Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering a 650 or 1050

I've finally decided I would like another reloading press to help save me some time between conversions. Currently I have a LNL AP, and am considering a 1050 or 650.

My questions to you experienced Dillon users are, what cons, or nuance nuisances have you all encountered? What would you like improved? I am thoroughly familiar with many of the pros, and would like to hear from those experienced with these presses what has nagged them about either.

I run 2.5K a month through my XL650 in 9mm and another 500 of .223

Honestly other than doing the snapping shell plate bearing mod, I don't see how else to improve on it. I've had mine over a year now and love it.

I would love to get a super 1050 later down the line though for .223 and 9mm crimped brass.

1050 is not for everyone, it is for hard-core reloaders. The 650 is a far more "democratic" machine, less troublesome, much less expensive, and whole lot simpler in caliber conversion and maintenance. For most "normal" people the 650 is the right answer.

I have a 650. for the price of 1050, ill take 2 650's. BUT if money is no object, ill get 6 1050's, bullet feeder, the full automation thing and of course primer filler too!

No con I can think of. It is my first press as well. I dont shoot by volume maybe 1k a month. 1.5k the most. So 650 is more than enough.

Changing caliber is easy. 60 seconds. that is from 9 to 40, or reverse. (they use the same shellplate). It is more when you have to change the primer system and shellplate. maybe 5minutes? I haven't tried yet.

What caliber will you be loading? and how much?

EDIT: sorry. it is the 550 that has the same shellplate. my mistake.

Edited by Torogi

I have a 650. for the price of 1050, ill take 2 650's. BUT if money is no object, ill get 6 1050's, bullet feeder, the full automation thing and of course primer filler too!

No con I can think of. It is my first press as well. I dont shoot by volume maybe 1k a month. 1.5k the most. So 650 is more than enough.

Changing caliber is easy. 60 seconds. that is from 9 to 40, or reverse. (they use the same shellplate). It is more when you have to change the primer system and shellplate. maybe 5minutes? I haven't tried yet.

Same shellplate for 9 and .40 on a 650?

Same shellplate for 9 and .40 on a 650?

NOPE!

Pat

Keep in mind that the 650 is covered by Dillon's No BS warranty and the 1050 is not as it is considered a commercial machine. You can send the 650 back to Dillon and have it rebuilt at no cost. The 1050 can be done for a fee. Also, look at the total cost of caliber conversions including toolheads. The 1050 is pricey compared to the 650.

I have 2 650's and they both have performed flawlessly for solutions in search of a problem.

Pat

I have a LNL AP with case feeder and bullet feeder and an XL650, you will be disappointed in the lack of real improvement in the XL650. I've been thinking of a 1050 because of the primer swagger, since I load 9 major with range brass, those crimped casses make me cuss on the 650. The xl650 is harder to get right and keep right than the LNL and it isn't any faster, case feeding is a little better, but the powder measure on the LNL kicks the Dillon's butt.

I've finally decided I would like another reloading press to help save me some time between conversions. Currently I have a LNL AP, and am considering a 1050 or 650.

My questions to you experienced Dillon users are, what cons, or nuance nuisances have you all encountered? What would you like improved? I am thoroughly familiar with many of the pros, and would like to hear from those experienced with these presses what has nagged them about either.

In case you haven't seen these links, there's some reading on that topic here:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

I went from a LnL to a 650. I think the 650 is much better. Particularly the push to prime on the 650 is way easier. But a 1050 is nice. Really nice. If you can afford the 1050 and don't mind the added complication I would just get a 1050.

I'll let you know next week when my 1050 shows up. I've loaded about 10k on my LnL. Saw an RL1050 in the classifieds here and said what the hell. I think it depends on how you plan to use two presses. Personally, I don't see a reason to have both the LnL and 650. They really fill the same niche. I'd rather have two the same so I can share all the conversions. My plan is to set the 1050 up for 9mm (that's my volume caliber as I mostly shoot Production). I'll load everything else on the LnL because it's so quick and easy to change calibers on and the conversions are pretty cheap.

I just picked up an old RL1050, and have it sitting next to my 650. I'm mainly loading one caliber, and the 1050 is a little more complicated on initial setup, but once its dialed the thing just runs. Price difference between the 650 with casefeeder, bullet tray, roller handle, etc etc ends up being within a few hundred of the 1050. Jump ship and get the 1050. Almost NO ONE says 'Man, I sure wish I would have gotten a 650 instead of this 1050.' You will however, hear a lot of people say (including me) 'Man, I wish I would have gotten a 1050 from the start.'

Maybe I am the only one that this is a big deal for, but with the 650 I can easily visually verify the charges in the case but can not so on a 1050. Also I load 3 different calibers so the 650 works best for me.

