Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 3 or Gen 4 Glock 34?

Steve Koski

I'm pre-approved for a gun purchase when my birthday rolls around. I've shot a gen 3 G35 for years, but would like to dabble in the 9mm world for IDPA competition. Is the Gen 4 all that? Or should I stick with the grip shape (and spare parts) I've come to know for so long?

I shot a few rounds through a Gen 4 at a Glock booth last week. The "dot" connector wasn't thrilling.

Thanks for your input.

Koski

I'm pre-approved for a gun purchase when my birthday rolls around. I've shot a gen 3 G35 for years, but would like to dabble in the 9mm world for IDPA competition. Is the Gen 4 all that? Or should I stick with the grip shape (and spare parts) I've come to know for so long?

I shot a few rounds through a Gen 4 at a Glock booth last week. The "dot" connector wasn't thrilling.

Thanks for your input.

Koski

If you shoot the gen 3 35 and like it, and shot the gen 4 34 and did not, stick with what you know. Go with Gen 3 34.

The Gen-4 is a mixed bag, as far as I'm concerned. There are four areas in which the gun is different from Gen-3: grip, magazine release button, trigger components, and recoil spring assembly. These are just my opinions, for what use you might be able to get from them:

(1) Grip. I like it. The Gen-4 texturing is immensely more secure in my hands than Gen-3, even when the latter has grip tape appplied. Also the "naked" Gen-4 grip, i.e. no extra backstrap laid over it, is considerably smaller than the Gen-3 grip. I don't have particularly large hands and the Gen-4 fits me much better.

(2) Magazine release button. I also like it. The much larger button allows me to execute much more positive mag changes with much less shifting of the gun in my hand. It's better in this regard than even a Gen-3 extended button, in my experience.

(3) Trigger components. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, as far as I'm concerned. After testing my Gen-4 G17 article sample gun I pulled out the Gen-4 trigger bar (retained the trigger module housing, natch, gotta have that since a Gen-3 won't fit into the Gen-4 frame) and replaced the trigger bar with Gen-3 but that was only because I had that part on hand already polished. Also dumped the factory 5.5 pound connector for a pre-polished 4.5, of course.

(4) Recoil spring assembly. I don't particularly care for the Gen-4 recoil spring assembly, at least in 9mm. It makes a lot of sense in .40 S&W in a Glock, and I could certainly see its sense in .357 SIG, and even .45 ACP or .45 Glock. But in 9mm? It's not needed. Also it doesn't allow changing the recoil spring weight to my preferred poundage to tune the recoil characteristics to my preference. Fortunately we have the Jager guide rod system (and ISMI 13-pound recoil springs) to deal with that problem.

For myself, I've made the switch to Gen-4 G17 in my carry gun, and I compete with my carry piece. If I was contemplating purchase of a G34 for competition I would go Gen-4 for the smaller grip and better mag release button. But that's just me. And the gun would have to have a Jager guide rod.

Gen 4 34's have been out there for a little bit. Funny thing is that there are not any complaints about them. The complaints have been the 17 and 19. i wonder if the added mass of the slide is keeping things working good?

Edited by 98006

The added mass of the G34 versus G17 slide is a whopping 0.88 ounce so I rather doubt that's it. I would say that what's happened is that, by the time the Gen-4 G34 came around, Glock had time to get the 9mm recoil spring assembly sorted out, after a series of trial and error misstarts with the G17.

i wonder if the added mass of the slide is keeping things working good?
There's less than 1 oz difference between a 17 and 34. The cutout in the top of the 34's slide evens up the weight.

I prefer the Gen4 for the same reasons a couple of other posters listed above: grip size and texture, mag catch size/position.

I was running a Gen4 35 from December 2010 through August this year in countless matches. I switched over to a Gen4 22 because I shoot it better.

I just got a Gen 4 G34. Decided on the gen 4 over the gen 3 because of the smaller grip size and enlarged magazine button. However, the occasional brass to the face is a bit annoying. I even have the upgraded RSA. Hopefully getting the ejector replaced will fix my problems.

