Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 single stack

Bsbllrooster

Ok so I am pretty sure that this has been covered before but my search yielded no useful results. I love the way that the 2011 feels in my hands but really don't care at all for the single stack guns. I think this might be because of the square shape of the 2011 vs the oval shape of the 1911. Is there some sort of 2011 style grip that accepts single stack mags and if so, could it be used in single stack division?

Does anyone currently make one?

The rule book states, "Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public

and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John

M. Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory

originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal."

So would this grip be allowed in single stack or is not considered based on "the original 1911 service pistol"

Has anyone competed with one in the past in SS division??

Thanks z40ACP, I was afraid of that. I also remember seeing some grips for a single stack that were squared and were made to mimic the 2011 grip. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I recall want2race making some out of G-10 or something. Can't find the post now though.

eta: Found it.

My link

Edited by a.roberts

Thanks z40ACP, I was afraid of that. I also remember seeing some grips for a single stack that were squared and were made to mimic the 2011 grip. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I know exactly what you're talking about. They were sold by Pinnacle guns. When I was trying to get one, back in 2006, the owner of the shop said he was having issues with his supplier, and didn't think he was going to sell any more. :(

Hello: I was the one looking for the 2011 single stack grip. I have one now and it does have spacers on the inside that are glued in. That is the easy part. The mag release is special moving the mag catch over so it will hold the single stack mag. I am thinking of making some spacers for my STI aluminum grip and using the single stack mag catch from the STI single stack grip. I wonder if it would be single stack legal then since it would be all metal? I actually bought the grip to put on a limited 2011 pistol to shoot a 22 upper with and use single stack mags that could also be used on a 1911 frame along with the 22 upper. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I don't think a S_I modular gun will ever be allowed in Single Stack Div., the upper part of the frame is like a JMB design but the lower portion isn't. Caspian made insert panels for there HC frame and that one would have more of a chance of being used in SS but, I don't think it would be allowed either. These frames are designed to be double stacks not ss adaptable.

Rich

I would say I hate to be the devil's advocate, but I don't. When the Appendix D5 Special Conditions states "have their basis in the original" I feel the Series 80 is more a violation than the wide grip of an S_I 2011. The "Frames must be metal." does seem to stop the S_I but not the Caspian. You probably could argue that the wide to narrow mag to frame fit provides a competative advantage though.

Weren't the original 1911's designed without one of the safties?

Leam

• 3 weeks later...