Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr Shadow load?

doubleforte78

147gn CMJ Montana Gold. 3.3gn Titegroup. 1.100" OAL gives me more of "push" which is the type of recoil I prefer. Fast shooters don't like it though because they say that the slide cycles so slowly with 147gn bullets. When I can shoot fast enough to be waiting for the slide, I'll switch to 124gn. Until that time, though, I'm happy with the 147gn.

147gn CMJ Montana Gold. 3.3gn Titegroup. 1.100" OAL gives me more of "push" which is the type of recoil I prefer. Fast shooters don't like it though because they say that the slide cycles so slowly with 147gn bullets. When I can shoot fast enough to be waiting for the slide, I'll switch to 124gn. Until that time, though, I'm happy with the 147gn.

+1, plus my gun is more accurate with the heavier bullets:)

I am loading for CZ Shadow:

147 grain Montana Gold CMJ

3.2 grains Titegroup

Any primer that I have on hand usually Winchester.

1.120" OAL

Assorted Range Pickup Brass since at our club it is just about impossible to get your own brass back.

Gives me 129 Power Factor but last chrono day was cold.

Runs great in both Shadow and Glock 17.

When the sun is right we can see the Montana Gold in flight easier than any other bullet.

147 grain MG CMJ is slower than any other 147 bullet I have tried. Had to up the powder from the last 147 grain Precision Deltas I tried.

I like the MG's in 147 grain and they produced a good group on paper.

Bobby H.

Edited by atomicbrh

I am loading for CZ Shadow:

147 grain Montana Gold CMJ

3.2 grains Titegroup

Any primer that I have on hand usually Winchester.

1.120" OAL

Assorted Range Pickup Brass since at our club it is just about impossible to get your own brass back.

Gives me 129 Power Factor but last chrono day was cold.

Runs great in both Shadow and Glock 17.

When the sun is right we can see the Montana Gold in flight easier than any other bullet.

147 grain MG CMJ is slower than any other 147 bullet I have tried. Had to up the powder from the last 147 grain Precision Deltas I tried.

I like the MG's in 147 grain and they produced a good group on paper.

Bobby H.

I hate seeing my bullets when i shoot, very destracting.

poopshooter, Like you my son hates seeing the bullets also. I told him it should be no trouble calling your shots shooting a Minor Load. They are like tracers just walk them into the target.

Loki999, I have not tried 124 grain bullets by any manufacturer. I had to get rid of a couple hundred 20+ year old 115 grain Remington FMJ's. Point of impact was much higher than any of the 147 grain bullets I have tried.

147 grain impact would be lower than 124 grain. Others here with more experience can probably quote the exact amount. All the big 147 grain bullets sure do take the big poppers down better than any other 9 mm. Production bullet I have tried. The 115 grains even at the same power factor made the steel fall too slow.

Bobby H.

According to Galileo, all objects fall at the same speed regardless of weight. The amount of time the bullet will be in the air it's trajectory will be different because of difference muzzle velocities. Typical loads will have 147gn bullets flying slower than 124gn bullets. The slower 147gn bullet will be traveling a shorter horizontal distance, compared to the faster 124gn bullet. This leads to a lower POI for the 147gn as compared to the 124gn assuming a slower muzzle velocity for the former.

kenny, i forgot that adam let me try some jacketed 147s he made up loaded with 3.5 of solo 1k. no recoil at all, punches like a staple gun, and is relatively quiet sounding. don't know about accuracy or anything else though. we were at the chrono and it flew over 130 safely.

my personal preference is a very fast gun that cycles returns to battery asap. for me, the 124-125 range over TG does that. to me the 147s felt like i could eat a snicker bar (fun size, not king size) while waiting for the cycle to slide. lol. :cheers:

yesterday is was practicing on 60% targets at 25 meter and with the 145 grain load, the recoil was so soft the targets never left my sightpicture during recoil.

