Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Infinity News!

BlueVFRank

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because everyone else is willing to stay with standard rifling doesn't mean it is good enough, innovation is what gets us better equipment to enjoy. I'm sure at the time flintlock dueling pistols were good enough, so why would anyone want something better.

Rich

2. The accuracy gains will come from the new rifling design. While the AET barrels have supurb accuracy they tend not to do so well with copper plated or lead bullets.

All Infinity guns I have every seen/shot are very accurate....many with sub-inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards from a fixed rest. I certainly cannot do that good holding the pistols in my hand but you all seem to be missing the key part of my posting.

Lee

1 Why does the barrel rib need to be "stronger"? Were there issues with the past ribbed barrels that I am unaware of?

1. Some barrels have cracked in this area....almost 100% in Major power factor guns with really fast powders being used.....the reasons can be debated but something better could be done so they did.

OK, thanks. I really wasn't aware of that.

2 Best I can guess is that this might work as a barrel stiffener ? For a gain in accuracy? Again, I thought their barrels were already at the top of the list in this regard?

2. The accuracy gains will come from the new rifling design. While the AET barrels have supurb accuracy they tend not to do so well with copper plated or lead bullets.

OK...better with a wider variety of bullet types. An improvement over the AET in this area. Cool.

3 What does this mean for slide strength? Seems like adding to the barrel rib means taking away from the slide... Doesn't look like a lot of material left for energy to flow through.

3. I didn't say anything about the slide.....the cut only reduces weight and in theory increase slide speed to cycle faster while leaving more weight on the front of the gun for balance.

And, yet I still wonder... :)

I'm not sure how that compares to the material left in the slide of older models. Perhaps it is similar enough.

From my point of view and experience, lighter slide with right spring tuning will give you less recoil, and the recoil becomes more backwords than tip lifting up.

Also a faster cycling of the slide will mean faster secound or third if you need that :)

That combined with more accuracy on any kind of bullets and stronger barrel.... whats not to like :D

Just because everyone else is willing to stay with standard rifling doesn't mean it is good enough, innovation is what gets us better equipment to enjoy.

Very true....I think that's why I said "I love the innovation towards improvement and trying new things".......almost took the words right out of my mouth :cheers:. My question is why are ALL the big rifle barrel manufactures shooting "standard rifling" (standard in terms of a non progressive rifling) and are able to produce groups as good as 10 shoots groups at 1000yards under 5". Also why are most (I could probably say ALL, but don't know that for sure) the top Bulleye and PPC (where it's all about accuracy) gunsmiths still using "standard rifling" barrels. I know it sounds like I'm putting down AET and whatever they're going to call the new and improved.....I'm not....honest. Just more curious what the push was to get away from "standard rifling" was. But also alittle curious if this is "the new thing" why were not seeing it in other venues.

Just because everyone else is willing to stay with standard rifling doesn't mean it is good enough, innovation is what gets us better equipment to enjoy.

Very true....I think that's why I said "I love the innovation towards improvement and trying new things".......almost took the words right out of my mouth :cheers:. My question is why are ALL the big rifle barrel manufactures shooting "standard rifling" (standard in terms of a non progressive rifling) and are able to produce groups as good as 10 shoots groups at 1000yards under 5". Also why are most (I could probably say ALL, but don't know that for sure) the top Bulleye and PPC (where it's all about accuracy) gunsmiths still using "standard rifling" barrels. I know it sounds like I'm putting down AET and whatever they're going to call the new and improved.....I'm not....honest. Just more curious what the push was to get away from "standard rifling" was. But also alittle curious if this is "the new thing" why were not seeing it in other venues.

No doubt in the long range rifle arena almost all manufactures are using conventional button rifling...I have one of those 5" 5-shot grouping at 1000 yards guns with a Shilen barrel. I am not sure it could get any better. In fact it is so good I have not shot more than 10 rounds out of it in 5 years. It is so good it is boring to shoot.

I think the reason you don't see anything different in those rifle barrels is that you cannot have a CNC machine with a 24+" long tool doing a more complex rifling operation....too much flex. In a 6" or shorter pistol barrel that is a different story and that is all I am going to say about that...

Lee

Edited by lneel

Brandon told me about those barrels some time ago.

I'm sure they just don't innovate for the pleasure of providing something "new" to the market.

If something comes out of the factory, this is because they identified a possible improvement, build it, tested it, then tested again ad finally market it.

We just need to wait a bit and see by ourselves that their innovations works.

I know of some GAP .243's using gain twist barrels.

I know of some GAP .243's using gain twist barrels.

Oh, they're out there for sure. Bartlein makes a great barrel too. In fact if you had to pick a "best", they might be it, which is saying a lot being that Kreiger has held that title for so long (and in all actuality probably still do). The question is if it's (gain twist) truly "advantagetous". Take Bartlein for example, they produce a ton more conventional twist barrel (most in a 5r rifling profile) then in gain twist. GA Precision WILL put a Bartlein T rifling (gain twist) on for you (it's your money, they'll do whatever you want lol), but all of their "stock" rifles that they build with an accuracy guarantee, still come with a convention 5r rifling Bartlein barrel.

the barrels are available to the general public, my buddy is building a gun with one. If I recall he said it was 10 bucks cheaper than a schuemann.

forgot to add he mentioned the slot was easier to cut.

