Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG 124gr JHP vs. PD 124gr JHP

Okie-Glocker

Well, now that I'm back I can do cool stuff like this :D...

I recently got some PD JHPs in (2000) to test out. Will be shooting/chronoing some on thursday to verify their worthiness compared to my normal MG bullet. I've attached some pics for those who have been curious as to the shape and design of the PD JHP offering. IMO, it's a near exact replica of the MG 124gr JHP with the exception of the larger/deeper hollow point. The MG wins for overall fit & finish but the PD is definitely noteworth (and cool looking) and if they prove accurate out on the range, I'll buy a bunch more :)

I loaded a test batch of 30 last night to the following specs (my identical MG load for Production G34 with KKM barrel):

4.2gr TG

1.150" OAL

WSP

mixed brass

Cheers,

Chris

post-10391-0-43049900-1320777095_thumb.j

post-10391-0-80054900-1320777111_thumb.j

post-10391-0-04701400-1320777122_thumb.j

post-10391-0-67203700-1320777129_thumb.j

post-10391-0-23404900-1320777145_thumb.j

post-10391-0-92608700-1320777154_thumb.j

post-10391-0-68043600-1320777164_thumb.j

Cool comparison. Any plans to chrono them back to back to see if there are any significant differences? I recently bought some 125gn Zero conical JHP's since MG was sold out of the 124's...I am going to do a little comparison to see if there is any advantage one way or the other.

Edited by Loop51

I found the Zero's to be slightly faster at the same powder charge than the Montana Golds. .1-.2 gr powder difference for the same power factor.

Interesting. I have been running 4.2gn's of N320 with the MG so I will work up a few loads to compare.

The PD bullet reminds me of a 45acp Police load we used to shoot. I cannot

remember who made them, but they were nicknamed "the flying ashtray".

Because the hollow point was so large it kinda looked like a small ashtray.

They mushroomed really well in Officer involved shootings.

For competition I see no value for the large hollow point, but I'm no expert.

Wasnt' that the Speer 230gr Gold Dot?

It was a Speer but it was long before they thought up the name Gold Dot. I'm thinking mid to late 70's.

Any plans to chrono them back to back to see if there are any significant differences? I recently bought some 125gn Zero conical JHP's since MG was sold out of the 124's...I am going to do a little comparison to see if there is any advantage one way or the other.

Wasn't planning on it but is a great idea... perhaps in the coming weeks. Regarding the Zero 125gr JHP, my favorite bullet thus far (still have a few thousand stashed)... stopped buying them when their supply dried up a few years back and when they became available again, the price went up quite a bit :(... Used to get them for like 6.something cents each from Powder Valley but now I can't find them for less than 10cents per bullet and that's rough. It is more accurate than the MG out of my glock. Plan to use the ones I have left at major matches until I run out.

Any plans to chrono them back to back to see if there are any significant differences? I recently bought some 125gn Zero conical JHP's since MG was sold out of the 124's...I am going to do a little comparison to see if there is any advantage one way or the other.

Wasn't planning on it but is a great idea... perhaps in the coming weeks. Regarding the Zero 125gr JHP, my favorite bullet thus far (still have a few thousand stashed)... stopped buying them when their supply dried up a few years back and when they became available again, the price went up quite a bit :(... Used to get them for like 6.something cents each from Powder Valley but now I can't find them for less than 10cents per bullet and that's rough. It is more accurate than the MG out of my glock. Plan to use the ones I have left at major matches until I run out.

Zero's are hard to get...Living 15 minutes from Shooters Connection has its perks, though! I can run by and grab them all up lol

I do believe you are right. I still have some of em.

I did a comparison similar to yours, and I tested both the PD 124 JHP and MG 124 JHP neck and neck. All using Winchester brass and primers, and in every test the PD's were more accurate in my guns. I used T.G., Power Pistol, N320, and N340. Tested them in my M&P pro, CZ Shadow, EAA Limited, and Dan Wesson all from a ransom rest at 25yds. The best accuracy was .75" in the EAA, and 1.04" in the M&P using PD, 5.8gr of Power Pistol, OAL was 1.120, These were 3-5shot avg. I am very disappointed in the last batch of MG's I bought last month, I can't get them under 2" in any of my guns. Although MG is a big sponsor for USPSA and I love supporting them, I have to go with the PD's. My Bayou Bullet polymer coated bullets are more accurate than that last batch of MG's My next order will be 10,000 PD 124 JHP's and I'm sticking with them. I loved Zero's when I used to be able to get them, but now I get PD's delivered in 3-4 days so they can count on me being a customer for a while. I have a huge speadsheet of all my data and if you do a search, you should find it somewhere on this forum, and at Bayoushooters.

