Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Edge

assaulter

It cuts into the web of my hand a little. I'm going to have to work on my grip, I can already tell I won't always activate the grip safety.

This may not be the same issue you are having, but I found I didn't like the relief cuts on the sides of the stock STI beavertail grip safety. Yes it allows the gun to sit lower in my hand, but it also created a corner that rubbed the big joint of my thumb and sometimes I would get such a high grip that I'd get slide bite. This was happening with both my STI's (Trojan and Eagle), but none of my 1911's from other makers.

So I replaced the STI grip safeties with an Ed Brown that didn't have the relief cuts and all of my problem went away. Some minor fitting was required, but nothing a file and emery paper couldn't resolve.

I mainly shoot moly-coated lead thru my pistols. No issues, once you find the right powder combo.

Cheers

Edited by 2MoreChains

The reason I ask about lead is because mine are being forced into the throat. I'm trying to find out what the throat diameter is cut to.

Edit- As far as the grip goes. I've worn some pretty good calluses onto my hand now, so it doesn't hurt as much.

Edited by assaulter

• 2 weeks later...

Have you loaded any lead?

Nope. I think I will just stick with jacketed bullets. But, lead is a lot cheaper......I might have to try your lead loads.......assuming you get them to run in your gun!

Edited by djeffers