Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low Ports

lndshrk

Read other posts about going to one or two knees. But HOW do you contort your body when shooting through ports at 2' or 3' which seem too high for prone, but too low for just kneeling?

I hate that! Either make everyone go prone, or make the port(s) high enough to eliminate the disadvantage to longer torso'ed shooters.

I learned that canting the gun radically (30-45deg) makes sight alignment easier in those low ports, but accuracy seems to suffer.

Try to get your head and the guns as level as possible (same plane) to avoid the distortion of looking through the top half of your shooting glasses. When your chin is down and your eyes are straining up, the refraction through the lenses will make the target look higher than it actually is. This conflicts with your natural point of aim. Your body is telling you where the shots are going, but your vision is off….

I'm a big guy( 6'8" 280), but I pride myself in my ability to get down to those low ports. In a wide stace squat I can get shots under a 2.5 feet high bar. Lower than that I do the pretzel. Strong side knee and lower leg flat on ground, including foot. So your big toe to your knee are all in contact with the ground. Now sit down on your strong side foot, and throw your weak side leg in front of you as far as it needs to go so you get down to those low 18"to 12" high ports. I find it helpfull to keep the weak side foot flat on the ground (if posible) for stability. Much quicker than going prone and definatly quicker to get up from if there is more shooting to get to.

Its an akward position at first, but a bit of practice and some streching will make it easy.

The "Pretzel" position seems like the way to go. Looking through the tops of the shooting glasses presents another problem, as I shoot with graduated lenses with the sight magnification ground into the bottom of the lens. Now I know why I can sign up as a senior.

Try the Egret :P

As with all other questions it simply depends on the shots required and the point in the stage. If I have to move after the port I will fight at all costs going prone. Contorting the body is the best answer - no matter how painful. I would also point out that I've generally been able to get a tad lower when actually running the stage vs when I was walking through. In other words I was able to be more drastic without my gun in the holster.

If this is the last area in the stage or if the shots were long and or extremely difficult I'd consider going prone. Especially if its that last position. If the shots are tough it becomes critical to find a way to hit the targets.

JB

A club member, Jörgen Björk, uses a different technique with low ports. We call it the "head stand" and I've got it on video, check out how he engages the middle low port before going prone on the last low port.

The link is:

Low port 2 and 3 (it's a 2,5 Mb MPEG video clip).

Also check out a good run (standard major, Glock. Time 2.85, 33 pt of 35, HF 11.58) from the same competition (same shooter): :D

Fast run (1.1 Mb)

Moderator Edit: The URLs to the MPEGs should work now.

Edited by Erik Warren

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I forgot I even had the 2006 Nationals stage that was a low port posted. Its the first stage on the video. It shows all the Top guys.

Check out Manny's technique

Gm's on a low port

Flyin

Weird, I spotted that big ad in 1:36-1:38 that says VihtaVouri, no wonder why it's so often spelled wrong! :blink::D

Edited by askomiko

I forgot I even had the 2006 Nationals stage that was a low port posted. Its the first stage on the video. It shows all the Top guys.

Check out Manny's technique

Gm's on a low port

Flyin

I don't have the knees for Manny's technique...did that once and had to be helped up by the R.O. :rolleyes:

Saul Kirsch.... feet extended past the muzzle? I had pondered using that technique but thought better of it.

John Fadorsen's approach there on stage 17...that's definitely more my speed :P

A couple of weeks ago I had a full preview of Saul Kirsch's new DVD production: 3GM-2, where he, Angus and Max gather again to teach and demonstrate their great techniques.

I was at Saul's for a couple of days of hard work: I've been dubbing the whole 3.5hrs DVD in italian, thus I got to watch and learn by heart the whole DVD content.

There is a specific section, Kneeling and Prone shooting, where each of the 3 GM explains his own techniques for shooting trough ports of almost any height.

Kneeling high, kneeling while sitting on your rear foot, lowering yourself to the point of touching the ground with one knee, forearm, shoulder and head ... you name it, you will see it demonstrated.

I can only advice you to get that DVD from Saul, it teaches a lot of good stuff.

I'm a big guy( 6'8" 280), but I pride myself in my ability to get down to those low ports. In a wide stace squat I can get shots under a 2.5 feet high bar. Lower than that I do the pretzel. Strong side knee and lower leg flat on ground, including foot. So your big toe to your knee are all in contact with the ground. Now sit down on your strong side foot, and throw your weak side leg in front of you as far as it needs to go so you get down to those low 18"to 12" high ports. I find it helpfull to keep the weak side foot flat on the ground (if posible) for stability. Much quicker than going prone and definatly quicker to get up from if there is more shooting to get to.

Its an akward position at first, but a bit of practice and some streching will make it easy.

Dave,

Your tip from over 4 years ago sure paid off on Stage 4 today! The "Pretzel" worked great. Very stable for those 35 yard classic targets and plate!

Thanks,

Chuck

PS: Good luck at the Nats.