Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

when to know if it´s too heavy

sgrc1

I just weighted my Limited gun without any ammo and it weighs in at 40 oz, this is my first limited gun and so I have nothing to compare it to, except my previous glock 17 PD (at around 24 oz) and you can really feel the difference when moving around while dry firing.

The question is I don´t know if I should go for a lighter set up on my limited, currenly its a long dust cover SV gun with tungsten sleeved barrel, I am having a second gun built and I am really considering going to a short dust cover with a regular bull barrel or even maybe a busing barrel in order to try to replicate the good feeling of moving around a light gun I had with my PD gun, the only thing is I don´t know how much it will affect negatively the performance in terms of felt recoil and follow up shots on the same target. With my currentl limited gun while shooting a stage I sometimes do feel the gun a bit slugish when firing, altough recoil is very light (it should at 40 oz I guess).

Unfortunatly there are not many "ligh" guns I can test around at my local club as most have a similar heave set up to what I currently have.

Anybody has had similar concearns and discovered the light set-up to work best. I know I probably won´t reach the 24 oz mark, but maybe going to light set up I might get to say a 32 oz weight.

Finally, if anybody has any pictures of their short dust cover Limitd gun that they can post it would be great, so far I feel the long dust cover looks better, but havent had a chance to see many short dustcover guns to have good judgement. Maybe the best comparison I have been able to make has been on the pictures of the brazos website where they have the long&short side to side. Again this is a pure matter of taste, what are the trends lately in terms of long vs short?

Thanks

Lighter guns are easier to dry-fire with - more extended practice sessions. That can be a good thing.

Heavier guns are easier to shoot well while you're running around on uneven terrain with your heart racing. That can be a good thing too.

40oz sounds fine to me.

As with most things, it is a matter of personal preference. There is no right or wrong. Generally speaking, a heavier gun will have less felt recoil, but will be slower to index from target to target compared to a lighter gun. The next time you goto a match, ask to try someone's gun that is setup differently than yours and see if you can tell the difference and if it works for you.

My Limited gun is a .40 with a STI/SVI/YourNameHere standard-length frame, bushing bbl and a 5 oz tungsten guide rod. I weight maybe 140lbs w/ all my clothes on and this setup works good for me.

-David

Don't worry about it, just shoot it. If it is too heavy do 100 pushups a night and it will get lighter without spending a dime. There aren't too many people who will shoot better or worse because the gun is +/- 10 oz IMO I've spent thousands figuring this out. If what you have works 100% of the time and is acurate enough, chances are you can never shoot as well as it can.

Don't worry about your equiptment holding you back (if it works 100%,) worrying about it is the only way it will hold you back.

Finally, if anybody has any pictures of their short dust cover Limitd gun that they can post it would be great, so far I feel the long dust cover looks better, but havent had a chance to see many short dustcover guns to have good judgement. Maybe the best comparison I have been able to make has been on the pictures of the brazos website where they have the long&short side to side. Again this is a pure matter of taste, what are the trends lately in terms of long vs short?

TrueGritGunSmall.jpg

It's butt ugly, but you asked for it. ;)

Yeah, long dust covers look really cool. But a roached-out, short-dust-cover gun that works is simply beautiful in my book. This isn't cowboy action shooting. No brownie points are awarded on the basis of good fashion sense.

Finally, if anybody has any pictures of their short dust cover Limitd gun that they can post it would be great, so far I feel the long dust cover looks better, but havent had a chance to see many short dustcover guns to have good judgement. Maybe the best comparison I have been able to make has been on the pictures of the brazos website where they have the long&short side to side.  Again this is a pure matter of taste, what are the trends lately in terms of long vs short?

Thanks

post-45-1076572703.jpg

Tungsten rod and stainless magwell. I don't know what it weighs. Not really important.

you can really feel the difference when moving around while dry firing

The more important thing to me is what it feels like when shooting. The production guns shoot minor ammo. The limited guns will shoot major.

If it is truly an issue of when moving around and dry firing I would try the 100 pushups.

Lighter guns are easier to dry-fire with - more extended practice sessions. That can be a good thing.

Heavier guns are easier to shoot well while you're running around on uneven terrain with your heart racing. That can be a good thing too.

40oz sounds fine to me.

Me too, especially since I think my Ruger Mk II bullseye gun (8 1/2" barrel) with scope and mount probably weighs over 60 ounces...... plus ammo. A 65 ounce gun definitely gets heavy after a while... especially if you are really nuts and shoot it open class and then pop the scope off and shoot it in stock class right after. :o

In every sport people train with something "heavier" than they compete with. Golfers use a heavy club and when they play the clubs in their bag "feel" light. (sorry for the bad analogy) Train with a heavy gun or wieghts on your wrists, and on match day your gun will feel light and transition faster than ever. Plus, recoil will be eaten up by the heavy frame.

I agree with david, it is a personal preference. I have a heavy dust cover/ bull barreled limited gun and i love it. I tried a standard dust cover limited gun this weekend and i had a hard time tracking the front sight.

I have a heavy gun - I like the way it shoots - but will start to look toward a lighter gun next time around. My grip will not change, I'll reduce weight elsewhere.

