I even shot some of the Wolf 9mm that I stockpiled a while back. It functioned very well on the plates but was dirty shooting.

I would like to ask this group their opinion on Aguila 124gr. I found some that was selling for as cheap as Blazer and just wanted to know if it is worth taking a chance on. Thoughts?