Edited by ormondopen

I hate to sound like the hater but here goes.

Infinity owner: "Hey, my new infinty can do an inch and a half at fifty yards. They say that is a quarter inch better than the old guns."

Regular dude: "What can you shoot off hand at fifty."

IO: "About 10 inches if I do my part. It would be about a quarter inch worse if I didn't have this new design."

RD: "Then why did you have a mike on that 35 yard paper."

IO: "I jerked the trigger, it is set at 2 pounds, that is too heavy for competition, I will have my smith tune it before the next match."

RD: "Maybe you should work on sight picture and trigger control."

IO: "No Way! I spent four grand on this thing."

RD: "Yeah, your right, it is definatly the arrow not the indian on this one. I would send it back."

Lets be honest with ourselves we aren't shooting 1000 yards or fifty yard bullseye. Those are a completely different sports with a different set of skills that need developed.

From what I have seen in my brief time is if you put mini poppers and no shoots side by side at 35 yards you will have a course that can break a lot of shooters no matter what gun it is. DVC

Edited by leas327

leas327 -- I think your point is valid and can certainly appreciate it.

Nonetheless, different strokes for different folks. Some prefer all black guns, some prefer hard-chrome, some prefer two-tone, etc. Some like cutting edge -- make that bleeding edge -- technology. We all have certain predilection toward certain utility that just emotionally move us. You spell "your" and I spell "You're"; you use "definately" and I use "definitely." For some, that 1/4" may make a meaningful difference when you are shooting a 3" plate at 50 yards. We all have different levels of preference and thresholds.

We all just want to have "fun," however we define it. FWIW...I do not own, nor plan on owning, any SVI guns. Just my 2 pesos worth of twaddle.

I hate to sound like the hater but here goes.

Infinity owner: "Hey, my new infinty can do an inch and a half at fifty yards. They say that is a quarter inch better than the old guns."

Regular dude: "What can you shoot off hand at fifty."

IO: "About 10 inches if I do my part. It would be about a quarter inch worse if I didn't have this new design."

RD: "Then why did you have a mike on that 35 yard paper."

IO: "I jerked the trigger, it is set at 2 pounds, that is too heavy for competition, I will have my smith tune it before the next match."

RD: "Maybe you should work on sight picture and trigger control."

IO: "No Way! I spent four grand on this thing."

RD: "Yeah, your right, it is definatly the arrow not the indian on this one. I would send it back."

Lets be honest with ourselves we aren't shooting 1000 yards or fifty yard bullseye. Those are a completely different sports with a different set of skills that need developed.

From what I have seen in my brief time is if you put mini poppers and no shoots side by side at 35 yards you will have a course that can break a lot of shooters no matter what gun it is. DVC

SVI doesn’t just make guns for the practical shooting sports. There are other uses that might require that level of accuracy but we get to take advantage of those innovations. I for one was wary about using an AET barrel with moly bullets but this new barrel sounds interesting. I am glad we have companies like SVI that are pushing things forward instead of just prettying up existing technology.

justaute- I kind of knew that would sound harsh when I posted it. And I know people can buy and do what they want. But I picked up a "throw your old guns in the trash this new stuff is gonna be so much better" vibe.

I reminds me of golf. If I walked into a pro shop and told them I was unhappy with my game they would mention I might want to take a lesson. But then they would show me new clubs and tell me how the new stuff is so much better than my 3 year old stuff. They would talk about all the technology that went into these new designs that look marginally different from my clubs. They would even let me know that they will take the old ones in on trade to try and make it an easier hit on my wallet. But when it comes down to it I would be better served to use the money for golf lessons and not trying to buy my way to a better score with new clubs.

I think the guns look cool. It sounds like they shoot well. I like that SVI is concerned about quality and strives to put out a better product than anyone else.

Confidence in your equipment is a big deal for the mental game. If you know that stepping up to the line with a new SVI will make you shoot better you probably will shoot better. But I think it will be more you than the gun. That confidence and pride of having a beautiful gun will let you shoot closer to your natural ability.

My previous post was meant in a good natured poking you in the ribs way. It is just hard to express it in typed form. I apologize to anyone who got upset.

To add a slightly different perspective to what Ryan (leas327) wrote about it being the Indian, not the arrow. I agree that in the end it's the Indian, but at times having a good arrow teaches the Indian what he/she needs to learn... including eventually learning that it's not the arrow. :-)

I for the life of me couldn't call my shots with a pistol. No issues at all with a rifle. It was frustrating because I knew that I could do it with a rifle, but it was a whole new beast on my pistol. Sure it was easy on a .22 pistol because of the lack of recoil, but 9mm or .45 was just a struggle. The aha moment for me was when I started reloading and hit on a good 9mm load and spring combo and I could actually call my shots as well as track my sights. After that, even going back factory loads, calling shots was doable. Having the right arrow setup a foundation of success to build up learning on.

Those are nice guns. I'm glad SVI in willing to innovate and push the envelope.