Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Cal Primers

Jan R.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If your mainspring is strong enough to set off the small rifle primer and you have worked up the load with that primer--great.

Most of my guns, with a trigger pull I like, are not reliable with small rifle primers, nor have any of my loads needed a small rifle primer.

One solution does not work for all people.

Are you guys saying that you use Small Rifle primers in a Small Pistol Primer pocket?

How does that work out for you?

Whereas LARGE pistol and LARGE rifle primers are different in depth, the SMALL pistol and rifle primers are exactly the same size. Still, I load rifle primers in rifles and pistol primers in pistols. Rifles need more ignition because they use heavier loads of slower, harder to ignite powders. Pistols use smaller amounts of easier to light up powders. Small rifle primers have harder cups and are more difficult for some pistol strikers to dent appropriately so they crush the priming pellet. Small pistol primers are made for... well... pistols and will not generally be a problem even with lightened striker or hammer springs.

That said, some shooters who are "overpressure" (you know who you are you 9mm Major shooters...) will use small rifle primers to try to contain the higher (read dangerous) pressures that the cartridge was not designed for. What they are shooting are "proof loads" that will destroy most guns very quickly that are not actually built for that game, and even then they will have to be "tuned up" every so many rounds.

So to me, using small rifle primers to shoot in a pistol is not really necessary except when called for in a cartridge designed for their use like a Winchester 9X23 which was designed for pressures upwards of 45,000psi but is suitable to shoot in a pistol. In all other situations where the case walls and web area are not designed for those high pressures the use of small rifle primers, is, to me at least, just masking the signs of extreme pressure that would otherwise be obvious. Even when small pistol primers are used and pressure signs are apparent, like cupped or flattened primers, you are already so far over the design limit of the cartridge that continuing with the same load is extremely dangerous and should be discontinued. But hey... there will be a bunch of others who will say "I've used overpressure loads for years and I still have all my fingers!". To those I say you can thank some very competent gunsmith who built your racegun that you and your fellow shooters have so far not been injured. But I digress... If you are not shooting a race gun and you just want to shoot standard pistol loads, then use small pistol primers in pistols that use them by design.

I load .223, .40, .45 and .38sp with small rifle primers, either CCI or WIN.

I only have to buy one primer for everything I load, and only two powders. I like simplicity.

My Limited gun and my SS both have a trigger pull just under two pounds. No problems with light hits...none.

First choice Federal, they will take a lighter hit than any other primer work great in tuned S@W revolvers, 6 1/2 pound trigger and Glocks with light springs.

Second choice and what I use in auto pistols Winchester takes a little harder hit but not much. Running them in my trojan 9mm and limited 40S@W pistols with a 15lb mainspring with no problems. They are not reliable in a tuned S@W without coming up on the strain screw about a pound.

CCI, I'll use in an AR in small rifle primers, also use Winchester small rifle primers in my AR and in my 38Super open pistol.

I try to stay with Federal and Winchester Primers.

• 3 weeks later...

If I had to choose a brand it would be Federal for everything; SP in the Limited/Production gun, and SR in the Open gun. I like the Gold Medal Match SP primers; easy to seat and I did notice a slight increase in accuracy and my velocity spreads on the chrono tightened up a little with my STI. Tried Winchester, and CCI, and would use them if I couldnt get Federal stuff.

I've been using CCI since day one. Thousands of them. Never had a reason to switch to anything else. I can recall one light primer strike with the CCI's that was the primers fault. A couple of others where I brainfarted and didn't seat the primer all the way. Other than that, aces. Couldn't get a hold of them once and tried some Winchester SP. Those were just fine too.

I'm hearing you guys saying you can use SR primers in .40 reloads... first I've heard of this. I am definitely still a noob compared to many of you guys though. Question number 1: Are there any noticeable differences in pressure, velocity, etc? Question number 2: Is this reciprocal? Could I use SP in .223 loads? If so, this could change my primer ordering habits significantly.

IIRC, the actual cup of a rifle primer tends to be a little thicker/heavier than that of a pistol primer. You could use the pistol primers in rifle loads, but might have more issues and/or safety concerns. Could have issues with these lighter cups "blowing" through at rifle pressures and in firearms with floating firing pins you might see AD's/slamfires due to softer cup.

Pick a brand and stick with it. :)

Overall, if you have a stock striker/hammer spring you should be able to set off almost any primer. If the spring is a bit worn or is a reduced power one then you will want to stick with a "softer" primer.

my XD and M&P have both set off everything up to a CCI SRP. My 686 with a lightened spring will set off *well* seated CCI SP primers about 90% of the time, but will reliably set off only Federal SP or SP Magnum primers.

I know of several people that have has issues with the tula/wolf primers from time to time... but others that use them with no issue at all. Most of those that don't have issues have new or strong springs in their guns so Your mileage may vary there depending on YOUR firearm.

Bought 25k Federal SR #205's down to about 5k and no issues in my XDM 9 or any of the 1911's in 9 or .40 or the 2011's in .40 I have. I did get to drop my powder charge about 1/10 of a grain but........

• 4 weeks later...

I had bought 12 boxes of Federal #200 magnum small pistol primers at $12/1000 (sale at local gunsmith shop). Been using them and they work just fine, complete powder burn. Also use Federal SPP. No problems with either. Use TG powder.