It think this laod has advantages for targets that are further away.

o and i'm beginning to seriously doubt myself because my POI from a bench was higher with the 145 grain vrs 124 grain.

Edited by Loki999

• 5 months later...

o and i'm beginning to seriously doubt myself because my POI from a bench was higher with the 145 grain vrs 124 grain.

That is my experience as well.

I think the theory is that the heavy slower rounds stay in the barrel longer during recoil. When the bullet exits the barrel the gun is further through the recoil stroke and therefore the barrel is pointed slightly higher.

I am running 147 gr Zero FMJ over 4.9 grains of AA#5 at an OAL of 1.150. I dont even touch the lands until about 1.173.

Not the lightest recoiling round but the 147s disrupt your grip less and I can grab a bad grip and have an easier time coping.

Load is way accurate, I can keep 10 rounds on a 3X5 index card at 25 yards freestyle which is pretty amazing for me since I have only shot about 3k rounds total from a handgun.

This round also feeds so much smoother than 115s or 125.

I think I am going to try Solo as recommended above.

Edited by ddpenn

• 2 months later...

I run the MG 147s loaded with 3.6 gns of VV n320. I load a little longer than some @ 1.140 and I could load even longer if I wanted in my Shadow custom. This is a good load for me with a PF of around 133. It should be noted though that I live at 5000 ft so those numbers might yield differently for other locations. This is also why I like the PF above 130 in case I travel to a non-local match.

147 grain impact would be lower than 124 grain.

No, the 147gr will have a higher point of impact than a 124gr bullet. Heavier bullets are launched at a higher angle because they're going slower, and spend more time in the barrel.

I had to prove this to someone just this past Wednesday. Our carry 9mm ammo is 147gr, our old training ammo was 124gr, and our new training ammo is 147gr (I ordered it so it would be the same as our carry ammo). The guy carries a G19, and was saying that with our new practice ammo he was hitting lower "because it's a heavier bullet". I had some leftover 124gr in my trunk, so I had him shoot 124gr, followed by 147gr, and the 147gr hit higher....like it always does. I don't know how much difference it is at 25yds...maybe 2" or less? In reality, it was just his poor shooting causing a problem.

147 grain impact would be lower than 124 grain.

No, the 147gr will have a higher point of impact than a 124gr bullet. Heavier bullets are launched at a higher angle because they're going slower, and spend more time in the barrel.

I had to prove this to someone just this past Wednesday. Our carry 9mm ammo is 147gr, our old training ammo was 124gr, and our new training ammo is 147gr (I ordered it so it would be the same as our carry ammo). The guy carries a G19, and was saying that with our new practice ammo he was hitting lower "because it's a heavier bullet". I had some leftover 124gr in my trunk, so I had him shoot 124gr, followed by 147gr, and the 147gr hit higher....like it always does. I don't know how much difference it is at 25yds...maybe 2" or less? In reality, it was just his poor shooting causing a problem.

This isn't something you can make a general statement about. Revolvers will almost always shoot heavier bullets higher for the reason you stated (barrel time/recoil).....autos are more unpredictable for some reason that I haven't been able to pin down. Just today, I bench tested my CZ P-01 at 25 yds. with several factory loads, 4 different 124 gr. and a single 147 gr. load. The Rem GS 124 +P shot about 2 inches higher than anything else. The 147 WW Ranger-T shot same elevation as the 124's, but a couple inches left.

A couple weeks ago, I was testing some loads in my SA XD45 5" also at 25 yds., and it was shooting right on top of the front sight with my 230 gr. HC lead load as well as most 230 defense stuff. I then tried my 275 gr. cast bullet load at 900 fps, expecting it to shoot higher than the 230's. I'll be damned if it didn't shoot a nice tight group a full 4-5" below point of aim. Bummed me out because I intended to run this as a woods load in this gun. This load in my Rem 1911 does indeed shoot slightly higher than 230's.