Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mike Seeklander's Book

Cy Soto

Read the whole book first without taking any action. The second time I read it is when I started doing some of the exercises and then when I started to Dry/Live fire, I read those particular sections over again just to make sure I was doing it right. It is confusing at first as there are quite a lot of moving parts but after reading it the first/second time it made sense.

I received the book today and I'm a little lost. The little bit I have read says to read the whole book first. So I'm wondering does he line out a training program or am I supposed to come up with one myself?... How are you guys using it?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Mike's book and really thought he did a great job of pulling many of the parts of the process together. He also does a nice job of communicating a concept clearly with just enough detail. Highly recommend this book for all levels of experience. It is one that I'll read every year to get re-energized for the next season !

You need to read the whole book; unlike a lot of similar products out there, this is an actual program/system.

The drills fit together to meet an objective; it is not just shooting for the sake of shooting.

An important thing to remember here is that Mike is a professional, formally trained Instructor.

Many times great shooters slap some stuff together and call it a book or a class; this is not the case with Mike.

Read the entire book; I would also recommend the videos to more clearly illustrate the drills.

It's not just a workout....or a diet....or a list of vitamins. It's an actual lifestyle change; a whole new paradigm, if you will.

FY42385

Edited by konkapot

Anyone know how to go about getting PDF versions of the drills from Mike? I had the DVDs playing while in my shop today and heard him reference getting the PDF versions to print on your own but I didn't hear the specifics of how to go about getting them. I have the book, logbook and just got the videos. Having the drills for each session in a separate folder to take to the range would be helpful. Thanks for any help.

• 1 month later...

Thought you guys that were looking for score sheets might want to try this.

Download the Pratciscore app to your phone, build matches for each session,build stage for each drill, use date for shooter name, edit strings for reps, tricky part is targets. I tried to "edit target" so that I had one target for each rep but that will not always work, easy to get around though.

The really cool part is you get instant HF, number of A,B,C .., and total time for drill. I just started phase 2 and still have not gone back and calculated all that for phase 1 like I intended to after every session.

Shot a match last weekend that used Practiscore and downloaded the app just to get familiar with it. Hats off to MGM Targets, STI Incorporated, and the developer NiftyBytes.

yes, simply e-mail Mike with your proof of purchase & he'll send you the link to download teh PDF files. I made a half-size spiral bound range book with teh live-fire drills in it and another one for the dry-fire drills for use at home.

And don't forget about his 2 DVDs. I just got finished hosting Mike at our Club for his 2-day Competitive Handgun Course & after watching his DVDs I thought I was right back in class again. They are well worth the price & are invaluable for seeing how the drills should be done ...

Thought you guys that were looking for score sheets might want to try this.

Download the Pratciscore app to your phone, build matches for each session,build stage for each drill, use date for shooter name, edit strings for reps, tricky part is targets. I tried to "edit target" so that I had one target for each rep but that will not always work, easy to get around though.

The really cool part is you get instant HF, number of A,B,C .., and total time for drill. I just started phase 2 and still have not gone back and calculated all that for phase 1 like I intended to after every session.

Shot a match last weekend that used Practiscore and downloaded the app just to get familiar with it. Hats off to MGM Targets, STI Incorporated, and the developer NiftyBytes.

This looks like a great way to manage this, but I installed it and started to setup the stages and it doesn't seem to add up correctly in my iPad. I tried to setup a stage with one target that requires 2 hits and has 20 strings. Should be 40 rds, right?

This looks like a great way to manage this, but I installed it and started to setup the stages and it doesn't seem to add up correctly in my iPad. I tried to setup a stage with one target that requires 2 hits and has 20 strings. Should be 40 rds, right?

The only one I have set up like that is the "off balance shooting drill". I built 2 stages, one for left and one for right, 2 targets with 10 hits, and 10 strings on each stage.

The macro drills I have set up are easier than this type of micro drill.

The most strings you can enter is 10. The most hits per target is 15, you can enter more when you build the stage but when you go to score it it will not work.

I'm using a droid (evo), I think it is still the beta version.

Hope this helps.

Edited by -XX-

Anyone get the videos yet? How do you like them? I have the book and logbook on order, and I'm trying to decide if I should get the videos as well.

ETA. Aww screw it. Ordered.

Edited by RAZZ

The videos really explain and compliment the book. I wish that I would have had the videos to start as I was doing a couple of drills wrong, I interpreted them wrong (I guess) when I read the book.

I have been watching the videos just prior to leaving for my dryfire. Even though I have watched them numerous times and it gets a little boring, there is usually at least one key thing that I forget about but get reminded of in the video.

The best book I have bought yet hands down. What I love is after you shoot a stage at a match you think wow that was nothing but a pivot drill or a step and draw. Mike gives you the fundamental areas to work that stages are built on.

btw I have made a thread for all of us guys to comapre notes ect.

Mikes training notes thread

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The Western States Single Stack Championship is in the books. Kyle Schmidt, Bianchi Cup Champion, sets up the 50 yard Standards course. 5.7 second par time. Six shots. Four targets.

String one: 50 yards - six shots

String two: 25 yards - 3 shots,mandatory reload, 3 shots

String three: 15 yards - six shots strong hand

String four: 10 yards - six shots weak hand.

I am just an average B shooter---I was 11th on this stage. Big thanks to Mike Seeklander's program. Oh, I was also the top Super Senior. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.