Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frostproof suitable for the World Shoot?

RAZZ

I looked around a little and didn't see that this question had been posed already, so I figured I'd throw this out. I have been shooting the FL Open (and now A6) at Frostproof now for over 10 years. It's a great range, and Frank has made some incredible improvements over the last couple of years. That being said, I've read in Front Sight all the World Shoot coverage, seen the pictures of all the 'pomp and circumstance' that seems to go along with foreign matches (especially the WS) and I wonder if Frostproof will be an acceptable location--not the range, the area. Will shooters who have been to other World Shoots be disappointed in the area--hotels and food being so far away, reasonably sketchy host town, etc. I have never been to a WS, so I can't comment, but if any of you have, do you think we can pull it off?

Edited by RAZZ

Good question.

A lot of folks go for the shooting.

But, big IPSC matches seem to have the 'pomp and circumstance' as an expectation, as well.

I am sure that Frank, Manny, and their crew are aware of that.

I do believe they had a couple of folks from the local/regional tourist/chamber boards that helped out with their presentation for the WS.

??

I dont think they would have put together the presentation and taken the time if they didnt think they could pull off a quality match. I have never been to a WS myself, but I hope to change that in a couple years. :cheers:

I dont think they would have put together the presentation and taken the time if they didnt think they could pull off a quality match. I have never been to a WS myself, but I hope to change that in a couple years. :cheers:

The OP was not questioning the quality of the Match. Its the surrounding communities offerings. Having been there myself I fully understand the Question. Unless you are into Orange groves their is little else close by.

People will mostly be focused on the shooting on match days. The days leading up to or the days following the match, people can stay in Orlando, which has plenty to offer. Us Florida folks need to be kind and offer our out of town guest bug spray and sunscreen. Frostproof has genetically enhanced blood sucking hawks certain times of the year.

Folks who have never been to the US should stay at the River Ranch Resort. :devil: that way they can experience all that America is in one location, Rodeos, Airboat rides, bottomless buffets, miniature golf, and rooms from the 50's. It's questionable how the area will sit with foreign travelers, could be the best experience of their lives. I love the range, hate the area. But I would go the WS in a heartbeat.

I have been to the last 4 WS, and was on staff RO'ing the last 2 ... There is no reason why Frostproof, along with Frank and Manny, cannot pull this off with success.

As has been stated, during the match, the main emphasis by virtually EVERYONE is on the match and shooting. Before or after the match central Florida is a wonderful jumping-off spot for many things that will interest both US and International guests. No one will be required to remain solely in Frostproof!

I would also wonder if all the "travelers" will get rental cars. Would they be required to get a US driving permit?

That many shooters driving their own cars will be a catastrophe, not nearly enough parking.

I'm sure Frank has this figured out, busing people in would be my guess.

You don't need a US driving permit to rent a car in USA. Just a copy of your driving permit from your home country. If staying more than 90 days then you need to apply for a US drivers permit (and pass the test).

I think that providing bus transport from match hotel(s) to the range is a mandatory requirement of hosting an IPSC World Shoot (though I may be wrong on that issue).

1 - No, the dates have not as yet been determined. I suggest watching this site for clues and announcements.

2 - I don't know if bus transportation is a part of the contract to hold the WS or not ... But it is certainly the normal practice. I will be shocked if there is not some sort of arrangement along these lines.

3 - I wouldn't get too wrapped up with folks staying in Frostproof propper. As long as they keep folks withing about 20 miles (or so) of the range and provide transportation, things will work out just fine.

Edited by Schutzenmeister

Right, twenty minutes in that area takes you 18 miles, as opposed to 4 miles in Rhodes. Considering the ease of travel and the wealth of things to do on the coasts and in Orlando it's a good choice. Vegas might have made a bit more sense from a pure entertainment/proximity standpoint but I think Frank deserves a shot. He's been running some great matches down there.

Lake Wales is a 25 minute, and very simple smooth cruise (only 2 or 3 traffic lights and a fair amount of 50-65 mph road) to Franks place. It has a number of very good hotel/motels (I stay at the Green Gables, which has an excellent restaurant right next door). You could easily handle 400+ shooters in Lake Wales alone. There is also a 24 hour IHOP for an early breakfast, and a McDonalds in Frostproof (six minutes from the range and on the way from Lake Wales) that opens at 6:00 AM for those that want a quick bite.

If a good map of the area (noting restaurants and motels)is available from the MD, it should not be a problem Universal Shooting Academy has the range facilities to handle any USPSA or IDPA match (I shot the IDPA Worlds there in 2011, along with other matches). It's very workable. Just do it during the dry season (Oct-Feb) and you're good to go.

Edited by GOF

• 4 weeks later...