Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heated Driveway

MarkCO

Picture or 2

Here is the pipe and underlayment before the driveway was poured: P2240015.jpg

Here is a photo last year sometime: IMG_20110208_171929.jpg

Got up this morning, had some oatmeal and coffee, pulled out of a warm garage onto a wet driveway and came to work.

Really not too much to these either. I know a guy who built a garage for various shop/car projects and put this floor in. It's a water heater with some aniti freeze mixture and a little pump, more or less right?

Really not too much to these either. I know a guy who built a garage for various shop/car projects and put this floor in. It's a water heater with some aniti freeze mixture and a little pump, more or less right?

Not for snow melt. A water heaters lower efficiency will kill you on gas costs. I have about 1200 feet of tubing, so no way a little pump will cut it.

Electric is good for about 400 square feet and less, entries and such. The majority are still liquid radiant, especially in high snow load areas. The concrete lasts longer with the liquid than the radiant also. I've torn out numerous electric systems only to install liquid systems. I've been designing more time-zone liquid systems for bathrooms lately also. Especially with the new energy codes, a sidearm delivery off a commericial water heater that also supplies domestic is cheaper and easier to permit than a separate electric system.

• 3 weeks later...

Electric is good for about 400 square feet and less, entries and such. The majority are still liquid radiant, especially in high snow load areas. The concrete lasts longer with the liquid than the radiant also. I've torn out numerous electric systems only to install liquid systems. I've been designing more time-zone liquid systems for bathrooms lately also. Especially with the new energy codes, a sidearm delivery off a commericial water heater that also supplies domestic is cheaper and easier to permit than a separate electric system.

That's what he said. I know of a few around here that are both liquid systems.

I also learned that all Mike's car washes in colder climates have heated concrete drives. That's a lot of concrete. I

So Mark, what exactly is running in the tubing, and how is it heated/pumped? VERY intrigued.....

I run a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Glycol. I have a Triangle Tube boiler just inside the one car garage. That has three 3 speed cartridge circulator pumps. One pushes the heated fluid from the boiler into a manifold to which there are 6 lengths of tubing connected. One pulls fluid out of the return manifold and pushes back into the boiler. The third pump pushes fluid into a fan-coil unit to heat the car/shop. I have a throttling cross-over line between the push and pull pumps to avoid and pressure drops and cavitation and fine tune the heat delivery.

I work with building automation. I always wondered what the cost/payback would be to tie sidewalk heating in with the automation and heating plant.

We spend a fortune on labour and ice melt salt to keep the sidewalks safe. It occurs to me that we could use heated sidewalks tied in to the automation to reduce our labour and liability costs.

For a large public building in our area, we couldn't afford to heat the sidewalks for months at a time. However, our period of greatest risk outside is at a time when our boilers are at thier lowest demand.

When the outside air temperature is close to freezing, we run the risk of snow turning to ice or rain turning to ice. Inside, the primary loop will be chugging along at 180F while the secondary loop will be running at a minimum setting. There's plenty of capacity to raise the sidewalk temperature to just above freezing.

When the OAT is above freezing, or well below freezing, it's not a big deal.

I swear that if I can ever come up with an excuse to redo my driveway, I'm getting the new one heated. I'd probably go with electric just for simplicity's sake. We just bought a home in the mountains of NC. While this winter has been mild, fully expect them to be nasty in years to come. This would be an incredible convenience.