• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) .22LR stage guns

2) .357 Magnum with 22lb. trigger pocket pistol stage guns

3) 9mm Mp5 stage guns

4) 12 gauge side by side stage guns

5) All stage guns not listed above

I thought for sure you would have grenade launchers at the top of the list!! :wacko:

1) .22LR stage guns

2) .357 Magnum with 22lb. trigger pocket pistol stage guns

3) 9mm Mp5 stage guns

4) 12 gauge side by side stage guns

5) All stage guns not listed above

Stage guns are the work of the dark lord Satan, lord of flies and malfunctions.

Not having any targets that the majority of the shooters can shoot on the move.

Home grown flash targets that don't flash consistently.

Steel that you can't see in the woods.

Slugs targets over 50 yards.

Requiring shooters to shoot on, over, around, a port or barricade that gives taller or shorter shooters an advantage. If you make the bottom of every port/barricade angled all shooters get a support area that fits everyone.

Yep, those are the 5. I think you pretty much nailed it.

special rules for "special people" IE certain people allowed to cheat because their dad is the RM, or they got in a magazine, or some gun company pays them.

+1 particularly the ones who don't tape, reset etc... Whine for special treatment and get downright pissy when they might get edged out on a particular stage by a squadmate.

Wow- there are SO MANY already mentioned! Hate the "one different gun per stage" in a 3 gun match. Hate when ppl bring up the "real life" aspect- gets me really pissed, esp cuz my friends n i love the GAME- and we have all been in the real part of a two way range.

Basically hate ppl that dont support th ROs. Ppl who argue w/ the stage design, layout, procedures, and not helping to reset the stage.

Weather that is too humid.

Memory stages.

Stages that a non-Lim/Open shooter can't figure out his reloads on in one walk through.

Stages that require walking backwards too much.

Awards ceremonies with all the big dogs gone home, and most everyone else too.

That last one hurts the sport in my opinion. I know some people have reasons to leave. But if you want to promote the sport, stay the f*#k there and maybe speak to the nobodys.

Edited by JD45

Hmmm... I'll give it a go!

1. ANYONE who can't be kind, friendly and courteous! (RO's, MD's, Other Shooters, Spectators, etc.)

2. Adjustment of targets between shooters or squads

3. Being swept

4. The constant complainer or The loud mouth, lazy SOB that watches everyone else set-up, tear-down, tape, reset, etc.... (Ya, that guy!)

5. Putting too much pressure on myself and forgetting to have fun! (Yep, I am my own problem sometimes!)

Cheers,

Kyle

- Great thread Jesse. Should be required reading for all aspiring MD's. :)

Edited by DocMcG

• 3 weeks later...

These are my big 3 issues that can be addressed by match directors.

1. stages where the sun position, wind, foliage or surface condition will inevitably change and makes a big difference. I'm not talking about some rain or a breeze coming thru or some leaves getting shot off, but major issues that could be anticipated.

2. stages that are very long (shooting and/or resetting) unless accounted for in the expected flow of the match.

3. inability to calculate scores and award prizes in a timely manner.

But I still am grateful for all the work that goes into a match, notwithstanding. Also, I think experimentation at local matches is good, so issues are to be expected at that level.

Boy, I sound like a whiner. But I guess we all do in this thread.

SMSI You have pretty much hit the nail on the head in all 5 comments, the MD and the match planning drive the 3 numbered comments, good planning and experience make all of those relatively easy to address, as we all know you will never make everyone happy but it is relatively easy to make the masses happy if proper attention is applied.

And I too am grateful for all those that work matches and using a local match as a test bed allows for gaining the experience of what will and not work and the timing of certain stages or portions there of, if it won't work at the local level it probably will be a disaster at a large event, the devil is in the details and having a good team, :cheers:

1. steel targets that you have to hunt like a coyote to find. use painted steel and noticeable backers. (like the ones on the mini poppers at Ozark.) (why weren't they on the others?)

2. slug targets further than 50 yards. slugs are for shooting through walls and tearing down concrete blocks. (well in law enforcement anyway.)

3. cold weather! easy to cool off if it's hot.

4. leaving essential equipment at home. ( like one of the three guns.)

5. snakes!

:cheers:

SMSI You have pretty much hit the nail on the head in all 5 comments, the MD and the match planning drive the 3 numbered comments, good planning and experience make all of those relatively easy to address, as we all know you will never make everyone happy but it is relatively easy to make the masses happy if proper attention is applied.

And I too am grateful for all those that work matches and using a local match as a test bed allows for gaining the experience of what will and not work and the timing of certain stages or portions there of, if it won't work at the local level it probably will be a disaster at a large event, the devil is in the details and having a good team, :cheers:

And I should have added that all these were well addressed at Rockcastle. I am sure many MDs took note.

1- Unreliable stage guns at the end of a stage.... especially when you have to fly to a match and you only brought enough ammo to shoot the match and do the usual make up shots..... having to shoot a stage two or three times really kills your ammo management! Please put those guns at the beginning of the stage so it is the match's ammo we are shooting over and over again. Thanks!

2- Stages that take a long time to score and reset (especially when you are in rough terrain).... it is usually the stage that backs the entire match up.

3 - Stages that are dropped from the match after you rocked it.

4- 0730 first stages.... especially when the time zone is working against you

5- Rain - precipitation should be unauthorized during a scheduled match!

Edited by tripletapjake

I'm new at this, so maybe it's "just the way it's always been". I don't understand why there is such a precedent to get a local match done by lunchtime, at least here in FL. I know that it gets hot here during the summer (I work out in the field enough to know), but this is an outdoors sport for Pete's Sake. Having to drive 2 hours to a "local" match and be there in time to help setup by 0700 is a bit ridiculous. I'm tempted to just make sure I get there in time for the 0800 brief and let the "locals" do the setup. I have no issues staying later to help tear down. Also, if I make the commitment to drive a couple hours to a match, I would like to spend the better part of the day at the match talking to other shooters and learning. Marathon matches where the main goal is to finish by lunch just isn't very fun IMO.

I'm new at this, so maybe it's "just the way it's always been". I don't understand why there is such a precedent to get a local match done by lunchtime, at least here in FL. I know that it gets hot here during the summer (I work out in the field enough to know), but this is an outdoors sport for Pete's Sake. Having to drive 2 hours to a "local" match and be there in time to help setup by 0700 is a bit ridiculous. I'm tempted to just make sure I get there in time for the 0800 brief and let the "locals" do the setup. I have no issues staying later to help tear down. Also, if I make the commitment to drive a couple hours to a match, I would like to spend the better part of the day at the match talking to other shooters and learning. Marathon matches where the main goal is to finish by lunch just isn't very fun IMO.

Many of the range owner make $$$ on the bays with public shooters that just spend 30 minutes for a full range fee. = its how they make their living and pay the porperty tax so that we can have a place to shoot