Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OakleyAssault boots

Julien Boit

I know this thread is already existing, so feel free to move it were it belongs ;)

I finally received my Oakley assault boots and I have nothing to say except good things about them.

I used them for four days in a row at the last MedCup and they were all good.

Soft, good ankle support, nice sole, not hot despite the warm weather .

They are light, It almost feels like sneakers.

Now I have to wait for their durability, but as they are all leather, I bet they would last longer than the Merrel shoes I used before.

The last bonus, their Price : 160 euros (185 dollars) :D

I just got mine as well. IMO they are sneakers. They are made like leather high top basketball shoes with a little taller ankle support area, a sewn in tongue, and a trail runner sole instead of a court sole.

For my feet the sewn in tongue is snug but not uncomfortable as long as I stick with thin socks. I'm only on my third day of wear so I've got some break-in time left. The inside is soft and comfortable again just like sneakers. The sole is basically flat so it should provide a stable surface for shooting on the move. I think I'm going to like them as shooting shoes. Mine creak a little bit which is annoying.

The main downside is the price. The full retail price of $225 is outrageous for a shoe that is manufactured like sneakers that sell for less than $100. Unless you can get them at a lower price through something like a law enforcement or military discount, I think there are better alternatives.

I bought my first pair last March (2003) and have been wearing them daily, even some Saturdays and Sundays while shooting, since I got them. I have a job that allows me the wear them at work. They are the most comfortable shoe or boot that I have ever worn. I have a pair of GSG9 and Danner Acadia's, the Danner's are hughly durable. I have ordered 2 more pair (one in Tan) since getting my first pair. My feet are never tired at the end of the day like when wearing my GSG9's or Danner's. I cannot recommand them highly enough. If you want years of duability buy the Danners. If you want the most comfortable buy the Oakley.

Steve

I'll chime in here as well. I have had my oakleys for about four months now. They definitely have the comfort of good sneakers, with good support of the instep and ankle. However after four months it is obvious they are wearing at about the same rate as my all leather merrills. So at $225 keep dreaming they aren't even close to worth it. At the regular hiking boot pricepoint of $80-$100 I think they are a good value and more comfortable than most.

BTW if you want Danner durability coupled with more comfort than the acadias try the GTX's. Great compromise for the durability of a danner and more all day everyday comfort.

At a match last night another shooter said that the "made in China" Oakley boots have had problems coming apart after getting really wet. Something about the glue on the soles not being high quality. The military issue "made in USA" versions being issued to the D-boys are not supposed to have this problem, but I have never handled a pair of these harder to find version of the boots.

Anyone have any longer term experience with the Oakley boots when worn in all weather conditions? Even run of the mill sneakers can handle getting wet.

• 5 months later...

Converse has a "tactical" shoe out that I find really comfortable and cost less than the Oakley's. Use it for work and find it better than the Rocky's I had. Comes in low cut, 6" mid & 8" boot. Like the rounded heel and thread pattern.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my pair of Oakley's.....I have no words to describe it, I'm speechless! I've been a sportsman for years, and a soldier - I've never wore anything simialr! so comfy, and the feeling of absolute power - like bloody superman - I might be exaggerating, but the feeling is amazing.

Now, I'll give the Converse a try.

Hey guys,

I'll add my two cents if no one minds. I wear my Oakley's at work (LEO/SWAT) and have great success with them. I agree $225 is a little pricey, but I dont pay that for them (a helluva lot less) so it makes it a little easier to have them.

They are extremely comfortable, the most comfortable shoe/boot I have ever worn. From day 1, they felt like a super padded athletic shoes with good support, performance and great feel. I've had my 1 pair for a year of street work at work and the other pair is my SWAT pair. THey have held up pretty well, neither are close to wearing out. I can see the price being an issue for a lot of people, but when you're getting them for free or almost a third of that price, it makes it a lot easier.

