Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 USPSA 3G Nats...

I shot the RO pre-match and I've got to say, debugging the stages in that gusting 30+ mph wind was a huge thing for helping the match run well. All the ROs went through their stages with a fine tooth comb before any shots were fired and smoothed the edges as best we could. I know we removed a 180 trap on stage 3; I'm not sure about the rest of the stages.

Our squad started on stage 2 around 1pm on Wednesday and had a lot of problems in the wind. It was so strong that it kept the left side full popper (that would have activated the drop turner) from falling a few times, even when hit with full 9 major loads right in the center of the calibration zone and once it was hit a few times and activated the drop turner, the wind kept the drop turner from turning and activating... We were almost all done with our squad shooting the stage when it was decided to turn the drop turner into a static target and reshoot our squad. We ended up finishing only 4 stages on Wednesday and shooting the other 8 on Thursday. What a marathon day that was. It really is a testament to how well the stages were designed and how efficient they were able to be run to be able to shoot 8 of them in one day and not be shooting the last one in the dark. I think we finished around 6:45pm. The sun was almost over the horizon but there was still plenty of light.

The shooters in the main match lucked out and had really mild weather compared to what was forecast and what we shot in on Wednesday. I know the wind blew through strong from time to time and we had a few rain drops, but overall not bad at all and I actually preferred it to the sunshine we got on Sunday, haha.

This was my second time shooting the Multigun Nationals and first time ROing and this was the best match I've participated in. The stages were great, like I said the RO shoot eliminated a lot of reshoots and debugged the stages quite well; our stage was turning around shooters in 3-5 minutes on average and running ahead of schedule for most of the match. I know it wasn't the same case for the stages in the back (7ish-12) but they're longer stages with more to reset so it's to be expected to run longer times shooter to shooter.

I had a great time; the prize table was good and treated me well. Hopefully this match will continue to treat me well and become one of the must go to matches based on the feedback from shooters. I know it is for me already. I'm really looking forward to the combined rulebook. I've been warned that it's really different from the USPSA handgun and other rulebooks, but that's ok, multigun is a different animal, it's only fair we treat it as such.

Taran's match video there is awesome. I was thinking to myself while ROing, how few people there were filming and how I really would like to see how the top guys do it and where they make up so much time and shoot so fast. It's like time itself stands still for these guys. I'll have my match video up in a few days, I used a contourHD and iPhone for footage so it's a lot to go through for 12 stages :)

Edited by MustangGreg66

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching Tarans's video and hearing from a few guys that shot the match it sounds like y'all did a great job. I also heard the prize table was better too! And those trophies?!?! Those looked sweet even on my iPhone video!!! I was thinking those would make a great pimp goblet for the after match libations!!! I'll be there next year for sure, if the match is back in the 2nd half of the season.

SNIP...if the match is back in the 2nd half of the season.

You best get your campaign fired up and talk to Phil S. on that one...

The schedule issue, at least for those of us on the ground in Vegas had a lot to do with trying to set both MG and the Back-to-Back HG Nat's in two consecutive months. I heard it was a fair strain on the crew at USPSA HQ as well. It's hard enough to block out 10-15 days to set, shoot and tear down a major match without trying to do it two months in a row.

Here in Vegas we get 2 months of reasonably decent weather in the fall and two in the spring. It seems like whenever we try to plan something outside those windows (like this year's SHOT Show match) the odds on good weather get a little longer.

Different parts of the country have similar challenges. I'd love to go back to Rockcastle for any kind of match but especially BRM3G. As long as there aren't any tornados in town the same weekend.

Edit to add: Mark is right, Phil is the one that has to make that call. Sad thing is he'll have to take crap from somebody no matter what he decides...

Edited by Blockhead

I'd love to go back to Rockcastle for any kind of match but especially BRM3G. As long as there aren't any tornados in town the same weekend.

Moved to October, should be better...

I think he's been avoiding me ever since!

Doesn't the BOD vote on Date and location?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I think he's been avoiding me ever since!

Doesn't the BOD vote on Date and location?

