Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAWSON FRONT SIGHTS

mhop

"What a difference"

(Newbie)

Please elaborate how it is different from your perspective transitioning from Fiber to Blade.

I just started shooting a Shadow Target (w/FO), I'm 57, my shooting glasses are set up with my dominate right eye focused at front sight and left for distance.

I am working on shooting with both eyes open and wonder if I should just switch to blade and get a little space to the sides to assist with sight acquisition (1/3,1/3,1/3).

Thanks.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the .170" will work with standard height competition sights. the other height is for the tactical sport.

"what a difference"... when i started i had white 3 dot sights. as my skills progressed i found that the thicker front sights would cover too much of the target, especially poppers and plates at a distance. i ran with a thinner competition fiber optic. then i found that outdoors it was so bright that it would almost blind me, so i got an opaque red rod. then, i found that i ended up either looking at the dot, or the dot was in the way. i ended up with plain black serrated sights regardless of light condition. that's how i ended up where i was. however, not ethat everyone's eyes are different and there are those who just don't like plain black sights at all.

my recommendation is to find someone (with any gun) who has all black target sights and ask to wave it around for a bit and see what your first impressions are, maybe even to shoot it. if you think it'll work for you, then give it a shot on your own gun.

5.5 mm is a stock height front sight for shadows and uses the .170" dawson front sight. if you like, one call to dawson can also verify this. :cheers:

I'm not talking about a shadow I'm talking about a box stock 75, if that is the same thats cool, I just need to know what to order :-)

"What a difference"

(Newbie)

Please elaborate how it is different from your perspective transitioning from Fiber to Blade.

I just started shooting a Shadow Target (w/FO), I'm 57, my shooting glasses are set up with my dominate right eye focused at front sight and left for distance.

I am working on shooting with both eyes open and wonder if I should just switch to blade and get a little space to the sides to assist with sight acquisition (1/3,1/3,1/3).

Thanks.

This is a good read=. CHA-LEEs post about sights.

I have a stainless 75B with a CZcustom Tactical rear and a Dawson .215 front sight (which translates to 7.0mm in height) and my gun shoots EXACTLY where you point it.

Interesting... I have pretty much the same set-up (75BSS + CZC competition rear) but with a Dawson .170"x.090" front, and mine shoots a little high, but thought the math would have a .195" height have it hitting right at the top of the blade...

What exactly do you get at 7yrds, and then at 27yrds with the .215" tall front..? And are you using 115's, 124's, or 147's..?

I have a stainless 75B with a CZcustom Tactical rear and a Dawson .215 front sight (which translates to 7.0mm in height) and my gun shoots EXACTLY where you point it.

Interesting... I have pretty much the same set-up (75BSS + CZC competition rear) but with a Dawson .170"x.090" front, and mine shoots a little high, but thought the math would have a .195" height have it hitting right at the top of the blade...

What exactly do you get at 7yrds, and then at 27yrds with the .215" tall front..? And are you using 115's, 124's, or 147's..?

I have both a PRE B 75 and a SP01 both hit POA/POI with 125gr MG/Zeros with the .195 front sight.

I have both a PRE B 75 and a SP01 both hit POA/POI with 125gr MG/Zeros with the .195 front sight.

Thanks... but here's the thing that always pops up when talking sights: what rears are you using (especially with CZ's), and what do YOU mean when you say "POA/POA", MY "POA" means the top of the front blade, lots of guy's POA means the dot or middle of the front blade..?

Thanks... but here's the thing that always pops up when talking sights: what rears are you using (especially with CZ's), and what do YOU mean when you say "POA/POA", MY "POA" means the top of the front blade, lots of guy's POA means the dot or middle of the front blade..?

Your exact same setup, with the competition rear sight. I don't put what I'm aiming at on the top of the blade I like to put what I'm aiming at behind the front sight.

Your exact same setup, with the competition rear sight. I don't put what I'm aiming at on the top of the blade I like to put what I'm aiming at behind the front sight.

I shoot 115 grain Fiocchi FMJ's and with POA=POI I mean that the bullets hit where I aim, with the top of the front sight aligned with the rear blade (sight image 2).

Thanks to both of you...

but, huh..?

So the taller sight prints higher than the shorter sight..? The exact opposite should be true, unless there's some other factors in play... (Yeah, I know 115's will print a little higher than 125's... but not that much higher...)

Maybe you're both right though (and here's what I'm guessing is up): Sounds like Steel1212's set-up prints where it does because, since it's an FO front, like the majority of guys who run FO's (and as was the case with me anyway until I switched to plain-black-serrated fronts), the glowing FO dot tends to become the front aiming/alignment point instead of the tip/top of the blade, and the dot actually winds up more aligned with the top of the rear than in the middle of the notch (vertically) as it would be if the top of the front blade was strictly aligned with the top of the rear's notch... that, combined with shooting 125's compared to 115's, would explain it.

