Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha Race Master

cworks

(Using my Pocket Pro Timer I bought from Ogiebb).... I just bought a complete Race Master Set up from Double Alpha's website and I love it. This is my first "real" competition rig. I just opened the box and have only set up my holster and my first mag pouch. I was practicing my reloads to see if I liked the position of my first mag pouch. My wife was filming and she thought I was a little crazy, but was pretty amazed at how fast I was. This video was literally probably the 10th time I reloaded at full speed. I don't know if this is fast but I am pretty happy with it.

I can't speak for any other holsters or mag pouches, as I have never owned any, but I can say the Double Alpha rig is awesome!! I did modify the pouches though. I think it might be referred to as the " side ways mount"? Basically I was torquing my wrist with it set up the way it cam out of the box. So I moved the mounting bracket (with to tools and screw supplied in each mag pouch) so that my mags were flat.? Might suck if I ever have to lay in the prone, but oh well I will deal with it.

So if any newbies are out there and don't mind spending the extra few dollars for a good set up. I defiantly recommend getting the Double Alpha Race Master set up!!

Also, when my holster is locked I can turn my belt upside down and shake it violently without my pistol falling out!! I can make a video if you would like.

Chris

IMG_0582-1.MOV

Edited by cworks

I have used several of the competition holsters. One day a fellow shooter showed up at the range and let me mess with his new Double Alpha holster. I liked it so much I ordered one the following week. The Double Alpha is by far the best I have came across. Now if they could lower the price of the mag pouches I'd be all over it.

I have used several of the competition holsters. One day a fellow shooter showed up at the range and let me mess with his new Double Alpha holster. I liked it so much I ordered one the following week. The Double Alpha is by far the best I have came across. Now if they could lower the price of the mag pouches I'd be all over it.

Over the years have I tried several brands of holsters and pouches.Two that comes to mind are Ernie Hill and Safariland.But the DAA Race Master holster and mag pouches are the best I,ve tried. They are not cheap but quality seldom is. What I have found is that it is not a bad thing to use a little threadlock here and there to lock the adjustment points.Thats about it.When I first bought the holster was I very impressed with the instructions they where well written and illustrated.Highly recommended.

The locking "tooth" on the holster had to be filed to fit my gun. There is a video on Youtube of Saul making this modification. They make the holster extra tight because of the tolerances seen in various Glock frames. Mine needed a few minutes of careful dremeling and testing to get it right, not too big of a deal.

The mag pouch comes with plastic inserts for STI type mags and for CZ type mags. The Glock mags are somewhere in between. You have to take the bigger insert and sand it down to get the mags to fit. Not "hard" to do by any means, but it took a bit of time to get it right. I actually would like to take more off to make the mags looser(there is also a tension adjustment wheel you can turn to fine tune the action) but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The locking "tooth" on the holster had to be filed to fit my gun. There is a video on Youtube of Saul making this modification. They make the holster extra tight because of the tolerances seen in various Glock frames. Mine needed a few minutes of careful dremeling and testing to get it right, not too big of a deal.

The mag pouch comes with plastic inserts for STI type mags and for CZ type mags. The Glock mags are somewhere in between. You have to take the bigger insert and sand it down to get the mags to fit. Not "hard" to do by any means, but it took a bit of time to get it right. I actually would like to take more off to make the mags looser(there is also a tension adjustment wheel you can turn to fine tune the action) but haven't gotten around to it yet.

do you have the rm mag pouches or the plastic>?

thanks.

Is the lock pretty easy to take off "on the clock". I had considered a race holster but never could get comfortable with them unlocked on the "weird" start positions ie laying down etc

Compared to the usual suspects it is extremely easy to lock and unlock. The lock lever is on the back of the holster right where your middle finger is on the draw.

+1 on the blue loctite, you'll need some on the adjustment bolts cause they'll work themselves loose under normal use. the holster is fast yet has very good retention even with the lock off. if you have a start like sitting loaded/holstered on a stool, you dont have to worry about the holster falling out when you step off if the lock is disengaged. and if you try to draw with the lock on you'll get a wedgie like you wont believe. great holster

+1 on the blue loctite, you'll need some on the adjustment bolts cause they'll work themselves loose under normal use. the holster is fast yet has very good retention even with the lock off. if you have a start like sitting loaded/holstered on a stool, you dont have to worry about the holster falling out when you step off if the lock is disengaged. and if you try to draw with the lock on you'll get a wedgie like you wont believe. great holster

Yeah, I found that out the hard way. This past weekend I was at the NC Sectional and my adjustment knob and spring came out as I started a stage. Luckily, one of my buddies found it and I was able to crank it down for the last few stages. I will get some threadlocker this week and put it on.

About the comment on the lock, usually you don't need it - it's pretty secure for the start position of a CoF. There was one stage at this year's Area 6 where you needed to run off a platform with a ball in your hand. In that situation, I kept it locked until I threw the ball, then unlocked and drew. It was very smooth - however I wasn't :)

The best holster and mag pouches I've ever used and I have used just about all of them...

Thanks to all the info here, I just ordered a DAA rig. I got one of the race master mag pouches and two of the plastic ones. Shooters Connection send UPS tracking data within an hour and half... :cheers:

Last weekend I finally got sub 1 sec draw/fire with my uncle mikes holster and a dress belt... :roflol:

Can't wait...

(Using my Pocket Pro Timer I bought from Ogiebb).... I just bought a complete Race Master Set up from Double Alpha's website and I love it. This is my first "real" competition rig. I just opened the box and have only set up my holster and my first mag pouch. I was practicing my reloads to see if I liked the position of my first mag pouch. My wife was filming and she thought I was a little crazy, but was pretty amazed at how fast I was. This video was literally probably the 10th time I reloaded at full speed. I don't know if this is fast but I am pretty happy with it.

I can't speak for any other holsters or mag pouches, as I have never owned any, but I can say the Double Alpha rig is awesome!! I did modify the pouches though. I think it might be referred to as the " side ways mount"? Basically I was torquing my wrist with it set up the way it cam out of the box. So I moved the mounting bracket (with to tools and screw supplied in each mag pouch) so that my mags were flat.? Might suck if I ever have to lay in the prone, but oh well I will deal with it.

So if any newbies are out there and don't mind spending the extra few dollars for a good set up. I defiantly recommend getting the Double Alpha Race Master set up!!

Also, when my holster is locked I can turn my belt upside down and shake it violently without my pistol falling out!! I can make a video if you would like.

Chris

Thanks Chris for the info, and nice job on the reload!!keep practicing and you'll be up there with Tomasie.

• 2 weeks later...

I went from a comp tac in SS to limited with the DAA. 3 mo. ago and I can't say enough about the fit and finish. Holds solid and release is smooth when unlocked and the aluminum mag pouches are adjustable to no end. Bad azz gear!!