Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for free market research

War

What are the normal things you look for in a gun shop, friendly service, quality to quantity of firearms, reloading equipment(powders, bullets, primers, brass), self defense items.

anything you can think of will help :cheers:

Well, proximity is always going to be a big one. Location, location, location-- it goes without saying.

But assuming there's other options in the area...

The staff is the most important thing, IMO. People are willing to pay a bit more for good customer service, friendly treatment and knowledgeable (but not pushy) advice. You obviously can't get away with completely ignoring all of the other factors, but in the end, it comes down to the people who work in the shop.

More so than most other retail businesses, gunshops really do thrive on customer-employee interaction. In my experience, the vast majority of potential sales comes from folks who don't have a very firm idea of what they want or need. It takes a good salesman indeed to gauge their interests, knowledge base and requirements and then put together a selection of options.

At the same time, true "gun guys" come in as well-- and they know exactly what they want, and why. Treating them in the same manner is a surefire way to put them off. Obviously, your staff has to switch gears-- and they'd better know what they're talking about, or the knowledgeable customer will have second thoughts about making a purchase.

The single worst thing someone behind the counter can have is an elitist attitude. No one likes a smug know-it-all, regardless of their own familiarity with a subject. There is a gunshop with that reputation around my neck of the woods, and NO ONE in our local shooting community deals with that place.

In the end, people will be willing to pay a bit more for quality service-- even if they don't consciously recognize that willingness. Just don't open up near some conglomerate that can undercut your best price by 20%. You'll end up giving sound advice and dealing with a ton of people who just drive down the street and buy the gun you pitched from the mega store. Honestly, aside from truly custom shops-- those places will eventually kill off the smaller gunshops.

Edited by Sin-ster

+1 to having employees that do not have an elitist attitude. I keep going back to a shop where the guy behind the counter actually said "I don't know". He didn't claim to be an expert on every aspect of shooting. It was nice to hear. It was even nicer to hear when I went in next time and he shared with me what he had learned about the subject and wanted my opinion as well.

Make it a store policy to never hire X-SEALs or X-Delta Force "operators". Or X-CIA guys.

Everything Sin-ster said up above, so a huge plus 1!

hire staff that can keep their mouths shut, by not expressing their opinions. I had one employee point to a nice glass case of AR's of all different flavors and price points, and then says, "That's too much firepower for a civilian to have. Only the military or the police should have one of those."

Another employee told me point blank that the Second Amendment was not an individual right.

I have worked retail before at a major department store. Sometimes I get this notion that it would be fun or neat to work in a gunstore. Then I snap back to reality with this thought: "It's still retail. And working retail sucks!"

Don't stick it to people on transfers if they happen to find a better deal for a gun elsewhere, on the internet.

Don't stick it to people on transfers if they happen to find a better deal for a gun elsewhere, on the internet.

Amen! If a shop is going to gouge me on transfers, why would I think I can get a deal on anything else they sell? In point of fact, I've quit patronizing one shop that has a decent inventory, but charges $40 for a simple FFL transfer and complains the whole time about how you didn't buy the gun from him.

On the other hand, the pawn shop that charges $10 for an FFL transfer and is more than happy to do it gets my business for odds and ends, and is where I'd go with any special order business. They also get me standing in their store for 15 minutes looking at their inventory while they call in the paperwork and get approval.

The fact of the matter is that any brick and mortar gun shop is competing with the internet for business, and it's going to be very hard to beat the internet for specialized guns. But if you recognize that, you can use cheap and easy FFL transfers as a tool to get shooters into your shop and earn good will from the people who buy multiple guns every year, you'll eventually pick up accessory business and good will.

When a new shooter asks me where they should go to buy a stock gun, do you suppose I send them to the guy who ran me out of his business with his high fees and complaining, or to the shop where the fees are low and they're happy to see me?

MY shop charges $50 on transfers for guns they stock but their stocking prices are pretty good and I really dont blame them. They only charge $10 for customs, STI's or other high end guns that dont compete with the products they are selling. Pretty much the stuff I buy.

Im a big fan of employes that DONT point guns at me,

Good communication, evening hours, and cheap FFL transfer prices. If it doesn't have to go through an FFL, I buy it online. A small selection of 'oh crap' parts wouldn't hurt, like pins and springs for common guns, and spare parts for Dillon and Hornady presses.

