Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Get Slide Bitten By A Stock Glock?

Duane Thomas

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just switched to glock after a decade or more shooting a beretta, w/ some 1911/2011 mixed in. I had my first practice w/ my new G34 last weekend... and I have the cut to prove it. only on the right side. wasn't aweful... 400 rounds fired, slide was only a little bloody. I wouldn't say it cut, just eventually wore through the skin.

Didn't really hurt (until I accidently ripped the scab off a couple days later). Experimenting w/ grip now, and how to get out of the holster w/ it. I'm used to Beretta and 1911s w/ enough beavertail that I can just jab the web of my hand into the gun and it'll work out. Can't seem to do that w/ the 34.

-rvb

I have just started playing with a 17 after shooting mostly 1911's and CZ's. I get on it kinda high and my thumbs are used to being up on a 1911 but for the slide to cut my I would have to have my hand in a position as to not reach the trigger.

Thumbs up to short fingers I guess. :cheers:

Up until last week I had never been bitten by a Glock. I don't have a ton of webbing between my index finger and thumb and I thought I got a pretty high grip on the gun. I watched the Bob Vogel video on panteaoproductions.com where he talks about his grip and of course I had to tinker. After a few weeks of dry firing without hitting the range I finally made it out. Still no slide bite with the G34 but I brought out the G19 and fired a few mags. After the second or third draw with it I felt a sting on my hand. The damn thing bit me! Didn't draw blood but it did startle me.

I just did my requalify for work & added to the "track" scars on the top of my master/strong hand web. Yeah, I get bit be the glock. But it's a good bite. Middle finger knuckle that sits up under the trigger guard is continuing to develope a nice callous also. I guess it's like the Freemason's "secret squirrel handshake". Cool, you shoot a Glock too! No words need to be spoken, cos we've spilt blood on the same field. Brothers/Sisters. :D

PS. I would have thought Glock would have addressed this with their Gen3/4 re-design?

Wow. Really nicely done work. :) I can't even see a blend mark.

thank you sir.

Looks nice.

Howd you do it?

i modified some brass furniture screws (4 of them), screwed them into the back of the beavertail area, then i built it up around the brass screws with jb weld. then i sanded it to the shape that best fit my hand and painted it.

the one in the picture was the first one i ever did.

I have now found a new epoxy that works a little bit better than jb weld and doesnt require painting since its already black.

Could you please shoot me the info on the new epoxy that you are using? and maybe a couple pics of the screws?

Thank you very much!

-Brad

hey i don't have any pics of the screws but i use devcon plastic welder and or jb weld/quick what ever i have on hand.

I voted no.

But if we are going to attach a beavertail on the glock, it will effectively push our gripping hand down and end w/ a normal grip not so high on the gun. If its the case then It would be better not to put that beaver tail and just adjust our grip a bit so it still seats high but clear of the slide bite.

I've had plenty of Glocks and in the beginning all was fine. But after I had shot a few years, the slide bite started to become a factor. I guess it happened because of the way I grip the pistol changed a bit through practise. And there might be some changes to the web of my hand as well, as I was under twenty when I first shot with one.

When I got my hands on the new Gen4 G17, it felt pretty good and my hands were positioned just slighty differently when holding the pistol. I borrowed one from a friend of mine so that I could really train with one and see what would happen. I've noticed that some pistols may feel OK when you handle them in a shop, but aren't that good anymore when you start shooting live ammo, doing draws from a holster, mag changes etc.

Now after 4k rounds of using my own Gen4 G17 in both practise and competition, I've been quite happy with the results. No slide bite and the smaller grip helps me control the pistol better. It even seems to point better... :cheers:

I voted no.

But if we are going to attach a beavertail on the glock, it will effectively push our gripping hand down and end w/ a normal grip not so high on the gun. If its the case then It would be better not to put that beaver tail and just adjust our grip a bit so it still seats high but clear of the slide bite.

Yes and no I grind the bevertail area down till the farme is about 1/16" thick between the frame and the ejector housing. So I can get higher then you could on a stock glock and still not got bitten

Nice work razerok1 here is the first one i did.

you can see a blend mark though... I used JB weld and semi flat black Krylon.

Looks pretty good if the blend mark bothers you try hitting it with some 600 grit sand paper and work at it slowly.

Every DAMN Glock I shoot. :o:angry2:

Guess I have been shooting way to many high cut really nice 1911's for about,,,,, 25 years or so. ;)

I am running Grip Force Adapters http://http://gripforceproducts.com/ on my 19,17 & 17L for about 4 months now. This is a great product.

I have been talking to Mike Cyrwus at http://www.accurate-iron.com/ to do his beavertail work on my 17L. I will post back with photos on this project when finished. :D

I voted yes because my G34 tends to bite if (when) i get a just bit high on the grip. I have never had this problem with my G21, though. I'll confess that I have "meaty" hands. And, I wish it was limited to my hands, HA!

I deposit DNA on a regular basis. Usually only the top of my thumb 'cause I have weird boney thumb that is set juuuusssst right to catch the slide. I can't use most of the beavertail's or grip adapters because they won't fit in my work holster and I'm not rich enough to afford dual guns......yet.