Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI - Aluminum grip status

Alan Adamson

I think everyone knows that the original aluminum grips have been discontinued.... I have 2 that are broken and so I called STI today to see what warranty is for them.

If you have to have something today, they will trade the broken ones for mags or plastic grips... pretty much value for value... But, they are also re-designing the Aluminum grip to remedy that thin area where they all crack. The new grip should be out in January and they will warranty the old grip for the new one when it's available... So hang onto those broken ones...

Alan

yep, thats where they break, usually it starts at the top where the ultra thin area is directly above the mag release on both sides, then it cracks down that area and as the crack grows, it causes other areas to be stressed and it ultimately falls apart.

While originally they said it was fitting related, they later discontinued the grip and are redoing the mold/model to remedy this issue, as they *all crack*.... Round count is the only variable... Mine have about 3K rounds on them is all. And I fit them so there were no marks or pressure points when assembled.

Alan

My old style is still going strong. It was fit by Matt Cheely on one of his open guns. I have several friends that have grips fit by Bobby at Freedom Gunworks that are still hanging in there. Round counts are running anywhere from 5000 to 12,000.

My old style is still going strong. It was fit by Matt Cheely on one of his open guns. I have several friends that have grips fit by Bobby at Freedom Gunworks that are still hanging in there. Round counts are running anywhere from 5000 to 12,000.

Yes, I know.... it's just a matter of time... they all will break (why STI took them off the market), fit or not...

Aluminum STI grips crack, SOME of them do but not all of them. STI pulled ‘em off the market because even SOME are too many. (In actuality I think you’ll see that it’s usually the thin ones that crack.) I have spoken with them about this subject, and STI is working on this. They really seem to want their customers to be happy. One of the nicest things about STI is that they are still small enough to communicate with their market, in this case being those of us in the shooting community. There are a handful of gunsmiths that have been successful with these grips, and I defer to them for any mods that may help. It isn't an easily fit part and varies from frame to frame, gun to gun.

Aluminum STI grips crack, SOME of them do but not all of them. STI pulled ‘em off the market because even SOME are too many. (In actuality I think you’ll see that it’s usually the thin ones that crack.) I have spoken with them about this subject, and STI is working on this. They really seem to want their customers to be happy. One of the nicest things about STI is that they are still small enough to communicate with their market, in this case being those of us in the shooting community. There are a handful of gunsmiths that have been successful with these grips, and I defer to them for any mods that may help. It isn't an easily fit part and varies from frame to frame, gun to gun.

As an FYI both of my *regular - B sized* grips cracked. And from talking with STI, it seems even they acknowledge that the original design had a very thin web, right in a place where they needed more material. I'm sure they will remedy this... But even SV doesn't offer an aluminum grip any longer, only steel...

Alan

As an FYI both of my *regular - B sized* grips cracked. And from talking with STI, it seems even they acknowledge that the original design had a very thin web, right in a place where they needed more material. I'm sure they will remedy this... But even SV doesn't offer an aluminum grip any longer, only steel...

Alan

SV still lists the aluminum grip on their website...

http://sviguns.com/1101.php?indx=10

Alan

SV still lists the aluminum grip on their website...

http://sviguns.com/1101.php?indx=10

Well, there ya go, I had heard they discontinued it as well, but perhaps I'm wrong...

Alan

Normally they are only willing to deliver a gun with an alluminum grip if its a carry gun. On competition guns that will have high round counts they are only willing to sell you a steel grip. Seems they don't want to risk the same as STI.

When STI revamps the aluminum grip, I hope they consider carbon steel. I took 3 hours to fit mine. It slides on and off easier than the plastic grip, the bushings are lined up correctly as well. Just took mine off after about 6k rounds. I found a type 3 anodizer that won't break the bank. I did a very thorough inspection for cracks. Couldn't find any. I know they crack, eventually. Mine hasn't yet. I'm hoping the fit and hard anodizing will delay it further.

The SV's that were just shown on Top Shot has me itching to try one of their steel frames. Not ready for that expense yet.

• 3 months later...

I talked to STI at Shot, they had their new Aluminum grip there, it's available now, replacements for the cracked old version and they will warranty you to the new one. The one I saw as black, and they were pretty confident that it wouldn't crack.

Figured I'd follow up on this tread with that info.

Alan

Thanks. I still have an older one with a few thousand rounds through it. I had it LvlIII anodized and as soon as my FGW 5.4 is ready it will have new home. It's good to know they didn't just drop the idea. Does it look the same?

Thanks. I still have an older one with a few thousand rounds through it. I had it LvlIII anodized and as soon as my FGW 5.4 is ready it will have new home. It's good to know they didn't just drop the idea. Does it look the same?

Take a look at STI's site. There's a pic of the new grip on there. There's no price so has anyone heard on that?