Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Edge

assaulter

I'm serious about buying an STI Edge but I have a few things I'm curious about before I go all in. I almost exclusively shoot 3gun. When I shoot USPSA matches, I have been shooting 9mm in production and I treat it more for practice for 3gun than I do for anything else. With that said, I'm looking at the .40 because I want to have the option to shoot Limited or USPSA multigun. If I bought a .40 Edge, what would a 9mm top end run me later down the road? Would it be reliable if I did this, or would it just be cheaper to work up a lower power load in .40 for 3gun? Which brings me to another question, do those of you with high end 2011's shoot lead for your practice loads or stick with jacketed/plated? And lastly........who should I buy from??

building/fitting a 9mm top end wouldn't be worth it. so just develop at low power factor .40 load, somewhere around 135PF

I personally shoot lead out of my Edge but there are plenty who run jacketed/plated bullets out of their SVI/STI's. Either one works fine but both will need you to play around with OAL to figure out what feeds best for YOUR gun.

buy from Dave Dawson @ Dawson Precision.

www.dawsonprecision.com

Since your main focus is 3-Gun (and seemingly "Outlaw" 3-Gun), I would forego the Edge and just use an Eagle.

I would say that the perfect Outlaw 3G pistol would be an Eagle 5.0 in 9mm, since Power Factor is not an issue in most matches, but since you want to have the versatility to shoot USPSA Limited and 3-Gun, .40 is a good choice.

Eagle vs. Edge: If you're not shooting Major Power Factor ammo, the extra weight and reciprocating weight of the Edge will likely be more of a hinderance than an advantage. The heavier gun will swing slower, making draws and transitions harder. The Eagle, fully loaded with 18-20 rounds of ammo is already heavy enough. The Edge is sorta "over-kill", IMHO.

I agree with Joe's advice. Just download the .40 ammo to Minor and you're good to go. If you want to shoot the occasional Major Power Factor match, then just drop a tungsten guide rod in the Eagle and you've put weight into it when you need it.

(As soon as the Power Factor dropped from 175 to 165, I sold an Edge CHEAP and bought an Eagle....)

If you insist on building a new 9mm top end, STI and most 'smiths will charge you somewhere around $800-900 for the extra top end.

Edited by Braxton1

Yes. Other than the more durable finish, the trigger is better. That being said, I chose the blued finish and had a local smith "tune" my pistol. I personally prefer the looks of bluing to hard chrome despite the significantly poorer wear characteristics.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a high performance edge from Brazos along with 4 tuned mags. I can't believe I just spent that much on a pistol. I should have it in a few weeks. DP was out and it was going to take months to get one.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a high performance edge from Brazos along with 4 tuned mags. I can't believe I just spent that much on a pistol. I should have it in a few weeks. DP was out and it was going to take months to get one.

If it makes you feel any better I just bought the same set up. We're family! Hehe.

Its worth the money for the HP package over the standard Edge. Besides the chrome job you get the Brazos reliability work and trigger job along with other small tidbits like the microdot front sight and the Bigmouth magwell. Loved my HP Edge, the thing would eat anything including Hydrashok hollowpoints and Blazer FMJ.

I have both of these handguns STI Executive .40 bull and STI Eagle bushing barrel .40 the Eagle seems to swing just a bit faster but I like the Executive (Edge) better for USPSA major. I use the Eagle for 3 gun and steel challenge as its lighter in the holster and I download the .40 to be more on par with the guys shooting 9mm. I had the same triggers put in both guns and run the same magwells. I love both handguns expensive but to me worth every penny. I find the .40 to be a very versatile round.

I picked it up last night. It's VERY nice. It cuts into the web of my hand a little. I'm going to have to work on my grip, I can already tell I won't always activate the grip safety. Range day is tomorrow.

I also noticed that manually feeding rounds through it they seem to nose dive right into the feed ramp. Some factory rounds were fine, but some of my reloads ended up with dents in the side of the case and I can see rub marks on the bullet right at the case mouth. It seems like the dents may be caused because of the steep angle of feeding. Is this normal?

Edited by assaulter

I got my Brazos Edge yesterday as well. I notice the grip safety/frame area pinches the web on my hand also. Not sure what to do about that besides grinding down which means refinishing.

Besides that, I am in love.

Edited by JaeOne3345

I picked it up last night. It's VERY nice. It cuts into the web of my hand a little. I'm going to have to work on my grip, I can already tell I won't always activate the grip safety. Range day is tomorrow.

I also noticed that manually feeding rounds through it they seem to nose dive right into the feed ramp. Some factory rounds were fine, but some of my reloads ended up with dents in the side of the case and I can see rub marks on the bullet right at the case mouth. It seems like the dents may be caused because of the steep angle of feeding. Is this normal?

Yep. Load longer. Mine are all loaded at 1.200". Most load 1.180" at least.

Mine will feed factory ammo, but some won't.

• 3 weeks later...