I do my dry fire drills in two parts - part 1 with 1.5lbs weighs around my wrists and then part 2 without.. My heavy gun feels like a feather in part 2..

svi1.jpg

Here is mine. Long dust cover, bushing barrel, Sprinco GR, and a lightened frame and slide. I discovered that a heavy gun wasn't for me. It was killing me on the indexes - both with hits and time. I figured out I could not stop it well enough and I would get impatient and break the shot before the sights were right. This light gun is very easy to manipulate and index from target to target. With 180s, it is very nice to shoot.

newblaster0001.JPG

newblaster0008.JPG

Take care.

Sorry I am so late in replying. . . Started a new job and moved to a new town, but since Matt rang:

My SV weighs about 45-46 oz. empty, although I am toying with a different magwell that would drop 3 oz. or so off. (It has a 6oz. Grams tungsten now, long DC, 3 oz. tungsten rod, bull barrel). I agree with the others above. It's all about personal preference. I think my transitions are what helped me make GM in March. Not necessarily the heavy gun, though it feels good to me and I don't think I have a problem shooting it. I'm not against a light gun. Maybe I should try them more, but I can't see my gun getting lighter than 40oz. anytime soon. FWIW, I'm about 6'2", 215 if that matters. I don't know that it does though.

I'm relatively new to the sport but the heavier my gun gets the more I seem to like it. I feel like I can control it more where a lighter gun seems to feel like it's running away from me. I'd rather not have the weapon controlling me, that sort of thing.

Cooter

I'm running about the same set up as DB, it weighs 47 oz and I'm 5'6", 160lb.

I went with the heavy set up after the infamous bobbers of Cebu, reasoning that splits were more important than transitions. Obviously that isn't the case but I have been unable to demonstrate my 'feeling' that the lighter gun is faster on the timer.

I have been experimenting, with balance more than weight, by using a steel guide rod, but I can't say its been a sucess. An IPSC gun is a general purpose gun, and IMO for most situations a heavy gun is an advantage.

I shot SC this summer with the heavy set up and Major loads and I was suprised to see my results were world class.

P.D.

I am with you on this Phil, since I transitioned to a heavier setup, my Scores have improved tremendously. I can track the sights better on the heavier setup. I tried a friends standard dust cover STI This weekend and I surely could tell the BIG difference. I guess it is a personal preference thing.

<thread drift>

Dalmas - whats up with the grip? How did you contour it like that. Verrrry Interesting.

<thread drift off>

I just got my gun back (yippieee) it's now a standard gun with a thumb rest, which has it weighed in at 44 ounces. I'll do some lightening work on it to come down to about 40 but that can wait until the season is over.

My grip is made up of Super Plastic Pudding, aircraft grade epoxy and 60/80 mesh Sillicium Carbid (carborundum). I love it, I can grip the gun with much less preassure and BOTH my hands have 100% contact with the gun.

1) Put skateboard tape on the grip (insurance if you are not happy)

1) Mix the PP according to the instructions.

2) Apply PP to the grip. A lot for the hollow in the week hand.

3) Grease your hands - I used olive olie sice it was what I had handy.

4) Wait a while then grip the gun and work the PP until you have the perfect grip, then HOLD until it gets too hot.

5) Remove any obvious excess.

6) Wait, wait, wait until the PP has hardened ( i left it over night)

7) if possible remove the gripp of the gun or tape (cover) the gun so that only the new grip is visable, this is where the Dremel comes handy, remember that the gun may not be over 45mm high..

8) Dust off the gun.

9) Mix the epoxy (make sure to use a slow hardening type)

10) If mixing the SC (i could only find 60 & 80) do so in a standard "diner" issue salt shaker.

11) Cover the grip in Epoxy, be very, very meticulous because there is no adding more glue after you start to drissle SC.

12) Make sure you have covered the magfunnel so nothing gets in there, U DONT want this stuff in any working part of the gun becuase this is the stuff 3M makes all the sandpaper out of... but then again If the gun is too tight then use it instead of slide glide and voila u have a very loose gun in seconds.. :D

13) Drizzle the SC over the grip, make sure you have a plastic bag underneath to collect everything that falls off. Be excessive..... Be excessive.

14) Wait for the epoxy to harden. Then take a copper (or other harder brush) and brush of any loose SC (0nce again u don't want this stuff in the gun)

15) Assemble the gun and you have your own "Dalmas Custom" grip.

I've calculated that my gun became about 2.5 ounces heavier after this. I'll change from a steel magwell to alu and those 2.5 are back.

It took me two attemps before I was happy, Using skateboard tape as base makes sure you can get the reverse plug out and if you are not happy you can get your original grip back in seconds. I have tried with Chemical wood & metal but they are too heavy and hard. I apply SC to magwell also since my hands are in contact with that too.

Cost: (in denmark)

SC 200 grams (enough for 100 guns) $ 7.50

Plastic Pudding (enough for 3-4 guns) $ 10

Epoxy (enough for 5-6 guns) $ 12

Time: it takes a few hours.

svi4.jpg

Excelent! - thanks for all the feedback and good pictures.

I have decided to put on hold the order for my new gun until I have had some more time to experiment on my own with different weights as well as work more with my current gun, maybe all I need is a little more getting used to the additonal weight - it shoots very well so I am in no hurry for the new one.

I will also give the 100 push ups a try. :)