Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 gr. vs. 124 CMJ ot JHP

40S&W

I prefer shooting 115 FMJ in 9mm or 38SC in my open guns. Why do many of you prefer to shoot 124 gr CMJ or JHP in you open gun?

IF you asking why do we prefer CMJ or JHP--no lead in the comp. 124 versus 115 is just a matter of personal preference. Some shooters like like the "feel" of a particular load better than the other.

Im thinking of trying the 115 grain mg jhp for my 9mm open gun. I use Silhouette. With a 115 grain whats your powder charge?

8.6 grains Silhouette @ 1.150 OAL give me 172.5 PF.

Edited by BMartens

IF you asking why do we prefer CMJ or JHP--no lead in the comp. 124 versus 115 is just a matter of personal preference. Some shooters like like the "feel" of a particular load better than the other.

That's exactly why I use CMJ...anything to keep the comp cleaner :)

i used 115's in my gun with N350 suggested by a fellow open shooter, they shot ok, but i hate loading compressed loads.have also tried N105, 3n37, longshot, AA7. i get more varience in OAL, and les consistency in my powder drop too, i belive with compressed loads. i have since moved to 124's with 3n38 because the 3n38 is awesome to load at 10.0Gr, i have to bump it up and compress it a bit (with my 3 port hybrid) with 115's and its a pain, and only shoots a LITTLE better. it shoots wonderfully with my 124 load. as far as CMJ vs JHP, never had reliability issues with MG JHP's becuase they have a good, round lip to em, and they are far more accurate than CMJ's, in my gun. i have never loaded zero, and a few hornady HAP's. MG just rocks. id be inclined to see how zero's perform, however.

not that it matters much, but the 115's SHOULD cost 8% less as there is less lead there.

But the opposite is true on MG's web site......124jhp's are 2$ less per 4000count case. :blink: :blink:

There are five pounds additional lead in a 4000 case of 124's versus 115's.

BB

not that it matters much, but the 115's SHOULD cost 8% less as there is less lead there.

But the opposite is true on MG's web site......124jhp's are 2$ less per 4000count case. :blink: :blink:

BB

Montana gold 124 JHP is 3750 per case

MVZ

BB

Montana gold 124 JHP is 3750 per case

MVZ

You are right.....so thats where the 8% adjustment comes.

I've only ever ordered 115MG jhp's in 9mm.

BB

• 2 weeks later...

i used 115's in my gun with N350 suggested by a fellow open shooter, they shot ok, but i hate loading compressed loads.have also tried N105, 3n37, longshot, AA7. i get more varience in OAL, and les consistency in my powder drop too, i belive with compressed loads. i have since moved to 124's with 3n38 because the 3n38 is awesome to load at 10.0Gr, i have to bump it up and compress it a bit (with my 3 port hybrid) with 115's and its a pain, and only shoots a LITTLE better. it shoots wonderfully with my 124 load. as far as CMJ vs JHP, never had reliability issues with MG JHP's becuase they have a good, round lip to em, and they are far more accurate than CMJ's, in my gun. i have never loaded zero, and a few hornady HAP's. MG just rocks. id be inclined to see how zero's perform, however.

I didn't catch a single word in your post......nice avatar.

i may or may not have been typing that on my phone...which i suck at. and i hope you got the general idea of the post.

i may or may not have been typing that on my phone...which i suck at. and i hope you got the general idea of the post.

Who cares what the post says when you have an avatar like that. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Who cares what the post says when you have an avatar like that. :D

What was this thread about?