Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling all Southpaws

dover0020

I am a left handed shooter and have been shooting production for several years now, which means I have always hit the mag release on my gun with my trigger finger. I plan on having a gun built soon, (government model) my question is should I have my mag release switched to the other side or just stick to what I'm use to. I don't mind learning to hit the mag release with my thumb but is it faster and worth the time and money to have the gunsmith do it.

Edited by dover0020

I'm a lefty too and have been shooting pistols for 20 years with the mag release on the left side. Personally, I think there are some advantages to keeping it that way. It's virtually impossible to have an AD while dropping a mag and I don't have to shift the pistol in my hand.

The only side effect I've had, is the occasional bad grip, which results in the unplanned magazine change :roflol: ANd yes, it has cost me some first place trophies :ph34r:

I am left handed and choose to use my index finger to release mag, even when I have the option to switch out mag release to the other side. It ensures that my finger comes off the trigger when releasing a mag.

If you know anyone with a pistol with a mag release on the right side of the frame or it can easily be changed over, ask them to see if you can try it out before placing that order. M&Ps switches over easily, XDs are ambi, I am sure there are others.

Another lefty here, I use my middle finger for mag release and im not going to change whats works well for me. As others have said i feel like i have an advantage over right handed shooters.

It works really good if you ever shoot idpa for slidelock reloads cause my trigger finger is already laying on the slide release, i just use the momentum of inserting mag push the slide lock release into my trigger finger, done.

I bought a Gen4 Glock 17 to see if I liked having the mag release on the right side of the gun. Turns out my thumbs are stubby and I have to shift my grip to press it. Back on the left side of the gun for me! I'm always telling my right handed friends that they are missing out. I think I've got a few almost convinced.

I am with Calvary45 in that I use my middle finger to hit the mag release and I do slide lock reloads like him too.

I'll add my .02 here... I feel lefty's do have an advantage here.

Keep mag release on left and don't add an oversize button. I found this out in a match. A BIG button does make it EASIER hitting the mag release...just not good for a lefty's grip. I also trim the left side ambi down. Just make them mirror images of typical ambi's. Smaller paddle goes on left, larger on the right to let the thumb ride it.

John

Continue hitting the button with your trigger finger. That's what I've always done. And yes, stay with the standard-sized button. I've dumped many a magazine because of an oversize button.

Look at it this way. You can NEVER be DQ'ed for reloading with your finger in the trigger guard! :lol:

I am a left handed shooter and have been shooting production for several years now, which means I have always hit the mag release on my gun with my trigger finger. I plan on having a gun built soon, (government model) my question is should I have my mag release switched to the other side or just stick to what I'm use to. I don't mind learning to hit the mag release with my thumb but is it faster and worth the time and money to have the gunsmith do it.

i have small hands and do not like the fact that i must alter my grip twice to change mags (before and after depressing the mag release). this makes it slower to get back on target, especially during static changes. i struggled with index finger changes for years before retraining to an 'all thumbs' approach.

i use my thumb on my strong hand for mag changes on the move, and the thumb on my weak hand for static changes. i know this may sound counter-productive -- to have two ways to accomplish the same thing -- but it has resulted in much smoother transitions for me.

i shoot 4 Springfield XD's in competition, so there is no muscle memory to overcome when switching guns. might be different if i were to throw a 1911 into the mix.

Throughout my brief shooting career I have pressed the mag release button with the middle phalanx of my left middle finger. It worked okay except for when I owned a P-07 duty, in which the mags used to fail to drop if the press was not authoritative enough. The main caveat with this method is to take care not to activate the safety.

Another lefty chiming in- With 1911/2011 pistols, I hit the mag release with my index finger. I have been doing that for years and it works great for me. I do have to very slightly reposition my grip, but I have found I have plenty of time to re-establish my grip while seating the mag and aiming the pistol. Works well and my reloads are pretty quick these days. I really like this setup for the 1911 as it means I can quickly hit the release and then move my index finger to the slide stop, allowing a very quick and smooth reload to an empty 1911. Which, given the nature of single stack/CDP, is a good thing to be able to do fast :)

Interestingly (at least to me) is that when shooting an XD/XD(m) I tend to hit the mag release on the right side with my thumb without thinking about it. My reload times are the same as with a 2011, so there seems to be no real advantage/disadvantage. What's weird/interesting to me is that as long as I am not thinking about it, I will use the right side release vs the left side release on the XD. I think that is because it takes more of a grip shift to hit the left side on an XD with my hand size vs a 1911 or 2011.

Also interesting (again only to me any maybe other lefties) is I recently picked up a G17 Gen4 and swapped the button to the right side to use with my thumb as I could not reach the release with my index finger comfortably (I have long fingers and have to bend my index finger too far to hit the button.)

Long and short of it is, in my opinion, that you should go with whatver works for you on the specific platform you are shooting; and that what works with one pistol type may not be the best choice on another pistol type.