Thanks everyone for contributing :)

well there wont be too many actual employees as it will be a small basically family owned gun shop and i know when to talk and when not to B), and i will have it open longer hours then the other small gun shop in the area, ill have basically "independent contractors" come in and check and clean my brass for reloading as i have a few friends that need some part time work and wont be dealing with actual customers, i used to own a computer company and i dealt with all sorts of people and i really only had 2 bad customers and lot of repeat customers(not that their computer wasn't fixed the first time around) i don't know everything about guns but I'm willing to research if a customer has an issue or question.

My location is close to 2-3 gun ranges within 5-25 miles the range that used to be at my house moved just a bit down the road, the one gun shop that's within 8 miles has firearms and ammunition for about the same price as Gander Mountain(which is about.. 20 miles) if not higher, i believe i can cut the price down on both of those with friendly service and help when needed.

What I've hated teh most is an overly authoritative attitude. I understand that tehre are a lot of morons who go to ranges, but there are a lot better ways to do it. Once I was asking about specific range rules; that was written on the waiver and release. Of course, I skimmed over it and signed it. One of the employees were explaining them to me, but the owner snapped "its in there. you agreed to it." I decided not to go back to that range.

What the others said-- people open gun stores because they're gun geeks. People apply for jobs at gun stores because they're gun geeks. Only a small fraction of the customer-base is gun geeks or they'd all be opening stores and applying for jobs too..

Make sure the employees have a customer-first attitude. Pick a target market and go for it. Trying to be all things to all people is likely to be a loser.

When I go to my local gun shop I generally glance through the gun counters then head over to the reloading counter. When I'm looking at guns, I'm mainly looking for interesting used stuff. I'll buy new guns from the LGS if the price is equal to Internet + $40-60 (what I'd pay for the gun online plus shipping and the transfer) otherwise I'll buy online and have it shipped to my FFL buddy. There is a gun range I used to frequent where I'd pay more because their service was really good however the LGS is generally staffed by idiots who don't mind making all sorts of loud offensive comments.

+1 to having employees that do not have an elitist attitude. I keep going back to a shop where the guy behind the counter actually said "I don't know". He didn't claim to be an expert on every aspect of shooting. It was nice to hear. It was even nicer to hear when I went in next time and he shared with me what he had learned about the subject and wanted my opinion as well.

And how! I have a lot of respect for someone that says "I don't know, but I will make it a point to find out!" ...and then does exactly that.

That is called doing your job the right way...and unfortunately that is something that a lot of people don't do these days...

Try to keep your profit margins reasonable because as some have already said, you're competing with internet sales. I usually try to buy bulk powder online for my competition loads, but everything else I go to my local gun shop for because he tries to be somewhat competitive with the 'net and if he has what I need I don't have to wait for it to be shipped to me. My feeling is I need to support my local shop so he can stay in business as opposed to not having a shop close by and having to order everything or drive a long way to get something. There are conveniences to having a gun shop close by as opposed to internet sales, capitalize on those conveniences! Good luck to your new business venture! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Good communication, evening hours, and cheap FFL transfer prices. If it doesn't have to go through an FFL, I buy it online. A small selection of 'oh crap' parts wouldn't hurt, like pins and springs for common guns, and spare parts for Dillon and Hornady presses.

I agree

theres a little shop 60 miles from my home, that I drive to.

he has a good reloading section, If you want something specific,on his next order he will start carring it.

common parts like springs and such he has them, maybe not the brand you want, but your gun will be running for the match tommorow.

a couple of CR speed belts and mag pouches,enough to get you through a emergency.

Thats why I will drive 60 miles.

I also never ever wanna hear, "We can order it for you" unless it is a gun. I can order it for me.

This one chaps me hide also.

Im here because I hope you have it. if not I can order it myself and walk to the mail box and pick it up.

Make sure the employees have a customer-first attitude. Pick a target market and go for it. Trying to be all things to all people is likely to be a loser.

The first statement, I agree with - 100%

The other two, completely on the other side of the fence.