Maybe I am the only one that this is a big deal for, but with the 650 I can easily visually verify the charges in the case but can not so on a 1050. Also I load 3 different calibers so the 650 works best for me.

Get the powder check, I had one for a year I got with another XL650 and gun I sold, then one day I said what the heck put it on, and I was amazed how much faster I could load, its like shooting it takes longer to look at the holes than it does to shoot them! After that I decided what the heck and put the roller handle on, since I binge load 1000+ at a time the roller helped the small problem I had with getting a blister in my palm after a 1000 or so rounds in one sitting.

For the guy with the weak tricyeps the LNL does take a bit more effort on the up stroke, but I find it improves my jab! Large primers are definately an effort to send home.

Keep in mind that the 650 is covered by Dillon's No BS warranty and the 1050 is not as it is considered a commercial machine. You can send the 650 back to Dillon and have it rebuilt at no cost. The 1050 can be done for a fee. Also, look at the total cost of caliber conversions including toolheads. The 1050 is pricey compared to the 650.

I have 2 650's and they both have performed flawlessly for solutions in search of a problem.

Pat

The issue of the warranty is somewhat of a red herring. The reality is that if you can't break a 1050 in it's warranty period, you probably can't kill it at all. If you succeed in breaking something later on, it will be from so much use that you won't really mind paying for a replacement part.

As for the cost of conversion kits, it's a valid point. The full up costs of a caliber conversion and dedicated toolhead comes close to the purchase price of a 650 minus the case feeder.

Although I'm a die hard 1050 fan, and generally figure most volume shooters are better served with one, there are times when it doesn't make sense.

If you shoot a lot in one or two calibers, a conversion kit for each makes sense. If you shoot mostly one or two calibers but periodicly shoot a third, it makes some sense to buy a 650 without the case feeder.

For the guy that shoots a ton of 9mm and .40 in IPSC/USPSA, but also shoots a .45 in single stack once in a while, I'd get a 650 in large primer for the .45, and buy a large pistol plate for the 1050's case feeder.

I hate wasting money. I'd rather study a bit, then buy the right tool that will last and serve my real needs.

You hopefully buy your reloading equipment only once. From that point on every day you get use out of it is a bonus.

Unless you are liable to quit shooting in a few years, I feel the 1050 is a relative bargin.

1050 is not for everyone, it is for hard-core reloaders. The 650 is a far more "democratic" machine, less troublesome, much less expensive, and whole lot simpler in caliber conversion and maintenance. For most "normal" people the 650 is the right answer.

Bingo... If you do small runs of different calibers and switch all the time, then don't get the 1050. It's too much work to switch it over. I do about 4-5k .223 with mixed brass at a time and I never switch out the setup because I use a LNL for my pistol. So it works great.

Thanks for the advice everyone! There is definitely a lot for me to consider here but now I have some great data points.

Currently, I load for .44, .45, .40, 9mm, and am starting up on .223 (with military crimps I need removed). I typically load 1-1.5k up at a time.

I have loaded on a XL650 for about 5 years and stepped up and bought SUPER 1050. I will say that at first getting it set up right was a little of a pain

but once I got it set the 1050 loads better than the 650. The biggest difference it how much easier the handle pull and how smooth it is on the 1050. I load 38sc 40 and 45 acp

switching calibers is a little more work but for me the 1050 is worth it. Its not like you switch calibers all the time. If I now I am going to switch calibers

I make sure I have 3,000 to 4,000 of the current set up loaded before I switch. Like said before by the time you set up a 650 with all the extras you can step up to

a 1050 for just a little bit more.

Thanks for the advice everyone! There is definitely a lot for me to consider here but now I have some great data points.

Currently, I load for .44, .45, .40, 9mm, and am starting up on .223 (with military crimps I need removed). I typically load 1-1.5k up at a time.

Not as fast as the 1050 but I have a Lee primer pocket reamer I chuck up in my drill press, ream every pocket if it needs it or not, quicker to do it than look at it. Same goes for trimming, I trim all check none, it is just faster to do it that way. I have a friend with a Gracey goes fast. If you don't have any friends a possoum hollow trimmer in a drill press set to high speed does the trick.

My LNL get 9 mm, 38SC, 40, 45, 44 mag, 357, 30 Carbine, 38-40, 223. XL650 only 9 mm 40, and 38SC. I had two xl650's but sold one and kept the LNL. The 357/44 is for lever action rifles, I have revolvers, but don't shoot them. I keep the XL650 rigged for my primary competition caliber, but on occasion I will run a 1000 of another. The LNL is just handy for doing what ever I need when I need it, but make no mistake it is just as fast as the Dillon, just take a manley jab to set the primer.

As I said only reason for me to think 1050 is the swagger for 9 mm major, I only load 2-3k fo 223 per year but 20k of 9 major.

Edited by CocoBolo