Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help identifying Tori nonaka shoes

bruised lee

I saw tori nonaka's shoes that she wore when competing on the world shoot. Anybody know what brand and model is this? Anybody tried using this? I have a wide feet and itsreally hard to find a good trail running shoes with aggressive soles. Any suggestion for a good trail runming shoes that comes with eide witdh? Thanks guys. Link is for the pic of said shoes.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have wide feet and love my 333's as well (they were of considerable interest at the WS as well-- several foreign competitors stopped me to ask about them). But do note the sizing can be weird for the wide-of-foot, so I suggest 'bracketing' the sizes you want at a retailer with a good return policy, then sending back those that don't fit properly (you only have to try them on in the house--- no need to go run around to find out)

Those are good looking shoes, but for that kind of money, I want shoes with eyes for the laces, not just straps of fabric to tear and render the shoe useless. Really bad design and I won't buy shoes with that type of lacing system..just something to be aware of when shoe shopping.

I have wide feet and love my 333's as well (they were of considerable interest at the WS as well-- several foreign competitors stopped me to ask about them). But do note the sizing can be weird for the wide-of-foot, so I suggest 'bracketing' the sizes you want at a retailer with a good return policy, then sending back those that don't fit properly (you only have to try them on in the house--- no need to go run around to find out)

My shoe size is 12 4EEEE & I've had good luck with New Balance. They have several from Crountry walker to trail runners check them out.

Manny

My thought exactly as I have a dozen different pair and have returned a couple because they fit quite like I wanted them too. Try here

Added link

Edited by LPatterson

Those are good looking shoes, but for that kind of money, I want shoes with eyes for the laces, not just straps of fabric to tear and render the shoe useless. Really bad design and I won't buy shoes with that type of lacing system..just something to be aware of when shoe shopping.

While I'm not super keen on the design either, it hasn't been a problem in the 9 months I've had mine, I'm not even seeing any wear on the lace straps yet.

While I'm not super keen on the design either, it hasn't been a problem in the 9 months I've had mine, I'm not even seeing any wear on the lace straps yet.

Exactly - and Inov-8 is exclusively a running shoe company, as well - designed by runners for runners, blah blah blah (and that's important because we run long distances so much, right? rolleyes.gif ). I've had my 333s longer than anyone else I know of (near as I can tell, I was the first one running around in them - and probably the second person shooting in a Mudclaw in the whole sport). No issues with them whatsoever.

I've compared to and discussed the shoes with top level shooters who are shooting in the Speedcross 3, and the consensus is that the Mudclaw is more optimal for our sport (deeper cleat channels, they shed more mud more easily, the dual cambered heel is easier to shoot on the move in, etc). That said, I wouldn't mind shooting in a Speedcross 3 for a while - I don't think it gives up that much, in the end...

The commonality between these shoes is that they're both designed for fell running - any shoe in that design family is probably going to be pretty OK, as long as they fit your feet and are comfortable to stand around in all day...

If you want more support more traction and better quality try these

Given what I've seen and experienced, you're wrong on the traction angle - I've watched several folks slide around on Speedcross 3s and other folks in Mudclaws do just fine on the same surface, using similar technique (talking top level shooters here, as well). Don't know how you could estimate quality, given that no one I've seen reports from has had quality problems with either?

Given what I've seen and experienced, you're wrong on the traction angle - I've watched several folks slide around on Speedcross 3s and other folks in Mudclaws do just fine on the same surface, using similar technique (talking top level shooters here, as well). Don't know how you could estimate quality, given that no one I've seen reports from has had quality problems with either?

+1 I have the Speedcross 3 and the previous generation of Mudclaw and the Mudclaw has far better stability and grip on gravel, 2x2 iron, wet plywood, mud, dirt, rock and grass. In fact, I don't wear my Speedcrosses to shoot in anymore. I have been using the Mudclaw 270 for about 2 years now at least 6-7 times a month for 3-5 hours each time and the uppers, laces and lace holes are still in great shape. One cool thing about the Mudclaw 270 is when it gets wet it doesn't get waterlogged and heavy, it just sheds the water, the only extra weight is your sock absorption, depending on sock.

