Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 Pistol

Bob Hostetter

Ditto, just got one for my grandson and we put over 1000 rds thru it in a week with no issues, great little steel gun.

After I put a VQ extractor in my MKIII 22/45 I can't remember the last time I had a jam. My gun loves CCI SV ammo. Super fun to shoot.

Where and how much? have been looking for one ever since I saw Jesse Harrision shooting one with some mods a few years back.

SW Model 41 with CCI Standard Velocity ammo

+ 1 gotta :wub: the model 41

I couple years ago when I started shooting pistols I tried a Kimber 22 rimfire super or something like that (1911 style), I put a JPoint on it and fired 2800 rounds with

not one failure of any kind, I sold it to buy a custom 22..

I was very impressed..

What is the absolutely most reliable 22 pistol available that has a grip angle close to a 1911/2011 ?

Smith & Wesson 41 with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. Herrets Custom Grip.

Backup gun Dedicated Caspian single stack frame (previously on 2011 frame like the skinny gun better) with Marvel Unit 1. CCI Standard Velocity Ammo or Eley Std Vel Pistol Match.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Ruger 22/45 with a volquartsen extractor, runs like a Timex. And the mags are easy to load with the speedloader "thingy". 1911 conversion mags pain in the butt to load.

Edited by BrianATL

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: They all work pretty well when using ammo that they like. We use a Ruger 22/45, 2 Browning Buckmarks and a model 41. The pistol that will run with most any ammo are the Buckmarks. The model 41 likes CCI SV as long as the ammo does not have too much lube. The Ruger seems to like Federal Walmart bulk box the best. Thanks, Eric

I read an article recently, I believe in the Front Sight mag, about how the top shooter shooters in the .22 division of steel challenge all say the person with the most reliable gun/ammo will be at the top.

Even they have troubles consistently getting a .22 to race.

I have tried them all...1911 types that is....Marvel Unit 1 and 2. Tacsol uppers in 1911 and Ruger. My threads are around here somewhere... :wacko:

What always worked....My 22/45. What is ole reliable....Ruger 22/45 and not the Mk III.

I was fortunate to get picked up by Volquartsen as a sponsor and I have their Lightweight upper on my Mk II 22/45 frame.

I shot over 7500 rds last year in practice and competition with my Volquartsen Rifle and pistol, both Ruger Rimfire and Steel Challenge. The guns just run with CCI standard ammo. Run a bore snake through them every 1K of ammo and scrape out the crud and use some oil.

My smith told me years ago that it would be tough to get the conversions 100% all the time due to the grip angle and feeding needs of the .22s.

Now, I have a Tacsol upper setup for open for my STIs that I shoot during the winter indoors, and it gobbles up Federal bulk box all the time, but I have settled on the Ruger Volquartsen set up and it finally makes me happy!

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

DougC

Smith & Wesson Model 422 is a cheaper version of the 41. It's lighter, uses same magazines and always works. My tacSol conversion is as finicky as my wife, the 41 (old one w/ cock indicator) seems to work 80% of the time and the 422 never gives me any trouble.

Once I swapped out the extractor, my 22/45 MkIII works without a hitch. If you run lead rounds with gummy lube, it could eventually cause feeding problems if you don't clean your mags. Other than that, just about any ammo seems to run just about 100%.

The only 41 I had experience with was a fellow club member. His messed up and had to go back to S&W for warranty. Came back and runs perfectly now. I can't really recall exactly what the problem was but IIRC, it seems his FP damaged the breach face...

I have put over 50,000 rds. through a model 41 in the last 8 years. I have had to replace an extractor once, it broke. The only other time I had a problem was due to a ton of crud built up in the firing pin hole causing the firing pin to stick forward. Great .22s

Edited by MB DOC

Ruger 22/45, snapped a firing pin once and have a VQ extractor standing by... Have the original 5.5" bull upper with irons and a MKIII Tactical/threaded upper with red-dot.

An original High Standard target pistol made in the Hamden, CT factory with a bunch of good original magazines is a WONDERFUL thing. Extremely reliable, incredibly accurate, and they have awesome triggers. The "military-grip" models have the same grip angle as the 1911.

You can spend all kinds of money sticking accessories on a Ruger, but deep in your heart you'll know you're only trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have and have used High Standard and Buckmark. Thought they were pretty good until now. Found a NOS Smith 41, bought a bunch of mags from Brownells and some CCI standard Velocity. Now at about 3000 rounds I have had ONE malfunction (probably because I haven't cleaned it yet) They are heavy and I am in the midst of lightening this one a bunch but it runs for sure

So, with so many "mine is 100% reliable" posts, how do we reconcile that with the fact that the pro's have issues getting their .22's to run, per last issue of Front Sight?

You would think if so many people have 100% reliable .22 pistols that the pros would have a couple also.