Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Larue or JP?

HRider

Looking at new rifles. I searched and found a recent short thread on the differences between a CTR02 and JP15, it didn't totally answer my question though. So now, my question is when comparing the Larue Tactical 18" PredatAR, JP CTR02 18", or JP15 18" to one another, which one is the better rifle for three gun. The Larue would need a comp (comes with an A2 birdcage), but even at $100 for a comp and another $200 for a JP low mass carrier and buffer, it is still much cheaper than the JP15 and MUCH cheaper than a CTR02. Both companies support the sport, are really good to deal with and have good reputations. I know that most people in the game shoot JPs, but why not Larue? What am I missing?

Hurley

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Larue shoots great, my JP shoots great, both my Larues shoot great because of the JP stuff thats in it, triggers, lmos carriers, gasblocks, etc. so to call it a Larue is not really correct. The stock Larues are heavy and there is not solution except live with it or modify it, the JP's have options, barrel length, barrel thickness, carrier weights, etc.

My favorite AR's and the ones I use for competition most often are JP's, but then even when I shoot my Larues I'm still shooting JP!!!!!!

Trapr

Shot a friends JP after the match today. His gun is nice but it recoiled more than my Noveske. I was hoping it would move less off the target due to its low mass operating system but that was not the case. Perhaps he had it adjusted wrong. We both have 18 inch guns. He has an adjustable gas system. Mine may be a touch heavier. His is about .5 to .75 moa and mine is about .75 to 1 moa. I preferred mine after shooting his and mine with my ammo. So I would say get a Noveske. Cheaper too. I would like to do a build with a JP barrel. I also have a Larue 20 inch Stealth and its a beast for three gun too heavy. So given the choice between just a Larue and JP for this game I would go JP. Another friend of mine was on the fence about which rifle to buy that is why we had both rifles there after the match. He decided to go with the Noveske.

ThreegunRogueHunter.jpg

LarueStealth.jpg

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have no dog in this fight, but asking this question here is going to be almost as skewed as asking it in Larue's forum.

I'd imagine that both will serve you and just about any other shooter far beyond what they need to succeed. My preference would be to save a few bucks with Larue as a base and upgrade a few parts to JP if you feel the need.

CM

JP. I have both and the Larue is good, but the JP is better. the CTR is heavier and will have almost no recoil or flip. However, I usually shoot an 18 inch JP ultralght upper on a rock river lower (with JP trigger) unless serious long shots and then go with 20" CTR. I have never heard anyone say they regret buying a JP rifle. I guess I've never heard that about a Larue either.

Thanks for the replies, keep them comming. Bear in mind, when I asked about a Larue, I wasn't talking about a heavy barreled model, but the lightened (advertised at 6.8 lbs for a 16", so slightly more for a 18") PredatAR model. I shot one of these at the ProAm and it felt good. Subscribing to the Indian/Arrow thing, I was thinking that a Larue and practice ammo might make me a better shooter than just a fine rifle (for the same money). Since I value the collective knowledge of the forum, I had to ask.

Hurley

Slight drift here, have ou considered any other builders? There are some great ones out there.

I have not looked that much yet, but am open to others as well.

Hurley

Edit to add: I have had good experience with JP, they worked on my AR10. I shot Larue's rifles at the ProAm. That's why I was looking between the two.

Edited by HRider

Slight drift here, have ou considered any other builders? There are some great ones out there.

I have not looked that much yet, but am open to others as well.

Hurley

Edit to add: I have had good experience with JP, they worked on my AR10. I shot Larue's rifles at the ProAm. That's why I was looking between the two.

Give Jim a call at Firebird. Very high quality, very supportive of 3gun and one hell of a good guy. Check in the vendor section.

Hurley, as I posted I have both, but prefer the JP over the LaRue, even when the LaRue has JP parts in it. La rue is "new" to 3 gunning and just now learning what "we" want in a rifle, the predatar is in response to our desires for lightweight and responsive handling. JP has been offering that in his rifles for years, plus he offers ALL the desired components, not standard milspec stuff.

Trapr

JP for sure...I love my CTR but my JP 15 shoots 99% of my CTR...no real difference in abilities of either rifle. Both shoot sub MOA but the CTR looks better IMHO. Sex sells!

One of my buddies shoots a DPMS like he owns the range...long story but its normally the shooter and not the rifle.

Just my .02 but DPMS, JP and LaRue support our sport to the max! I am viewing this with my Sponsorship/Prize table coordinator hat on.

Of course people like Jim at Firebird, Glen at Seekins Precision and the guys at Noveske support our sport too...all hard decisions to make!

All are fine choices...

RLTW,

Busyhawk

I have never seen Noveske support 3-gun. I have never seen any of their products on a prize table, I have never seen them sponsor a stage etc. They do have a shooting team, but that isn't supporting the sport. They make great stuff, but that also doesn't support the sport. LaRue however is everywhere as is My favorite, J.P. And I think no other company even is a close second to DPMS in the amount of support. KurtM

I have never seen Noveske support 3-gun. I have never seen any of their products on a prize table, I have never seen them sponsor a stage etc. They do have a shooting team, but that isn't supporting the sport. They make great stuff, but that also doesn't support the sport. LaRue however is everywhere as is My favorite, J.P. And I think no other company even is a close second to DPMS in the amount of support. KurtM

Not true, I saw a Noveske Pig sticker on the trooper prize table at Ironman this year :roflol:

Hopefully that will change in the future. The economy is hard on everyone right now. Noveske is good to cops and soldiers with their LEO discount which is a factor for me in what I buy. What matters to me the most is the quality of the product.

Pat

Well gee Pat, J.P. is also "good to Cops" not only does he do L.E. discounts, he also has a program called "We got your back". If you use your J.P. rifle in the line of duty and it is taken as evidence, contact J.P. and they will loan you one just like the one going to court untill yours is released and back to you. Does Noveske do that?? Ahem....NO! It is ok to be brand loyal and I aplaud you for that, but while you are doing that, you seem to go out of your way to run down many fine makers which even in this bad economy STILL support the sport to the tune of donating 4-5 rifles per match plus a ton of parts which Noveske, even durring the good times NEVER did or does. I don't think anyone on this board doesn't know you like Noveske and Geiselle triggers, but lets not keep saying" I would never trust a J.P. trigger cause Mine doubled once", J.P.s kick way more than a Noveske, I would never own a J.P. lightened carrier....etc. We got it. KurtM

it is nice to be loyal, erego: i only shoot JP rifles. if they made 1911's and shotguns, i would only shoot JP.

they don't, so i shoot a Les Baer 1911, and either a Benelli M2 or an Remington 870.

John Paul and his crew are the greatest.

Of course, i also shoot only Sierra match bullets. Carroll and his bunch are the best.

on the down side, i drink Coors light. (but then again, i am getting kinda old.)

:cheers:

it is nice to be loyal, erego: i only shoot JP rifles. if they made 1911's and shotguns, i would only shoot JP.

they don't, so i shoot a Les Baer 1911, and either a Benelli M2 or an Remington 870.

John Paul and his crew are the greatest.

Of course, i also shoot only Sierra match bullets. Carroll and his bunch are the best.

on the down side, i drink Coors light. (but then again, i am getting kinda old.)

:cheers:

Hell yah on the Silver Bullet,

JP all the way.

Jay