Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firebird MKA 1919

ken hebert

And he that is known as Gentleman Jim laid his hands on the Akdal and he molded it unto his own image and he decreed "this is good"

and then he mailed it to me. and he was right!

got my full conversion Firebird 1919 in this afternoon and promptly took it to the range for a test. The conversion works absolutely PERFECT!!, soft shooting, great handling, and the Firebird mags run 100% with last round bolt hold open. I put only two boxes (all i had with me) through it just as fast as i could load the mags and pull the trigger. ran with Federal 1 1/8 oz 1200fps and remington low recoil slugs. I didnt pattern it or shoot slugs for accuracy as I didnt have the Cmore on it at the time. the handguard is a work of art! I mean, i've had the gun for 4 hours now and i still cant quit looking at it and admiring the fit and finish! its frikkin CLEAN!!! and the left (or right if you choose) non reciporocating charging handle is butter smooth, no sharp edges. i tried to screw up and hurt myself with it and just cant. Jims trigger has exactly the same curve and feel of the JP units in my rifles, feels as if its about 4 lbs and breaks pretty damn clean for a scattergun.

this weekend will see me trying out every shell i have here at home to see what all will run in it, but i dont get the feeling it is going to be finicky like a Saiga.

from the pic you can see i have a Magpul CTR stock on it currently. I plan to play around a bit with some others, namely the ACE ARFX shorty and the Magpul UBR, see about counter balancing it a little differently. (plus the CTR stock always grabs my beard!)

more reviews to follow, but right now I will tell you, without a doubt in my mind, that

Jim Lambert has knocked it out of the park with this shotgun!

post-7974-0-45864500-1331085508_thumb.jp

Edited by ken hebert

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, that just look incredible and sounds like it shoots as good as it looks. Someday... it's the last thing I need to shoot in Open. cheers.gif

Edited by norbs007

I literaly picked mine up at the post office yesterday on the way to the range. It was my gun so no need to do the FFL transfer.

I plan on spending the next few days putting rounds thru it to loosen it up. I dont have a ton of other pics at the moment. Like the engraving and Nanci said they had to do it due to the level of conversion. Plan on using it Sunday in a match.

Thanks to Jim and Nanci. I only got about 150 thru it today and am happy.

eeb788fa.jpg

What can I say Jim but you are a mad genius. I received my 1919 the day before yesterday and got to spend 10 minutes with on the range. It was -3 deg F and I ran 20 rounds by the headlights of my truck. Talk about neat flash from the comp, I may have to get that on video. Well yesterday it warmed up to 15 deg F so I went back to the range. I ran a box each of Federal pink 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz 8 shot, Winchester 3 1/4 1 oz 8 shot, Estate 1 1/8 oz 1200FPS, , 10 Remington 00 managed recoil buck shot, 10 Remington managed recoil slugs, and 5 Brenneke THD slugs. I had no failures, it just ran. It was soft shooting and even patterned good. It was even surprised that both types of slugs had the same point of impact. I cant wait to try a slide fire stock on it. That ought to be a cool video. What else can I say but thanks Jim and Nancy.

Edited by dshooter3

Mine ran perfectly today. I went thru about 125 rounds. I was using a 5 round to start. Some times with only two shells to go to slide lock to practice slideock reloads with a 10 rounder. 2 or 3 times i inserted a full ten rounder and the bolt closed on its own. That would be something totally unrelated to the conversion or those parts. I had one instance of a full mag just inserted and on firing the first round shell #10 did not strip from the mag. The shot fired and ejected but didn't pick the next round giving me an empty chamber. I'm not letting the 10 rounders hit the ground (yet) on reloads. Using 5 rounders to simulate that. Come match day the 10/11 rounders will get the drop check. I'm sure they will be fine but I hate to mar that nice finish yet. Going to give it a good cleaning tonight when I get home and in the am swing by wallyworld for a couple more value packs. So far it has ran and fed value pack, win value pack AA, remi low recoil slugs and brenekke low recoil slice and VERY accurate and both brand slugs hit virtually same POA. Anybody want to buy a homebuilt saiga 12??

I am chalking the mag fail to being a pretty new gun still and the comp works like a champ. Before the conversion it had more recoil and muzzle rise. It has less recoil and the muzzle rise is gone.

Edited by Kent Grewe

Looks like a great platform. The primary reason I hesitated on giving this platform a try was mag availability. Maybe the situation has changed, but when I called I was told I would be limited to one 10 rounder or potentially two if I wanted a coupled mag. For me thats not nearly enough to shoot any match. I bring 4 twelve rounders on my R&R to most matches. What is everyone doing to cover 20-40 round stages? When mags become available, this looks to be a great platform.

Looks like a great platform. The primary reason I hesitated on giving this platform a try was mag availability. Maybe the situation has changed, but when I called I was told I would be limited to one 10 rounder or potentially two if I wanted a coupled mag. For me thats not nearly enough to shoot any match. I bring 4 twelve rounders on my R&R to most matches. What is everyone doing to cover 20-40 round stages? When mags become available, this looks to be a great platform.

All I can say is if you order a gun today by the time you most likely get it the mag situation may be bright!

I'd settle for a pair of coupled 10 rounders and several 5 rounders!!!!!

WHERE?????

Just got a message from Jim, Looks like I'm 5th on the Second batch of Shotguns to come out. let me tell you, THE WAIT IS KILLING ME! :wacko: its probably a good thing that I don't get it before SMM3G, because I KNOW FOR A FACT that even if it came to me the night before the match I would try to run it at the match...

Edited by DocMedic

WHERE?????

The problem is that 5 round mag changes will make you slower than a tube gun fed by tecloaders. IMO, the goal is to load more than 8 in one mag change (whereas the guy running tecloaders has to grab two loaders to reload 8... I was able to do this in 3- 4 seconds with my m1). What are guys doing for mags in competition?

WHERE?????

The problem is that 5 round mag changes will make you slower than a tube gun fed by tecloaders. IMO, the goal is to load more than 8 in one mag change (whereas the guy running tecloaders has to grab two loaders to reload 8... I was able to do this in 3- 4 seconds with my m1). What are guys doing for mags in competition?

I don't know about that, TecLoaders do take a bit of Finesse. If you have at least 2 ten rounders and a couple 5er's, I bet you could find good places during movement to reload into a 5rnder and not be hindered.

the gen 2 prototypes for the two round mags are in transit to me

I should know next week if they pan out, if so they go right to production and will be available soon

I am working as fast as possible to bring one or the other to full production as soon as I can

Jim

I should know next week if they pan out, if so they go right to production and will be available soon

I am working as fast as possible to bring one or the other to full production as soon as I can

Jim

Geez Jim, two round mags? I think you might look to add a 1 in front of that. A nice 12 rounder would be very helpful. (Typo?)

Geez Jim, two round mags? I think you might look to add a 1 in front of that. A nice 12 rounder would be very helpful. (Typo?)

Give the guy a break! 2 rounders are twice the capacity of 1 round mags! :roflol:

Jim

From what I understand from talking to Jim About this last time was that the original 5rnd mags take a bit of work to convert them to run into 10rnds, something about the shotgun rounds don't stack correctly and you have to do some shimming. So Akdal is releasing 2rnd mags, that were designed for Hunting. The 2rnd mags should eliminate the weird tilt when building to a 10rnd mag.