Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

0.125 front sight our 0.100 sight?

Glockdirtyfour

Hi,

i am using a 0.125 front fiber optic sight on my glock 34 production pistol. I am wondering if there would be a performance increase from going to the 0.125 to 0.100 front side width.

Has anyone made this transition in sights? What are your opinions and thoughts?

Thanks.

(thanks air cooled6racer for the correction)

Edited by Glockdirtyfour

Hello: You are using a very wide front sight if it is 1.250" or is that metric :roflol: I went from a 0.125" to a 0.100" sight and it help me alot. It gives more light on either side and makes small plates easier to see at 25 yards. I use the Warren rear sight and a Dawson fiber front with a green insert on my Glock 34. Thanks, Eric

+1 for Warren sights. I have several Glocks with Trijicon or Meprolight sights on them and there is almost no light showing on teh sides of teh front sight. AT almost 60, my eyes do not focus as well as they used to. I am currently using mostly Warren Tacical Sevigny competition sights. On a G24 they are abour 1/3 light, 1/3 front sight and 1/3 light. Mo'betta.

I shoot a cz tactical sport and its unlike just about every other pistol I've looked at with regard to sight picture. The rear sight is very gappy. Like small canyon gappy and the front sight is very narrow. I'll make measurements when I get home. It's so exaggerated that the first time you get a sight picture you'll wonder if you'll like it or not. What I'm driving at is that I like it a lot. Your eyes will naturally want to center the front sight. My vote is go with a more narrow front. I seriously doubt you'll have regret.

well, i measured the front and rear sight on the tactical sport and the rear measures at .165" and the front at .095"

so the front isnt all that skinny but the rear sight is larger than most. the combo works well for me though.

Edited by cletus9mm

Accuracy will be better since your narrow sight is more precise. However, you will be a little slower acquiring your sight picture. So it's a trade off.

We are actually finding just the opposite to be true.

We get much faster sight acquisition with a narrow front sight for an acceptable sight picture when shooting fast.

-Chet

Shoot a box: front sight all the way right , all the way left at an A zone at 10yds, and 25yds. Shoot at each corner of the A zone with the front sight all the way right and all the way left. Thats where your gun will shoot when your sights aren't centered. You can't shoot really fast if the light bars are your concentration area. Go for the .100.

I went from a .150 (stock) to a .100 (Dawson FO) to a .115 (Defoor Tactical) front sight, all with a .150 wide rear. I dig the .115 the best. The .100 was a little thin to me, I found it to be too hard to align the top of such a thin front sight along the top of the rear sight. I have much better precision with the .115 with just enough light on either side to be able to see steel plates really well.

Coupled with a .150 rear, I don't think I'll ever go smaller than a .110 or so front sight in the future.

All of my guns have Bomar type rear sights with the notches in the .125-.130 range. I used to run .125 front blades, but after trying a Dawson .100 front blade in my STI 2011 I've switched all of them over to .100 front sights. I'm 57 and my eyes aren't what they used to be, but my 19 year old son likes the .110 front sights better too.

Accuracy will be better since your narrow sight is more precise. However, you will be a little slower acquiring your sight picture. So it's a trade off.

We get much faster sight acquisition with a narrow front sight for an acceptable sight picture when shooting fast.

-Chet

I agree, in fact dawson ought to consider .080 and .070 front sights, I would buy em. I currently use a .090, Manny Bragg is using an .070 in his gun.

The narrower sight is faster. The wider sight is more precise. Older eyes seem to need the extra light provided by a narrower front sight. YMMV. Brian has a formula somewhere on this forum for calculating a proper sight dimension, IIRC.

You need enough light bar - I like a .145" rear with a .115" front, myself ;) Just the right mix... I named it "The Chief's Special" after a good buddy who turned me on to the set up cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Please excuse this if it is a foolish question, but wouldn't just opening up the rear sight vs. replaceing the front with a narrower one at the distances we shoot work just as well??? I shoot BPCR silhouette with iron sights and that's how we address the light issues.

-Chet

I agree, in fact dawson ought to consider .080 and .070 front sights, I would buy em. I currently use a .090, Manny Bragg is using an .070 in his gun.

I've seen that sight on Manny's gun. It's nice. The fiber is very close to the top of the blade. I'm pretty sure he said he sells them, or plans to.

Not really. If your big ol front sight still covers the entire target at longer ranges, opening up the rear won't help.

I understand the issue of a large front sight covering too much of a target regardless of the size of the rear opening. My question was if it would be just as easy to acquire the target with a larger rear opening and the original front sight vs. a smaller front sight with the original rear sight? Given that the rear sight can be opened up with simple hand tools rather than buying a new front sight?