Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Area 1 Pistol Championship

1335669733[/url]' post='1693307']

had a blast at Area 1.

the scoring system they had was awesome, you could see your score on within 30min of shooting a stage. very cool that it worked well.

the stages were awesome, just a little too fast. but all of the stages with 28++ rounds. with all kinds of no-shoot, hard cover, swingers, drop turners and all kinds of activated targets. easy shoots and and medium shoots (no Hard Shots).

table starts, unloaded starts, at side starts, surrender, uprange... what i am trying to say is that it had everything you could want.

i vote Ken should get nationals to be held there! in st. george UT. they got more stages than they know what to do with!.

+1. This range is great. Lots of bays, not all spread out so it's not a long hike between stages and great stage design. Loved the whole match.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to know if anything changed on Stage 4. Things kinda got mucked up with what you could or could not do with the levers for the ports. Some were told by the RO's you had to do it this way and not any way other then in the stage descrption, but seemed to allow others to do it differintly. Seemed like stage descritions were diferent for some. Except for that minor glitch, it was a well run, great stage, good information match. I will be back.

Well, where are the results? I'm anxious to see what big names showed up, who made top 10, and how my friends did. Wish I could have made it. I did six consecutive A1's, but couldn't make it this year.

I'm also anxious to find out where the A1 will be next year!

Edited by splashdown

Just wanted to know if anything changed on Stage 4. Things kinda got mucked up with what you could or could not do with the levers for the ports. Some were told by the RO's you had to do it this way and not any way other then in the stage descrption, but seemed to allow others to do it differintly. Seemed like stage descritions were diferent for some. Except for that minor glitch, it was a well run, great stage, good information match. I will be back.

Heard some of that and talked to the staff an the RMs. according to them everyone had the same walkthrough. Staff or competitor. If a shooter asked if they could hold the door open with their hand they were told they could, but the RO's can't offer that info first. Just like any other stage. As a side note they also said the people who shot it that way were way slower than those who shot it the way it was designed.

Nothing changed with stage 4, still in the match.

Well, where are the results? I'm anxious to see what big names showed up, who made top 10, and how my friends did. Wish I could have made it. I did six consecutive A1's, but couldn't make it this year.

I'm also anxious to find out where the A1 will be next year!

We still don't have a location for next year. None of the clubs up north could do it next year so it will probably be south again. Still waiting on a couple other things to schedule before we can get a hard answer on the venue for next year. I'm hoping to have it all clear in the next few months.

Heard some of that and talked to the staff an the RMs. according to them everyone had the same walkthrough. Staff or competitor. If a shooter asked if they could hold the door open with their hand they were told they could, but the RO's can't offer that info first. Just like any other stage. As a side note they also said the people who shot it that way were way slower than those who shot it the way it was designed.

:cheers: Edited by pbc44

Sorry Chuck, hit the wrong key before. I can only speak for squad 16 on this deal We had 3 shooters ask the CRO directly if the left port could be held with the off hand and shot with the the strong hand. All 3 were told no, that the levers must be held down with the hand and at no time was a hand allowed to hold the port door open. According to the stage book "Port levers must be held for ports 1 and 3 to remain open". That was the answer given to us by the RO. I have no dog in this hunt, just looking for some consistancy. Still had a good time on some great stages.

Pedro

According to the stage book "Port levers must be held for ports 1 and 3 to remain open".

Pretty sure that was also written on the stage briefing paper, too. It is over and decided, so we can all just live and learn from it. Ken, Carl and Jim did GREAT jobs dealing with the various match issues that came up.

A fun match at an AWESOME location. All they need is grass on the bays! The dust storms were a bit nasty, but they didn't last long.

Ken. You folks did an outstanding job. The stages were great and well thought out. The ladies R.O'ing the Gully Run did an outstanding job considering they had to run back and forth.

Definately will be on the list to Must Attend next year if you folks have it again.

From an RO's perspective, it didn't take very long to get comfortable with entering the scores into Practiscore using the iTouches (and I'm not what I would call tech-savvy). However, I will say that IT support during the match is uber critical. Ours locked up on us three times during the match (not sure if it was operator error, hardware, or software), but we learned early on to go to paper copy to score the shooter when the screen froze. For my stage, that issue only caused one reshoot in 350-ish shooters on Friday-Sunday (that was the first time it locked up on us).

They set it up with a bunch of features. You have all your stages pre-programmed, auto default on the number of steel targets, and the squad rosters were all in there. Granted, the no-shows or last minute squad re-assignments may or may not have been reflected, but for the most part the rosters were pretty accurate. The only thing I would have liked to have had was the shooter's division info when we brought up the squads, i.e. John Smith (Prod). We were able to figure it out based on what they were shooting, but a couple of times had to ask to make sure their equipment was correct for the division or they were adhering to the mag capacity limits.

Other than that, my first experience using PractiScore was positive. Setting up the score sheet for the stages (remembering to include an entry line for NPMs) and the squad roster ahead of time is key. After that, its just button pushing for the ROs, then transcribing the totals onto a paper copy for the shooter and a back-up. Overall I'd say it ran smooth. It did seem like we had to wait quite a while after the last shot was fired to have the final results posted, but that might have been caused by other factors instead of PractiScore.

