Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time for some new cleats

open17

I got a pair of the Salomon Speedcross 3's and they just plain ole rock. I think full on cleats aren't as good for all the conditions that you will run into at ranges. You will get great traction on any surface, anywhere from dirt, sand, grass, concrete, and rock. I always have problems with my feet hurting also (to small of feet under too much weight) but since I have been wearing the Speedcross my feet have not bothered me as much.

Ditto on the Speedcross 3s. Not exactly like traditional cleats but all the benefits plus comfort. If you have wide feet check out a 1/2 size up or so, I think they tend to be on the narrow/small side. Damn cool looking too!

I wore my Salomom Speedcross 3 at IDPA Worlds. I wore them for 2 days on very soft ground. The traction I got with them on the soft ground was much better than my old shoes which were Inovas. The Inovas would get clogged in mud but not the Speedvross 3. Even better, my feet did not hurt at the end of the day like they did with the Inovas.

I switched from Nike Land Sharks to Salomon's and it has been a big help. I developed Plantar Fasciitis and after a 10 stage match in the Nike's, I limped for several days. The Salomon's are more comfortable and the pain has alleviated greatly.

Ric

FWIW....just tried on a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3 and they were too narrow (I wear EE/EEE dress shoes); I really, really like the design and wish they would've worked. I have been wearing Inov-8 Roclite 295, which fit me very well, but I wanted to try a different brand/design.

I switched from Nike Land Sharks to Salomon's and it has been a big help. I developed Plantar Fasciitis and after a 10 stage match in the Nike's, I limped for several days. The Salomon's are more comfortable and the pain has alleviated greatly.

Ric

Same here. I've always used Nike Land Sharks for USPSA and Merrills for IDPA. Since I picked up the Salomon Speed Cross 3s I use them for both sports and they are great. Yes they do run a tad small/narrow but they are awesome! The Land Sharks are just too uncomfortable for long days...

• 2 weeks later...

Got some Speedcross 3s and love em. They work great on both the rock/gravel of the ranges, on the wooden Cowboy shooting platforms we use, trail running, even running on pavement. Plus they are super comfortable as a daily knock around shoe. Outstanding product.

I too, also just got some Salomon Speedcross 3's. I was wearing Merrell's for IDPA - they were comfortable, but very heavy. After shooting a long match, my feet were exhausted. I shot a 12 stage IDPA match with my SC3's and they felt great. Way lighter that the Merrell's and I found I got more traction as well. I am very happy with them.

Just tried out my new Salomon Speedcross 3's based on a recommendation from a Rudy shooter and as always the Enos Forum! I cannot speak more highly of a shoe that is SO comfortable and light! :cheers: Tried them out yesterday on smooth surfaces and in the mud with no slippage. I would highly recommend these to anyone!

Keep in mind the original poster needs wide shoes. The Salomon's are very narrow shoes, I tried some locally and had to go to 4 half-sizes larger before I had enough volume. The Salomons are definitely a no-go for anyone with wide feet. I gave the Mudclaw 333s a shot, not sure if I'm going to keep them. I usually wear 10.5 EE/EEEE and to wear the Mudclaws I had to go with 11.5 M to get enough width.

The only cleats I know of for wide feet are football cleats. They're less than ideal for wood planking or plywood. I'd love to find a hybrid cleat/runner that fit my feet without compromise.

I've been running the Addidas Kandia 4 and love them. Plus at only $39.95-$49.95 way better price point then the Solomon's. I do think the Speedcross's are better shoes, but not that much better for what we do in them.

Just tried out my new Salomon Speedcross 3's based on a recommendation from a Rudy shooter and as always the Enos Forum! I cannot speak more highly of a shoe that is SO comfortable and light! :cheers: Tried them out yesterday on smooth surfaces and in the mud with no slippage. I would highly recommend these to anyone!

+1. Got mine a few weeks ago and shot at Mcd, the same day you were out there as a matter of fact. Did not shoot well, but the shoes were outstanding - and this from a (now former) Vasque and Merrill wearer.

OP and Steve... if you are looking for wide shoes. Try Inov-8 Roclite 295. I normally wear size 11.5 or 12.0 E/EEE dress shoes. The Roclite 295 is built on a different last from other Inov-8 shoes and has a bit more cushion, as well. This Inov-8 is not nearly as popular as those of other shooters are wearing, but I promise you'll like them a lot.

http://www.irunfar.com/2011/01/inov-8-roclite-295-review.html

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-I8RC29B.html (fyi...runningwarehouse has as a 10% off coupon available)

Keep in mind the original poster needs wide shoes. The Salomon's are very narrow shoes, I tried some locally and had to go to 4 half-sizes larger before I had enough volume. The Salomons are definitely a no-go for anyone with wide feet. I gave the Mudclaw 333s a shot, not sure if I'm going to keep them. I usually wear 10.5 EE/EEEE and to wear the Mudclaws I had to go with 11.5 M to get enough width.

The only cleats I know of for wide feet are football cleats. They're less than ideal for wood planking or plywood. I'd love to find a hybrid cleat/runner that fit my feet without compromise.

Edited by justaute

• 2 weeks later...