I have been using the Mudclaw 270 for about 2 years now at least 6-7 times a month for 3-5 hours each time and the uppers, laces and lace holes are still in great shape.

How about the cleats and soles? Mine are somewhat worn after a little more than a year, but still very usable...

My 333 cleats show significant wear after one year, as well. However, they are still significantly taller than those on the pair of Speedcross 3 I just got for IDPA. They also still work great on the surfaces I shot on in the past month (wet grass, damp wood, carpet, sand, and crushed rock).

-Steve

Edited by windscreen

its cause he is sponsored by them and spewing there propaganda around the forum again

All I will add to the discussion is that I have personally owned and worn both the Mudclaw 270 and Speedcross 3 this past year. I've worn both at matches with grassy surfaces as well as dirt, gravel, caliche. Out of the 11 major matches I've shot this year, there have been 2 times where my foot slid as I was planting coming into position. Both times were with the Mudclaw 270.

The first was stage one at the Ms Classic. It was a grassy range, and being the first stage of the day the grass was wet from the morning dew. My right foot slipped approx 2 inches, but didn't really cost me much time on the stage other than the feeling that I was slipping.

The second occurrence was on stage 12 at the Double Tap Championship. The surface at the range is a small crushed gravel. My right foot slipped again while coming into a position. this time it was about 3 inches.This caused me to bring my other foot down outside of the fault line as I was already shooting. This cost me a procedural plus the added time to jump back in the shooting area.

I've made several hards stops with the SC3's and haven't had any slippage issues. I think this is due to the fact that the lugs on the SC3's are more spread out than the Mudlaws allowing them to dig in better.

Everyone has different needs for their feet, and what's comfortable for one person might be painful to someone else's foot. I would recommend trying some on before you buy or order from an online vender such as Zappos that has free return shipping. This way you can see what is right for you. I think comfortable shoes are one of the most important pieces of equipment we use. If your feet are hurting towards the end of the day it is going to affect your performance.

For wide, comfortable shoes, try Inov-8 Roclite 295. I normally wear size 11.5/12.0 EEE dress shoes. SpeedX3 and other Inov-8 shoes are too narrow for me. The below linked shoe source has really good price and there is also a 10% off coupon on the web; it also has a no-questions-asked return policy.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-I8RC29B.html

I have been using the Mudclaw 270 for about 2 years now at least 6-7 times a month for 3-5 hours each time and the uppers, laces and lace holes are still in great shape.

How about the cleats and soles? Mine are somewhat worn after a little more than a year, but still very usable...

They are holding up much better then I expected as the 270 had a softer compound for the nubs. They are worn about 1/3 on the high contact nubs but still usable for quite some time. They may have held up so well because they see so little use on pavement. Keep in mind, when you shoot at Rio Salado you will do some slipping and sliding in the gravel no matter what shoe you wear if you get up to speed. The Mudclaw slips the least often and less distance, it is also more controlled then anything else I have tried. YMMV. I love that I can stand on a metal boundary rail with out slipping one iota and still have traction to push off without slipping. I do want to try a pair of the Inov 8 Bare-Grip 200s but can't bring myself to wear that bright of a color.

Hey Rusty, The Inov-8's are pretty famous for being a burly but light shoe.

I owned a few pair back when they first launched in the US...and NEVER had a lace strap blow (cant say that about the Salomons)

Eyelets have their drawbacks too.

FYI I have the mudclaw 272s and I absolutely love them. out of all the "cleats" i've used in this sport, these are the only ones that i didn't want to get out of after i was done with the match. i've even driven home wearing them a few times whereas, with those i've worn in the past, i'm racing to get them off after my last stage.

i might be slightly biased because i have a pair of inov-8 f-lite 230s that i use for crossfit and wear daily and love them as well.