Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Cal Primers

Jan R.

Hi All

I'm going to start loading .40 for limited. What primers are you using? I have both Winchester small rifle that I use for 38 SC and Federal Small Pistol Match that I use for 9mm. Which should I use?

Thanks

Jan

Edited by Jan R.

I used to believe that any small primer could be used in pistol...

I had success with all sp and sr until I bought some "hard" sr primers engineered to minimize slam fire in the AR. The primers were on sale and because I had 100% reliability with their standard sr so felt safe buying these. Unfortunately, the ad did not clearly indicate that they were the hard primers.

Those hard primers fired in my ARs 100% but in my striker fired pistols over 20% did not and even the ones that did had really light dents. And in my lightened hammer pistol, I had 10% that did not fire requiring a 2nd or 3rd strike to fire. I re-chambered the "duds" from the striker fired pistol into the hammer fired pistol and after 2 or 3 strikes they fired.

So if you are using most sr you should be okay but I would stay away from "223/556 Nato" primers if you are loading for striker fired or lighten hammer pistols.

Edited by kamikaze1a

Unless federal has changed their packaging, they take up much much more storage room than the other brands, so unless they're on sale or something, I avoid them. They work great but so do most of the others (I haven't tried the Russian primers or some of the off brands). Years ago (never tried them again) I had some trouble with the CCIs feeding through my Dillon 550, but they worked great once loaded in the cartridge. Just my $.02

I remember picking up a box of Federal and comparing to a box of CCI. Had to ask the salesman if that HUGE box of Federals was really for only 1000 primers. Seen sleeves of primers that were not much bigger.

In 1911/2011 pistols, I use pretty much any of them. In striker fired pistols, MOST of the time I use Federal because they light off a little easier.

From the testing I've done, Federals chrono a little slower that others.

Don't use MagTech small rifle, they are the hardest primer on the planet, they have a distinctive D on them. MagTech small pistol and small pistom magnum are fine.

I fired a full case of Magtech SR primers split between .40 major and .38SC open gun loads. I had exactly one failure to fire with the Open gun; most likely due to a high primer as I had a few of those. I think the primers were a little oversize and they felt a little tight being seated in the .38SC cases. I would use their SP primers without hesitation for practice ammo if they were cheap enough. they are usually priced so close to Federal/Win/CCI that I dont even think about it and pay the extra $20 or so per 5k.