You did have to tilt the screen to see it in direct sunlight like any electronic device, and we did need to go to the auxiliary back-up battery at least once a day, but that's scoring 12 squads of 10-12 shooters... On a side note, the dust was pretty thick and I'm sure we scratched the heck out of the screens. Not sure I'd want to use use my personal iPhone/iTouch at a match...

From an RO's perspective, it didn't take very long to get comfortable with entering the scores into Practiscore using the iTouches (and I'm not what I would call tech-savvy). However, I will say that IT support during the match is uber critical. Ours locked up on us three times during the match (not sure if it was operator error, hardware, or software), but we learned early on to go to paper copy to score the shooter when the screen froze. For my stage, that issue only caused one reshoot in 350-ish shooters on Friday-Sunday (that was the first time it locked up on us).

They set it up with a bunch of features. You have all your stages pre-programmed, auto default on the number of steel targets, and the squad rosters were all in there. Granted, the no-shows or last minute squad re-assignments may or may not have been reflected, but for the most part the rosters were pretty accurate. The only thing I would have liked to have had was the shooter's division info when we brought up the squads, i.e. John Smith (Prod). We were able to figure it out based on what they were shooting, but a couple of times had to ask to make sure their equipment was correct for the division or they were adhering to the mag capacity limits.

Other than that, my first experience using PractiScore was positive. Setting up the score sheet for the stages (remembering to include an entry line for NPMs) and the squad roster ahead of time is key. After that, its just button pushing for the ROs, then transcribing the totals onto a paper copy for the shooter and a back-up. Overall I'd say it ran smooth. It did seem like we had to wait quite a while after the last shot was fired to have the final results posted, but that might have been caused by other factors instead of PractiScore.

You did have to tilt the screen to see it in direct sunlight like any electronic device, and we did need to go to the auxiliary back-up battery at least once a day, but that's scoring 12 squads of 10-12 shooters... On a side note, the dust was pretty thick and I'm sure we scratched the heck out of the screens. Not sure I'd want to use use my personal iPhone/iTouch at a match...

let me chime in here before anyone gets the wrong idea... go read Ken's summary in the match scoring, practiscore section... My take, from all accounts with the exception of the memory issue that they found, identified and are fixing asap in a release, PS on this size of match given what it was tasked to do performed exactly as expected (with the one noted exception). Certainly they learned a few things on how to do this again, but all in all, it appears to be a raving success and it actually found a buglet in EZWS it appears at first blush :)...

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

Near as I can figure there were at least 416 shooters. A new record for an Area Match? :surprise: :surprise:

Count announced at the banquet was 432. No doubt that included staff who shot.

Practiscore worked fine. ROs I worked with said a nice tape print out instead of penciling in on another score sheet would be great. Maybe the next version could do that!

Yep, the glare on the screen was a PITA. Kinda hard to find the shade from your hat to see the screen. NPM targets were set in the software. The specific targets with the NPMs could be a little hard to find if you didn't know how they were set in the software. Overall I don't think it was any easier or harder than paper...just a little different. Except for having an expert available to fix a glitch when it pops up. Completely agree with having pro IT support who can quickly respond to a call for help.

Near as I can figure there were at least 416 shooters. A new record for an Area Match? :surprise: :surprise:

Count announced at the banquet was 432. No doubt that included staff who shot.

If 416 is the count, it beat 2011 area 2 by one shooter!

Who won the Cameron pistol?

Practiscore worked fine. ROs I worked with said a nice tape print out instead of penciling in on another score sheet would be great. Maybe the next version could do that!

Yep, the glare on the screen was a PITA. Kinda hard to find the shade from your hat to see the screen. NPM targets were set in the software. The specific targets with the NPMs could be a little hard to find if you didn't know how they were set in the software. Overall I don't think it was any easier or harder than paper...just a little different. Except for having an expert available to fix a glitch when it pops up. Completely agree with having pro IT support who can quickly respond to a call for help.

The HUGE advantage over paper... Limited entry errors, Instant results.... And of course no trying to translate one persons chicken scratches into the correct values to then have to enter in to EZWS. In a word PRICELESS from a stats perspective. And yes, I know Ken is fond of the Ipod touches, but if you've seen one of the Nooks all your issues with screen, color, contrast go away, it's white paper in electronic bits in your hands and just as readable... :)

Alan

Frank Cook out of Missoula MT won it.

I'll give my detailed thoughts on Practiscore later this week when I've unpacked! Unfortunately gotta go back to work tomorrow. :( Short answer is, I loved it and it was very easy to use.

Frank Cook out of Missoula MT won it.

Close but not quite and I hope nobody called and told him that. Frank Koch out of Canada won it. He's already been contacted and is very much looking forward to it. Both are great guys.

Close but not quite and I hope nobody called and told him that. Frank Koch out of Canada won it. He's already been contacted and is very much looking forward to it. Both are great guys.

LOL - you can understand the mistake! (and no, so far as I know no one told him that...)

Edited by kiloindiatango