I've tried the following 9mm bullets:

PD 124gr FMJ

PD 124gr JHP

MG 124gr CMJ

MG 124gr JHP

X-Treme 147gr plated

Speer 147gr GDHP

The Speers work great, but unless you find a deal on them, too expensive for regular shooting ammo. I like the PD 124gr JHP too.

I think the MG 124gr CMJ is probably the best for accuracy in my guns and the most versatile (can be used on paper, steel, and polymer targets).

I'd love to swap a hundred or two MG 124gr JHP or X-Treme 147gr bullets for some PD or MG 147gr FMJ/CMJ to try them out without buying 1-3k of them. Anyone interested?

I got some MG 124 JHP's last month as well and noticed that they were indeed different from previous lots.

Apparently, they switched a machine over to turn them out in order to fill backorders and get some stock on hand to meet the demand. The guy who usually performs the task was on vacation (or "off" in general) and the change in procedure resulted in different profile and length.

I noticed within 5 rounds that my OAL had dropped .003-.005 from the previously fixed average. (With an SD around .001, you tend to catch these things.) I haven't grouped the gun since then, though-- now you make me paranoid!

Although 2" is more than adequate for me! (Still, I wonder...)

I did a comparison similar to yours, and I tested both the PD 124 JHP and MG 124 JHP neck and neck. All using Winchester brass and primers, and in every test the PD's were more accurate in my guns. I used T.G., Power Pistol, N320, and N340. Tested them in my M&P pro, CZ Shadow, EAA Limited, and Dan Wesson all from a ransom rest at 25yds. The best accuracy was .75" in the EAA, and 1.04" in the M&P using PD, 5.8gr of Power Pistol, OAL was 1.120, These were 3-5shot avg. I am very disappointed in the last batch of MG's I bought last month, I can't get them under 2" in any of my guns. Although MG is a big sponsor for USPSA and I love supporting them, I have to go with the PD's. My Bayou Bullet polymer coated bullets are more accurate than that last batch of MG's My next order will be 10,000 PD 124 JHP's and I'm sticking with them. I loved Zero's when I used to be able to get them, but now I get PD's delivered in 3-4 days so they can count on me being a customer for a while. I have a huge speadsheet of all my data and if you do a search, you should find it somewhere on this forum, and at Bayoushooters.

I've never tried PDs. My bullet of choice has been the Zero 125 grain jhp. It has always been more accurate, and faster in my guns, than MGs. But, with the price jump on Zero 9mms, and .38 Super bullets, I've been thinking of trying PDs. :surprise:

How have the PDs compared against Zeros in your guns, as far as accuracy, and speed? :unsure:

The flying ashtray was Speer's 200 grain JHP. It was way, way before the Gold Dot ever came along.

You might call them, I thought they had them, but not on the website. Re: 115jhp's

Not unless they've added them since Nationals. A couple of the PD sponsored shooters passed through my squad on a shoot through so I had to ask them. They said PD had no plans of adding a 115. I volunteered repeatedly to test them if they did add them. :D

I've never tried PDs. My bullet of choice has been the Zero 125 grain jhp. It has always been more accurate, and faster in my guns, than MGs. But, with the price jump on Zero 9mms, and .38 Super bullets, I've been thinking of trying PDs. :surprise:

How have the PDs compared against Zeros in your guns, as far as accuracy, and speed? :unsure:

The Zero's were more accurate than the PD's in both .38 super, and 9mm.

Zero's appear to be the most expensive too (at least between Zero, PD, and MG), at well over $100/1000 regardless of weight from shooter's connection.

I see PD offers 100 count sample packs. Anyone have recommendations for/against their 147gr FMJ or FMJ-TC? I'd be shooting them from a selection of 9mm Glocks.