In a retail environment, you HAVE to be able to speak to all markets and all customers to be successful. You need to be able to speak to the hunters and the "John Doe" looking to protect his family. The amount of shooters you see on this site will probably be less that 1% of your sales. You are in business for those that don't know, not those that do know. Those that know, understand where to go for a deal. Your customer is coming to you because you have it in stock and they need it now...that and they just don't know guns. Think about that customer and what reasons you are in retail for.

Offer to order things all day, again most customers are there because they don't know where to go. A ton of retail consumers like to do business locally, that is your market.

Have a hunter, reloader, tactical, and smith on hand if possible.

That being said, I would not open a gun shop that didn't have a range. The range makes up for the loss in margin in the product you are selling (guns) if you can't make up that margin in the accessories. Stocking enough accessories to make up the margin is tough in initial layout, but so is a range....

I have a bit of retail experience and I have gone round and round about opening a shop, but it never made sense.

good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually would like to see a variety of employees who have different shooting backgrounds. Tactical, competitive, shotgun, riflt, pistol... A female shooter employee would be great to help the ladies. Men often don't know whats best for a woman shooter.

The staff is the most important thing, IMO. People are willing to pay a bit more for good customer service, friendly treatment and knowledgeable (but not pushy) advice.

More so than most other retail businesses, gunshops really do thrive on customer-employee interaction. In my experience, the vast majority of potential sales comes from folks who don't have a very firm idea of what they want or need. It takes a good salesman indeed to gauge their interests, knowledge base and requirements and then put together a selection of options.

At the same time, true "gun guys" come in as well-- and they know exactly what they want, and why. Treating them in the same manner is a surefire way to put them off. Obviously, your staff has to switch gears-- and they'd better know what they're talking about, or the knowledgeable customer will have second thoughts about making a purchase.

Good communication, evening hours, crap' parts wouldn't hurt, like pins and springs for common guns, and spare parts for Dillon and Hornady presses.

Agree with all of the above. Plus employee appearance. doesnt matter what your selling...its a business...dress, look, and act like a respectable person at least.

There is a local gun shop in my town where this man sits on his stool and doesnt get up, wears old overalls, staring at people like a racist grouch who drives me up the wall. Thought he was just horrible to me until i found out he is like that to everyone regardless of who you are. "example...walk in needing sights installed on a kimber compact pro and man tells me we only work on american products........)

As stated, the employees will make or break the business. As always with handling firearms, SAFETY FIRST!! I really don't care if it's the 5th time today that you have shown somebody that weapon, check the chamber. It's not just common courtesy. If you don't do that, I'm already suspect of anything that could come out of your mouth. You have just proven you don't know basic firearms safety.

The range backstop and the air cleaning / conditioning equipment is going to be expensive. There is a LGS here where the owner says that the HEPA filters required by local government are his highest monthly expense. The air actually comes out of the range cleaner than it goes in.... The range fees make up a significant potion of his business income.

Separate air systems for the range and the retail sales area. The fine particles that are generated on the range will work their way through a single air system and coat your retail inventory with a layer of soot, making it look like it's been on the shelf for 10 yesrs.

Pre-prepared folders that have all the necessary paperwork (like the 4473) made up in advance so when it gets busy, the employee just has to grab one and has everything necessary to make the sale. Nothing like waiting for a disorganized staff member to hunt down the right paperwork or worse, finding out they don't have the right forms to sell the weapon! As with all retail businesses, there are slow times when the store is empty. This is time that can be used to stuff folders.

HH

Customer first attitude cannot go unstated. No opinions, facts. Don't be afraid to tell you don't know but are willing to find out.

Make me feel like I'm getting a deal. Value added services such as how to break down a gun or installation of a sight can go a long way. A repeat customer can become a dedicated customer if they feel like they are part of more than just a buy sell relationship... club memberships to ranges with member events can go a long way... discounts to members also generate a base and patrons that feel like it's more than a place to spend money... but that the customer is respected and members are treated like VIPs.

Have a - we want to 'earn' your business and we want to share our knowledge kind of attitude.

A good stock of firearms goes without question, but a huge rental wall is outstanding, be generous with the rentals to earn the business...

Get vendors to come in and get your staff trained on all of the firearms you carry, nobody wants to buy a gun from a guy that knows nothing about the gun he's selling, or how it shoots or how to take it apart... etc...

Good luck,