I've seen a few posts of issues with the Gen4 34's already just like with the other Gen4 Glocks, and not just with the 9mm's, seems quite a few are even having teething issues with the .40's too (just not quite nearlyas many as with the 9's).

While a few have Gen4's that run fine, the issues are are more or less epidemic in proportion compared to the proven Gen3 Glocks.

Personally, after trying (and then promptly getting rid of) 3 different problematic Gen4 specimens, in hindsight I have no idea why someone (including myself) would want to risk picking up a potentially "moody" Glock when there are ones out there that run like a watch as half the reason I shoot one is based on their reliability and how proven the Gen3 platform is.

If someone absolutely needed the smaller grip to the point where it was a real deal-breaker I'd push them in the M&P or better yet CZ direction.

CK1,

The problem with your post is it is backwards. The majority of gen4s have worked fine, but there have been SOME 17s and 19s with issues. I know you personally had a problem with yours but you are NOT the majority. The Gen4 upgrades are in my opinion a huge improvement over gen3. Most complaints about gen3 was grip texture or lack there of, the mag release being to small and short, and the size of the grip. All of these issues were addressed with the gen4 upgrades. I will agree with you that Glock should have made sure the 9mm guns were up to the same standard of across the board reliability as the gen3 guns. At least at this point it is being address by Glock and fixed.

Again I'm sorry you had a bad experience but you are in the minority.

Matt

I shot a glock gen 4 17 with Atlanta Arms subsonic Saturday at the Conyers GSSF match and it functioned flawlessly. I have been shooting a gen 4 35 and 23 about 10 months and have not had any problems as long as I stay above 140 power factor. I prefer the feel of the gen 4 frame.

Matt,

With all due respect, it's not just the ones I tried, if you have several hours (or days) there's a couple hundred threads over on GlockTalk about issues with the Gen4's you could read through if you wanted to...

Edited by ck1

Matt,

With all due respect, it's not just the ones I tried, if you have several hours (or days) there's a couple hundred threads over on GlockTalk about issues with the Gen4's you could read through if you wanted to...

Exactly. Stick with Gen3 Perfection.... before they un-Perfected it.

Plus.... you already have a Gen3 35. Same feel.

T

Edited by Tattoo

Hey Steve it's Josh from UDPL. I had a Gen 4 G22 thinking I would like it compared to a Gen 3. But I ended up selling it. I'll stick with the Gen 3's. I want all of my Glock parts to interchange and for some reason I couldn't get the Gen 4 trigger to be as light or crisp as my Gen 3's. The adjustable back straps are nice but I am used to the Gen 3 grip angle so that didn't matter much. I hate the finish on the Gen 4's. It doesn't seem to hold up nearly as well as the Gen 3.

When making my decision I knew that glock would get it right eventually with the gen 4's, but if you're buying today it's better to stay with the gen 3's based on the overall opinions of those in the forums, those at the matches, and those respected names in the field.

Then Gen 4 appeals to me just so I don't become a dinosaur, with out of date equipment. I like the smaller grip a little, but am so used to the Gen 3 grip this probably doesn't matter.

I do worry about those little grip squares rounding off with time. My Gen 3 G35 shows some grip wear, I can only imagine it would be much worse with fewer, sharper protrusions.

Then Gen 3 appeals to me as it would feel the same and for parts interchangeability.

I download some of my Gen 3 G35 ammo to about 140-145 PF (stock springs), but think I could get closer to 125 with a 9mm, and the components would cost less.

I think I'm leaning Gen 3. Dammit. Maybe I should sell some guns and get one of each.

Thanks,

Koski

Steve, the .40 can shoot minor, and for about the same cost as 9mm if you use 135s. I run 142 PF .40 (180 grain) with a 15# spring in my G35 for 3Gun, 100% function with all racy parts. To me, the 142 PF "feels" about the same as 130 PF 9mm, but it takes dwon steel with more authority. When I shot IDPA, I was running 135s at 1000 fps, very accurate out to IDPA distances and very soft shooting with a 13# spring. I also have a 120 PF load that uses 155s and an 11# spring, talk about soft...