Ive heard Original SWAT boots are also very comfortable and a lot cheaper. Something like $60. Try the Air version of Original SWAT boots. I heard the owner of Original SWAT boots went to New Balance to have them design parts of the boot for comfort and performance.

It's been awhile so I'll report back in. I've had my Oakleys for about 6 months now. I only wear them when shooting and only when it is mostly dry since they aren't waterproof. Based on this limited use they are holding up well.

They have gotten wet but not soaked a couple times and they haven't come apart. After breaking in they don't squeek nearly as much.

Compared to my other boots (Lowa waterproof hiking boots and Merrell waterproof Pulse lows) I think the only plus to the Oakleys is the flexibility of the sole. (They are all comfortable and provide good support, etc.) The soles of my other boots are made more for hiking and therefore have a shank to help support the foot. It's more difficult to get a smooth heel to toe glide for shooting on the move with the stiffer shoe.

After using them for awhile I'd say they are nice but not significantly better than a good pair of trail runners or other athletic type shoe with a more aggressive sole. I got my Oakleys for about $100 so I don't feel ripped off. If you can get them at this price or less then they are good for it.

Also the soles are aggressive and the rubber is soft which is great for many range surfaces, but I wouldn't think they would hold up well on pavement. Just like performance car tires, the superior traction also equals a shorter usable life.

Converse has a "tactical" shoe out that I find really comfortable and cost less than the Oakley's. Use it for work and find it better than the Rocky's I had. Comes in low cut, 6" mid & 8" boot. Like the rounded heel and thread pattern.

thanks for the mention, the converse appear to actually come in size 15... I might actually be able to give them a try.

ok, obvious question: What's the best place to get the Oakleys, price wise.

I can email from a .gov address if that'll help but I won't be able to put in a governement purchase order or any of that non sense.

Need them shipped to an APO as I am over seas.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just returned from a month long Army school at FT Bragg. I have added the Civil Affairs Quailification to my more normal (lethal) list of training. The Active Duty side of CA is dominated by the SF community and a couple of SF operators in the class were wearing the Oakley boots in the field.

To the point, there is a clothing sales type store at Pope Air Force Base, NC that sell the black and the sand Oakley boots for $140. Anyone with a military ID can access the base and gain access to the boots.

By the way, this store is like the candy store for special operations. It is full of all the "high speed" vests, boots, pouches, sunglasses, etc. by Blackhawk, SOE, Emereson, Oakley, Bolle, etc. If they do not have it in stock they will special order. The store is "not for profit" and supports the military units that deploy out of the FT Bragg/Pope AFB area.

I got out of there with minimal expense only because I knew that my traditional Mech Infantry unit would never let me wear most of the "high speed" ghear.

I bought my Oakley Assault Boots about a year and a half ago directly off the website when they had just released them for sale to the public and had them marked as limited supply.

Although they are quite pricey compared to other brands and styles of footwear, I justified the purchase because i figured if our armed forces personnel were wearing them they must be comfortable and durable and i was sick of the way my feet and legs felt after a match.

I can only say great things about these boots. They are the most comfortable boots i have ever worn. Lightweight, great support, and great traction on various terrain. I live in new england, so they are subjected to every type of climate and conditions you can throw at them. My feet don't sweat excessively in them during the warmer months and i have actually practiced for many hours on hard pack snow without having my feet get cold as well.

My friend that got me into IPSC and probably the person I shoot the most with has about the funkiest feet i have ever seen (sorry pal). He has very high arches and after some of the longer matches his feet really kill him. As he has been my mentor for always striving to improve my shooting and helping me alot with everything from practice drills to fixing my guns i felt he deserved a fine pair of these as well, so i got him a pair for his birthday......He loves them too!

I have since bought two more pair that reside in my closet to replace the original pair when they wear out, which by the looks of it, i will have Oakleys for many more years because the original pair are still going strong. I hate finding a product that works well, go to replace it, and it is no longer available.

In case any of you are wondering............No...I do not work for Oakley! I just wanted to pass along my experience with this product to others who may have an interest in them.