Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best powders for accuracy 9mm Luger

p5200

Yeah Ron. Always glad to share the info.

Having come from loading for many years and early on mostly for accuracy events like bullseye pistol, long range handgun silhouette, and old school PPC, I guess I'm somewhat of an accuracy addict. I know shooting plates up close or A-zones at 7 yards the differance doesn't really matter but on the longer or tighter stuff, I just want to know that I made a bad shot if I miss.

I orignally didn't include AA#2 in my 9mm testing and was actually pretty happy with N320 but I remembered shooting a ton of WW231 and Bullseye in PPC then someone turned me on to AA#2 for 38 and it shot better and cleaner. So, since I had some on hand after checking the manuals I decided to try it in 9 and viola!

I haven't shot it behind 147's as I prefer the 124/125 jacketed and both my 9's shoot them great. I find recoil/sight picture recovery to be excellant. I let one of my shooting bud's run some in my XD the other day and he smiled and said "are you sure those make minor?"

My favorite load is Win WSP primer, Zero 125 (.356")bullet or Hornady 125HAP loaded to 1.125" OAL with 3.85 grs. AA#2 in FC or Win brass. It chrono's(oehler 35P): 1051FPS=131PF, Extreme spread=15FPS, SD=5, 10 shot string, out of my 5" barrel.

Any use of this data is, of course at your own risk :surprise:

The Accurate manual I have shows:

For 124 gr JHP out of 4" barrel 3.7=930, 4.1 (max)=1057 .

For 147 jacketed out of 4" barrel 3.6=781 and 4.0 (max)=888

For 145 RN lead bullets out of 4" barrel 3.3=786, and 3.7 (max)=893

As always start low and work-up B)

Let me know if you try it out and how it works for you

Don

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Ron. Always glad to share the info.

Having come from loading for many years and early on mostly for accuracy events like bullseye pistol, long range handgun silhouette, and old school PPC, I guess I'm somewhat of an accuracy addict. I know shooting plates up close or A-zones at 7 yards the differance doesn't really matter but on the longer or tighter stuff, I just want to know that I made a bad shot if I miss.

I orignally didn't include AA#2 in my 9mm testing and was actually pretty happy with N320 but I remembered shooting a ton of WW231 and Bullseye in PPC then someone turned me on to AA#2 for 38 and it shot better and cleaner. So, since I had some on hand after checking the manuals I decided to try it in 9 and viola!

I haven't shot it behind 147's as I prefer the 124/125 jacketed and both my 9's shoot them great. I find recoil/sight picture recovery to be excellant. I let one of my shooting bud's run some in my XD the other day and he smiled and said "are you sure those make minor?"

My favorite load is Win WSP primer, Zero 125 (.356")bullet or Hornady 125HAP loaded to 1.125" OAL with 3.85 grs. AA#2 in FC or Win brass. It chrono's(oehler 35P): 1051FPS=131PF, Extreme spread=15FPS, SD=5, 10 shot string, out of my 5" barrel.

Any use of this data is, of course at your own risk :surprise:

The Accurate manual I have shows:

For 124 gr JHP out of 4" barrel 3.7=930, 4.1 (max)=1057 .

For 147 jacketed out of 4" barrel 3.6=781 and 4.0 (max)=888

For 145 RN lead bullets out of 4" barrel 3.3=786, and 3.7 (max)=893

As always start low and work-up B)

Let me know if you try it out and how it works for you

Don

Thaks a bunch I'm going to snag a jug of it and try it out in my CZ Shadow. I know all about risk, I run mostly 9 major. I first looked at AA#2 for 40 but really didn't find much info. I shoot a couple matches that have poppers out at 40 yards and routine targets at that distance.

Hello: I know an old PPC shooter who uses AA#2 with Precision Moly bullets in 40. They are very accurate and so is he. He also told me to try them for 9mm which I have not tried. I know the spreads for 40 are great, like 7 or so with 170 grain bullets. It would make sense that it should work great for 9mm also. I have been using Tite Group with 147's at 131PF and they are very accurate in my Glock 34 for IDPA. Thanks, Eric

Thanks a bunch I'm going to snag a jug of it and try it out in my CZ Shadow. I know all about risk, I run mostly 9 major. I first looked at AA#2 for 40 but really didn't find much info. I shoot a couple matches that have poppers out at 40 yards and routine targets at that distance.

