Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a CRP really ready to run?

SouthernYank

I am looking at Dawson's line of CRP (Competition Ready Pistols) STI Edges and am wondering how realistic it is to expect it to run right out of the box. I understand there will likely be some time spent matching my reloads and mags to the gun but for the most part, should it be reliable and not need additional work to make it consistently function? I have already seen a couple of stock STIs choke out of the box prior to getting sent off for work to make them run. The CRP really looks like a great deal, has the upgrades I would likely add anyway, and I love the idea of buying from a reputable forum dealer, but if I drop $2K on a blaster (no mags) and then need to have work done on it, I am starting to approach the custom gun price range......

Thanks in advance for the advice

I think you will be good to go..

Honestly even a stock edge will run reliably out of the box..

The whole you need to spend an extra grand to get it to run is bs..

You can spend the money to make it a litle nicer but all the stuff people suggest you change is a matter of opinion not fact..

My 2 cents..

Cheers,

Los

Just purchased and STI Edge from Dawson's this past fall, and I know this has nothing to do with them, but I am having nothing but issues. At first I just wrote it off to the gun being new. Have about 500 rounds through it and still having feeding issues. It rarely get through a whole mag without having a failure to feed, no matter what ammo I run.

Tried different mag followers and that seemed to help but it sure didn't fix the problem. Not sure if I'm more disappointed in the gun or the $60.00 magazines. Call me crazy, but when I dropped that kind of money on a 2011 and magazines, I kind of expected it to run reliably. The gun shoots accurate and is a pleasure to shoot, when it runs. Not sure if I should get the $100 tuning kit to get my mags tuned or sent the whole package back in so they can make it run. Money pit so far. Quite frustrated with the whole thing.

Tony D.

I bought a Super Tuned Edge from Dawson this past fall and have no complaints at all...it has run perfectly. Seeing how they offer three versions now (stock, CRP and Super Tuned), why not spend the extra bucks and get the super tuned? That one is not merely had some add ons, but Dave goes through the pistol himself. How do I know that? He called me about a minor issue, but wanted me to know about it BEFORE he sent it out. He gave me the option of them correcting it right away or letting me have it and then sending it back to them later. And the issue was cosmetic, not functional, but they wanted me to be happy.

Tony D - what version did you buy? Have you contacted them at all? I have run their tuned mags and the standard STI mags without any problems.

bigfish (Jon) - you've seen mine from Dawson, so you know they did a nice job...but wait until I get the slide back from Matt Cheely... :cheers:

Just my .02, but it is very common to have issues with an out of the box Edge or Trojan. I know Dave's super-tuned works, though. I had to send my stock Edge to Benny Hill and it was well worth it. Runs like a clock now, with any ammo. I would recommend Dave (since that is where you bought it) or Benny. Just like any tight tolerance high-performance machine, they need a little tuning.

The only problem I had with mine was I didnt reload the rounds at the proper OAL. I loaded them to short so the gun ran poorly, but as soon as I loaded them it ran perfect, no problems. That was my fault because I was told to load them out but didn't pay attention.

Dave Dawson is original designer of STI Edge and knows more about these pistols than anyone in the world! You can "what if" any pistol, but if you want best pistol and customer service only purchase from Dawson Precision. Do yourself huge favor and do not let another gunsmith touch pistol, if it needs any work contact Dave. In order to have Dave as you're gunsmith you must purchase from him, why settle for less than the best!

Shootemgood-

Robert Walker

Thanks for the advice guys. Been tinkering for a while and haven't checked the boards. I bought the stock STI Edge in .45. It really is a nice gun and Dawson's was great to work with when I purchased it. I really didn't know what I was getting in to and really should have done more research. This is my first 1911 style double stack gun and I had no idea what was involved with making them reliable. Had I known, I would bought the tuned model and would have taken a strong look at tuned mags.

A friend of mine has really helped me out a ton. We have been working the mags over and are on our way to success. He has tuned his mags and changed the followers and springs. We tried them in my gun and that seemed to solve my mag issues. I am optimistic it will run well when my mags are done and we get the gun sprung the way I want it. We have polished every friction surface on the gun and that really helped.

Seriously had no idea there would be this much involved with making an out of the box gun run. Even with factory 230 grain round nose I could not get through a complete mag without a failure to feed. Its a good thing I like tinkering.

Thanks again for the advice and comments.

Tony D.

• 1 year later...

Recently received a beautiful custom Edge from an Australian gunsmith. Trigger job, grips, sights, extended mag release, hard chrome finish. Very bummed, however. 5 of the 6 mags are so tight when loaded that they won't feed the rounds.

Edited by Meat Pie