Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA 2012 Area 6 Championship - SOLD OUT!

USPSA 2012 Area 6 Championship

April 20-22 2012

Universal Shooting Academy

Frostproof, Florida

Get ready for the newest Team Challenge!

Area 6 is having a Team Challenge this year. Any corporate team can have one person in each division. The aggregate match points of the team is their score.

Cash Prize & Awards to the Team Sponsor

See the rules and more information at www.area6championship.com

12 Challenging stages

260 Round Count

360 Competitors

Registration & Squadding online at MatchSignUp

Starts January 15th

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why are the sponsors for the team challenge required to be corporations or LLCs? If Ralph's House of Bullets wants to sponsor a team and it is a mom and pop operation what is the difference? Not complaining but just asking.

Just has to be a business with an EIN

Mom and pop is ok as long as they have a tax id

Individual ssn doesn't work.

Edited by j33716

Why are the sponsors for the team challenge required to be corporations or LLCs? If Ralph's House of Bullets wants to sponsor a team and it is a mom and pop operation what is the difference? Not complaining but just asking.

Why does an individual social security number not work? It works fine on the "Price Is Right" and the Georgia Lottery and the car Shriners give away? The IRS does not care what type of tax number it is as long as it is reported and someone pays the tax.

Why does an individual social security number not work? It works fine on the "Price Is Right" and the Georgia Lottery and the car Shriners give away? The IRS does not care what type of tax number it is as long as it is reported and someone pays the tax.

Seems like a question for a tax accountant, which I am not. But just off the top of my head;

Price is Right - individual winner.

Lottery - individual winner or winners. Even if people pool their money, I know of no lottery that pays "ONE" person and expects them to dole out an equal amout to the other people who chipped in.

Shriner car winner - not sure how people would "share" a car, unless they're married.

I sure hope this Area 6 match thread doesn't deteriorate into complaints, bad-mouthing, and accusations like it did last year.

And now a word of from Mr.Positivity...

I just signed up for my first A6 match. I booked my flight about a month ago, signed my buddy and I up today via the line set up and we are now awaiting Thursday April 19th to take flight to Florida. Can't wait!!! Squad 25 Sat PM/Sun AM.

Take :sight: THAT :sight: , negativity!

Any prize money can be divided by the person issuing the award and you just submit a 10-99 for each person who receives the money. If you have a five person team receiving a total of $1000 you issue a 10-99 for $200 to each one. This happens all of the time when a group of people pool money and buy lottery tickets and win the thing.

Form 10-99 is simple as all it requires is the name and address and tax id of the party receiving the payment and the same information for the person issuing the payment. And if you issue multiple checks to different team members, you do not have to issue a 10-99 to anyone whose check is below the amount which triggers a 10-99 which I believe is $500.

The point is not to be negative but rather positive. This is a great idea for the match and has worked well at several others but I have never seen a match require a single corporate tax id. If individuals are allowed to get together and form a team, the participation in this portion of the match will soar. If they have to all hunt up a sponsor to accept the check and 10-99 and then pay out the money to each member of the team, there will be less teams who can enter.

If individuals are allowed to get together and form a team, the participation in this portion of the match will soar. If they have to all hunt up a sponsor to accept the check and 10-99 and then pay out the money to each member of the team, there will be less teams who can enter.

Uhhh, I think you missed the point of the team sponsorship. The point, as I read it, is to have a SINGLE company sponsor up to one person in each of the six divisions and make a CORPORATE team. It is NOT to have 1 person in each division get their own sponsor THEN form a team of different sponsors.

Or am I misreading your second sentence in the part I quoted?

Really are you going to do this all again this year and just belittle and question everything they post about the match? Why not just take all that crap to PM

If individuals are allowed to get together and form a team, the participation in this portion of the match will soar. If they have to all hunt up a sponsor to accept the check and 10-99 and then pay out the money to each member of the team, there will be less teams who can enter.

Uhhh, I think you missed the point of the team sponsorship. The point, as I read it, is to have a SINGLE company sponsor up to one person in each of the six divisions and make a CORPORATE team. It is NOT to have 1 person in each division get their own sponsor THEN form a team of different sponsors.

Or am I misreading your second sentence in the part I quoted?

I do not think your misreading it since that may well be the goal but its unclear. My sense is that the match is not really wanting to offer something to sponsored teams they do not offer to other sponsors or shooters. There are a few factor teams such as SV. STI on the other hand does not have a factory team but rather sponsors indivdual shooters. FN has a factory team. Para goes the indivdual shooter route.

Any prize money can be divided by the person issuing the award and you just submit a 10-99 for each person who receives the money. If you have a five person team receiving a total of $1000 you issue a 10-99 for $200 to each one. This happens all of the time when a group of people pool money and buy lottery tickets and win the thing.

Form 10-99 is simple as all it requires is the name and address and tax id of the party receiving the payment and the same information for the person issuing the payment. And if you issue multiple checks to different team members, you do not have to issue a 10-99 to anyone whose check is below the amount which triggers a 10-99 which I believe is $500.

The point is not to be negative but rather positive. This is a great idea for the match and has worked well at several others but I have never seen a match require a single corporate tax id. If individuals are allowed to get together and form a team, the participation in this portion of the match will soar. If they have to all hunt up a sponsor to accept the check and 10-99 and then pay out the money to each member of the team, there will be less teams who can enter.

I gotta stand up for my friend on this one. Charles isn't being negative; he's just asking a reasonable question: why only corporate teams under a single EIN? Why not also six buddies get together and form a team? If the simple answer back from the MD or AD is "because this is what we came up with", that's more than good enough and we move forward. But just because someone asks a measly question, it doesn't mean he or she is slamming the match or its personnel. Chill, people! :)

Is there a way to pay without using Google checkout? I don't have an account, and I'd rather not get another e-mail / on-line something account.

ETA Nevermind. What's one more on-line account? Signed up.

Edited by RAZZ

Charles,

I believe the intent is to generate Corporate interest, not to gin up team competitions among the shooters. Can you imagine if an outfit like Coke or Ford got involved and we could tap into their advertisement budgets? Speaking for myself, I think Jay is thinking outside the box, trying to broaden the sport's exposure.

My only wish is that a Corp team could put more folks in a division. I understand we don't want Team STI to flood Production division, or something like that, but my company has nothing but new shooters that wouldn't make a dent in any division. If a team could put up to three in a division I think it would be more fun and popular, since the "team" can actually shoot together on a squad in the same division. Too late for this event, but something to think about for the next team concept.

Erich

I think the intent of the "team Event" is to get a "Grudge" match between sponsors going.... With advertisement $$$ kinda slim these days, we have to find more ways to give our sponsors more play. The winning team story could get a lot more story line in something like the "Shooting Wire" or other media outlets. If S&W were to field a team and win.... you know they would plug it for everything its worth.... Same with any of the other manufacturers or suppliers....

With that being said... I think its going to be kinda hard to field a team with one in every division. The top 3 Divisions in shooter numbers are usually OPEN, LIMITED and PRODUCTION. Why not just field a team of 5 with mandatory 1 in each of those divisions (total 3) and the other 2 could be in any of the 6 divisions.

Think about this... at last years Area 6... There were a grand total of 4 Revolver shooters...... That SUX