You're welcome Ron. Put up a post or shoot me a pm and let me know how it shoots for you in your CZ.

Don

Here you go guys:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

Page 5 of metalic loading data for 9mm

Edited by reptoid

Thanks for the AA#2 recommendation! I own a cz75b with a beautiful 2.5 no creep trigger. In the last the three years have tried quite a few differed loads and could not get a real good group out of it..Sure a 2.5-3" group at 25 yard off a rest for this type of gun was alright for what it's intended use was. My best loads were using wst and 231 with a MG 124 JHP...I'd run the bullets at about 1030 or so and @ 30' count shoot a bunch through a 2-3" hole off hand. It has about 6,000-7,000 rounds through it.

This post got me thinking I should try and get better accuracy out of the gun again. So I got a jug of #2 and went a testing....My oal with the MG 124 JHP is 1.085, this is due to it's short throat. I started at 3.7 and did loads 3.8, 3.9, 4.0 and one at 4.1. Did three 5 shot groups of each. I shot off a crappy plastic rest at 50' ( indoor range)....3.7 970 ave 2.8" group( this load showed a bit of vertical stringing).....,3.8 1008 ave....2" group, 3.9 1040 ave .7" group, 4.0 1068 ave 1" group, 4.1 1101 ave 1.3" group.

All I got to say is that 3.9 with that oal in my gun is a very accurate load. That was with 15 rounds, I did pull one but I disallowed it during averging, .7 was just too good to ruin :)..Soft shooting and meters real good.. Thanks again!

Put up a post or shoot me a pm and let me know how it shoots for you in your CZ.

Don

reptoid,

Not to start a massive drift, but what load(s) do you use with AA2 in .38 Special?

A new thread for that specific information would be GREAT !!

- Admin.

Thanks for the AA#2 recommendation! I own a cz75b with a beautiful 2.5 no creep trigger. In the last the three years have tried quite a few differed loads and could not get a real good group out of it..Sure a 2.5-3" group at 25 yard off a rest for this type of gun was alright for what it's intended use was. My best loads were using wst and 231 with a MG 124 JHP...I'd run the bullets at about 1030 or so and @ 30' count shoot a bunch through a 2-3" hole off hand. It has about 6,000-7,000 rounds through it.

This post got me thinking I should try and get better accuracy out of the gun again. So I got a jug of #2 and went a testing....My oal with the MG 124 JHP is 1.085, this is due to it's short throat. I started at 3.7 and did loads 3.8, 3.9, 4.0 and one at 4.1. Did three 5 shot groups of each. I shot off a crappy plastic rest at 50' ( indoor range)....3.7 970 ave 2.8" group( this load showed a bit of vertical stringing).....,3.8 1008 ave....2" group, 3.9 1040 ave .7" group, 4.0 1068 ave 1" group, 4.1 1101 ave 1.3" group.

All I got to say is that 3.9 with that oal in my gun is a very accurate load. That was with 15 rounds, I did pull one but I disallowed it during averging, .7 was just too good to ruin :)..Soft shooting and meters real good.. Thanks again!

You're welcome, glad you like it!

If you are wanting pure accuracy, then a 115 JHP at 1.085 loaded with 4.8 to 5.0 of N340. Bullseye shooters are using this load with Nosler 115 JHP or Hornady XTP. I use this load with Precision delta 124 JHP. Another powder for extreme accuracy is Alliant Power Pistol. 5.4 to 6.0 grains with 124 JHP depending on OAL I use 1.120 with PD 124 JHP and this powder. I also did extensive testing with my Ransom Rest. My best RR group in an EAA Limited is .75" for a five shot average at 25 yds.

What velocity were you getting with this load for the 115 gr JHP? or What power factor??