At any rate, I was cool with my gun printing a little high for a while, but I've missed a couple head-shots that I should've made the last couple matches (IDPA, missing high with the tell-tale half-bullet hole/grease-ring just above the perforations, argghh) so I'm going to go to a taller front, since Dawson only makes the .170" or .215" in plain-black-serrated (and since I'm converted and can't stand FO's anymore), looks like the .215" is it.

It's on the way, guess I'll post again when I see what I get...

Edited by ck1

• 3 weeks later...

So, thought I'd report back with what I got with the .215" tall Dawson front sight with a SS75B with a CZ competition rear sight installed... Shooting Federal Champion 115gr, S&B 124gr, and PMC 115gr I've gotten pretty much the same thing: prints about 1" low at 7-10 yards while using the top of the front blade as my aiming point. Seems to be hitting right on at 25 yards, but I'm not sure I dig having to obscure that much of the target at that range, and I like it even less in close at 7-10yrds...

Pretty sure a .195" tall front is what I need in order to get what I'm looking for: which is printing right at the exact top of the blade out to around 15 yards, so it morphs into a very slight 6 o'clock at 25 yards making it easy to lollipop plates at longer distances.

Looks like I'll be ordering a .195" tall front, which isn't stocked of course, so besides another $40-50, I'll be doing some waiting too...

Seems like the .215" height with my set-up is printing right where the dot would be if there was a dot or FO insert in the blade (I'm running and prefer all-black-serrated), but since I like to use the top of the front blade, I'm not sure if it's going to work for me.

Judging from the last couple range trips, in my case, I might be better off with the .170" front that prints a little higher than I like but doesn't mess with me like holding over the target seems to. Especially annoying was the plate rack at 7-10 yards, my old 4-4.5 second average to clean the rack has now turned into about 6 secs or more with low misses becoming alarmingly regular.

Here's a target shot at 10 yards with 20rds in it, 10 slow, 10 fast, and while fishing around with holding over the bull I did manage to hit it (with some wondering holes), but it seems pretty obvious that the hole that's an inch or so low that I started to make by holding the top of the blade right on the bull is more what I'm looking for:

11937bcc.jpg

Edited by ck1

Since you are running a solid front sight, why not just file off .020"? Machining it in a mill would be preferred, but you can do it with a file.

Easy: I'll just do more harm than good and I'll end up getting a new sight anyway ;), if I leave it alone maybe I can recoup $15 if someone with a TS, CTS or Shadow T wants to try a skinny all black front...

I put the .215 blade on my 75 with CZC tactical rear thinking I would need a little more height than the .170 and I could file it to my needs. I finally finished filing and guess what I have? The .170 I could have bought! I am shooting 124gr. at about 1100 fps and am hitting POA at 50 ft.

Dennis

Maybe you're both right though (and here's what I'm guessing is up): Sounds like Steel1212's set-up prints where it does because, since it's an FO front, like the majority of guys who run FO's (and as was the case with me anyway until I switched to plain-black-serrated fronts), the glowing FO dot tends to become the front aiming/alignment point instead of the tip/top of the blade, and the dot actually winds up more aligned with the top of the rear than in the middle of the notch (vertically) as it would be if the top of the front blade was strictly aligned with the top of the rear's notch... that, combined with shooting 125's compared to 115's, would explain it.

I actually use the front sight as it should be used. The FO is to find the front sight, not aim with. I just shot a 81 second IDPA classifier with the gun so I'm pretty sure its dead on. Now not everybody's loads are the same I think my loads are probably a little hotter than needs to be so that might have something to do with it.

Sorry if I am side tracking the topic, in line with front sights. Just curious why does a new front sight have to be drilled in place. Could they have pre drilled the sights in the factory to line up with the gun which should have been milled too. A drop in part.

I actually use the front sight as it should be used. The FO is to find the front sight, not aim with. I just shot a 81 second IDPA classifier with the gun so I'm pretty sure its dead on. Now not everybody's loads are the same I think my loads are probably a little hotter than needs to be so that might have something to do with it.

Yeah, I was just speculating, not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, and after shooting both the .170" and .215" I tend to agree that the .195" is probably the right height to print right at the top of the blade.

Congrats on the 81sec classifier, that's Sharpshooter right..? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok back up. The new, to me, shadow. its a 08 shadow with fixed sights has a front sight that is .160-.165 above the slide. Its hitting about 1-2 inches high at 15 yards. Suggestion on front sights from dawson? I have the .170, .175, and .195 tall sights from dawson at work. I'm leaning towards the .175 getting me close enough.