Don't think so. One of the main jobs of the President is the National Matches.

Per the latest copy of the bylaws on the website (2/2012), one of the responsibilities of the BOD are the "strategies for the format and location of the National Championship Matches". (Article 5.1)

The President's duties include:"serve as, or designate, the Match Director of, and have full and final authority concerning the United States National Championships". (Article 7.2)

I'd love to go back to Rockcastle for any kind of match but especially BRM3G. As long as there aren't any tornados in town the same weekend.

Moved to October, should be better...

rr

I can not speak for them but hosting the USPSA MG would be a step down as to the matches Rockcastle is currently hosting. But since the matches at that venue always fill, it would be a huge benefit to USPSA.

USPSA is a bay match hostirically isnt it? Take it to USSA, Frostproof or some other big time bay style range.

Maui sounds great! Make it January.

Have you skipped the last few MG Nats? Put the MG Nats at Rockcastle or a range without bays and it will do just fine.

As far as the BOD, we do not get a vote on anything except multi year contracts that extend beyond the Presidents term

Charles...not surprised. Maybe next year you can come and see you wrong you were instead of complaining from afar. I had several shooters, including one I never ever expected I would hear say this, tell me it was the best multi gun match they shot. USPSA/IMGA didn't matter, simply the best. That said, I don't agree and still see areas to improve. But the MG matches of three or more years ago are gone. This was a legitimate National Championship.

Glad to hear it!! Maybe back to PASA/Berry which was the original contracted site for National Level Matches??

Which would be a terrible idea. Move the premier practical matches to a state which has anti-gun policies...

Personal likes or dislikes of politics should have no bearing on the match. PASA is centrally located and was originally built with the concept of hosting these matches. They have/had all the pieces of the puzzle in place and have done an outstanding job in the past.

This is Barry, IL, not Chicago!!

Edited by Jack T

Personal likes or dislikes of politics should have no bearing on the match. PASA is centrally located and was originally built with the concept of hosting these matches. They have/had all the pieces of the puzzle in place and have done an outstanding job in the past.

This is is Barry, IL, not Chicago!!

Yeah Chicago should be its own state within Illinois!

Regarding the discussion of next year's venue:

I agree with Chuck that while this was a great match (and it was exceptional), there is always room for improvement. I wasn't as involved in this year's match but I know the folks that were pretty well. They listen to constructive feedback. It would be great if this thread focused on what was great about this match and what could've been done better.

As venues go, the perfect location doesn't exist. Every possible location has it's good side and it's bad. What sets them apart isn't necesarily the soil conditions, the weather or the geographical location. It's the human resouces that are willing and able to take it on that make the difference. If you're tempted to take this on, make sure your family and your employer are willing and able to support it as well.

Regarding the discussion of next year's venue:

I agree with Chuck that while this was a great match (and it was exceptional), there is always room for improvement. I wasn't as involved in this year's match but I know the folks that were pretty well. They listen to constructive feedback. It would be great if this thread focused on what was great about this match and what could've been done better.

As venues go, the perfect location doesn't exist. Every possible location has it's good side and it's bad. What sets them apart isn't necesarily the soil conditions, the weather or the geographical location. It's the human resouces that are willing and able to take it on that make the difference. If you're tempted to take this on, make sure your family and your employer are willing and able to support it as well.

Well said there old man, missed shooting with you boys!!!!! :eatdrink: LL

Charles, you have no idea how wrong you are! I promised myself back in November not to post on this forum unless it was an extraordinary circumstance, well the Nationals have proved to be just that! This was the funnest 3-gun match I have shot in many years. The stages were fantastic, the flying stuff were bonuses as they should have been, all the props were good and properly used! Pete did an outstanding job, as did the rest of everyone involved. This was the equil of the old Mesa matches!

As to the venue, the Desert Sportsman club offers many advantages for hosting matches far beyond all most any other. The main one is the colour of the terrain which is light enough to never need any type of "backer" for long range rifle targets. I for one would welcome shooting at this venue for EVERY 3-gun National Great job USPSA!!!!