Thank you in advance :)

I've got a DW PM-9 that has the slide lightened by Chuck Warner and I'm looking for a reallly accurate steel plate load, hopefully around 975-1000 fps with a 115 gr JHP. I don't need to knock any steel over with it, so power factor is not an issue.

Edited by Newby

I was shooting 147's with Clays. While the recoil was uber soft the accuracy was not great and as time went on I began to think the bullet stability was marginal (judging from the shape of the holes in targets).

I worked a bunch of loads using 124's with Clays, Universal, TiteGroup, and WSF. I don't have access to a chronograph but relied on published data to keep muzzle velocity in the 1000-1100fps range.

None of the new loads shot as soft as the 147's with Clays...which is what I expected. Clays with 124's had acceptable recoil and accuracy was fair. Universal was about the same but with somewhat higher felt recoil. I keep coming back to TiteGroup because so many people rave about it but I'm not getting it. One again, accuracy was nothing to brag about and recoil was the worst of the bunch. WSF had the best accuracy was second only to Clays in recoil. With WSF I have bullet holes touching which I have not seen since shooting my 1911 Gold Cup.

So, going to load up a batch of 124GN flat point Berry's plated over 4.7GN WSF. The trade off is much better accuracy for slightly more recoil. Time will tell.

I keep coming back to TiteGroup because so many people rave about it but I'm not getting it. One again, accuracy was nothing to brag about and recoil was the worst of the bunch. WSF had the best accuracy was second only to Clays in recoil. With WSF I have bullet holes touching which I have not seen since shooting my 1911 Gold Cup.

I have had similar experiences with both Titegroup and WSF. TG is very snappy and accuracy was OK but not stellar. WSF has a slower recoil impulse but the accuracy was much better.

I have a new 9mm bullseye 1911 with Kart barrel.

I just cant get rounds to group..............I am using 4.gn N320 with a 124gn RN lead bullet OAL of 1145. taper crimped to .376.

The barrel is resting on on the legs ok and the bushing is EGW with tight fit to slide.

I have another 1911 .45 built to the same spec shoots x ring timed and rapid indoors all day if I do my part.

Any thoughts.

I just cant get rounds to group..............I am using 4.gn N320 with a 124gn RN lead bullet OAL of 1145. taper crimped to .376.

The barrel is resting on on the legs ok and the bushing is EGW with tight fit to slide.

I have another 1911 .45 built to the same spec shoots x ring timed and rapid indoors all day if I do my part.

Any thoughts.

Yes, switch from the N320! There is a cult mentality on this forum about about N320 but the truth is that this powder is not as accurate as some make it out to be. This powder meters well and is very clean. It works OK for Action Pistol games but, for the price you pay for it, I would have expected it to be the cat's meow. There are many better and less expensive powder options available that will produce significantly better accuracy.

I used N320 for years in my 9mm. This latest shortage of N320 got me thinking for a "backup" powder. I tested WSF and I really like it. Bullet for bullet it is more accurate than N320, cheaper and the recoil seems the same to me. I'm going to start using it as a primary powder.

Any thoughts.

Who makes the bullet?

If you are wanting pure accuracy, then a 115 JHP at 1.085 loaded with 4.8 to 5.0 of N340. Bullseye shooters are using this load with Nosler 115 JHP or Hornady XTP. I use this load with Precision delta 124 JHP. Another powder for extreme accuracy is Alliant Power Pistol. 5.4 to 6.0 grains with 124 JHP depending on OAL I use 1.120 with PD 124 JHP and this powder. I also did extensive testing with my Ransom Rest. My best RR group in an EAA Limited is .75" for a five shot average at 25 yds.

I happened to have some N340 on hand, and tried your 4.8 grain load with a 124 PD JHP at 1.085 and 1.095" OALs with a .375 crimp.

I shot two 2.55" (each) 15 round groups at 25 yards out of a Glock 17 from a flimsy club Caldwell shooting rest. I think there's more left and it's a true sub 2" performer from a Glock. I'm not the best shot, and I was fairly impressed with the consistency. It clocked 1,055 fps across my chrono.