Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SHADOW & USPSA PRODUCTION

SAMMY63

I'm going to shoot my first shoot with my new Shadow this weekend. I would like to know if you could lock the safety on or do you have to have the hammer down.

I have been practicing with this gun. WOW!! Glad I made the investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it hammer down to the half cock or fully hammer down? a new RO did not like my freind having to pull the trigger and almost DQ/ed him.

Hammer all the way down. There is some debate on the issue about going to halfcock in a thread around here someplace but I would put it all the way down. Relax, go slow and be careful. Pre-buzzer nerves and manually lowering the hammer has the potential for a trip to DQ.

Wipe your thumb and forefinger and hammer real well, go slow and make sure ro is aware. Also, practice before doing the match many times. Find out what works best for you. Have fun with your shadow it is a great gun.

Is it hammer down to the half cock or fully hammer down?

If it is a CZ that has a manual safety, as the shadow does, then the hammer has to be all the way down. If it is a CZ model that has a decocker, then the half cock notch as that is where the decocking mechanism puts the hammer.

Source: Area 5 range master Troy McMannus, emails conversation with John Amidon, and supplemental rulings on the USPSA webpage.

I recently put the Cajun Gun Work ERRK kit in my gun which made it illegal, however I'm putting the stock trigger back in and leaving the special disconnector in place along with the Extended Firing pin and the 8.5# main spring with reduced firing pin spring. This does not affect the single action trigger much and it makes the Double about half the effort and reduces the length of the pull considerably. I think it is the hot set up for production. With the light main spring David recommends only Federal Primers, my gun sets off Win SPP fine but your milage could vary.

So hammer down and the first shot double action, makeing the double easier will make it quicker.

I wish the ERRK was legal as it changes the geometry of the pull and shortens the take up, but it is not, for USPSA production.

I use to be nervous watching the manuel decock while RO'ing but now that I have been shooting my Shadow Custom I'm use to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a newbie with an SP-01 and to the Eno Forum as well so my comment may not hold much water, but MAN, that's a lot of BS. I understand the SA first trigger pull is a no no in production, but without a de-cocker wouldn't it be safer to have the thing cocked and locked? With my nervous sweaty newbie thumb, that manual de-cock is a scary thing!

Edited by stumpy1972

I just wanted to come back and let eveyone know, I took my ILLEGAL trigger out and now have the stock trigger. I left the short stroke disconnector in, and I'm happy to say I still have the lights shortest Double Action pull, yep, got a bit of free slack to prep first but that hammer rolls over in a really short pull.

I just wanted to come back and let eveyone know, I took my ILLEGAL trigger out and now have the stock trigger. I left the short stroke disconnector in, and I'm happy to say I still have the lights shortest Double Action pull, yep, got a bit of free slack to prep first but that hammer rolls over in a really short pull.

that is a not bad setup, I am doing a trigger for a forum member using that setup and it's not bad. the release feels different to me, but it doesn't seem to affect the reliability at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it hammer down to the half cock or fully hammer down? a new RO did not like my freind having to pull the trigger and almost DQ/ed him.

As others have said, it's all the way down. As for the RO, when it's someone I've never shot with before, I always let them know of the heinous act I'm about to commit - putting my finger on the trigger while slowly lowering the hammer. Most appreciate the warning, and I haven't had anyone object yet, as in your friend's case, but won't be surprised if I do run into it one day.

Yes, I manually lower the hammer fully down. NO, I do not inform the RO I am doing that. It is not my responsibility to do that. When I step up to the line, it is not my job to inform the RO how to do his job. Usually I'm a "path of least resistance" kind of guy. You know, nip it in the bud before it becomes an issue, so I see what you all are saying. However, when I go to the line, I'm thinking about the COF, my reloads, my start position, etc...I shouldn't have to worry about informing the RO Staff of performing a required and legal act per the rulebook.

Edited by CZinSC

I've run into IDPA SO's who dont like the manually lowering of the hammer, and complain that I should shoot ESP cocked and locked since there is a safety on the gun. :rolleyes:

The rule book only says that selective DA/SA pistols only begin hammer down.

I'm with Glen. I've never told an RO I'm about to lower the hammer. If they haven't seen one of the many production guns that requier lowering the hammer manually, I guess they'll figure it out soon enough.

I did have an RO at a local match ask me why I wasn't using the decocker. Of course he also told me I shouldn't pull the trigger while taking an unloaded sight picture.