Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mike Seeklander's Book

Cy Soto

Im working on Phase 2 of Mike's book right now. It really does fix a lot of the "what do I work on" stuff that causes doubt and second guessing. Because of ammo use I had to cut back from 2 sessions a week to just 1 and in doing so ended up drifting into changing the drills up and so on. That just lead me back to what I used to do with training sessions which was changing my focus from this to that and being wishy washy about what I wanted or felt like I needed to do. What this program does is turn pistol training into the same kind of effort as a weight training or physical fitness program. You may "want" or "feel" like you need to do one thing or another from day to day, but in the end you never gain any real ground in anything. However, if you plan it out and just do it whether you feel like it or not, you will progress. This program makes it easy to just go an DO instead of over thinking it. It allows you to put your focus into the shooting alone.

After wasting ammo trying to figure it all out myself again, I switched back to doing 2 sessions a week and cannot be happier. Im just going to have to bite the bullet( :roflol: ) and figure out a way to afford the ammo to finish the program.

Btw, I currently have a range diary in that section that has my times and percentages and all if you want to compare and see just how much better you are than me :P

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... I got mikes book and have started training... I am drawing and dry firing like crazy! I started back in the Gym yesterday and did a nice pretty much full body work out and I ran 2 miles on the treadmill. I did some sprints in the house with my gun to work on movement.... All is going pretty well....except... I did the workout for your eyes this morning, I didn't even do the whole thing and my eyes feel like they have run a marathon... They are actually sore... I had no idea that could even happen How am I supposed to "see what I need to see" when my eyes are killing me??? :cheers:

Well... I got mikes book and have started training... I am drawing and dry firing like crazy! I started back in the Gym yesterday and did a nice pretty much full body work out and I ran 2 miles on the treadmill. I did some sprints in the house with my gun to work on movement.... All is going pretty well....except... I did the workout for your eyes this morning, I didn't even do the whole thing and my eyes feel like they have run a marathon... They are actually sore... I had no idea that could even happen How am I supposed to "see what I need to see" when my eyes are killing me??? :cheers:

Paul- Your eyes will catch up, I promise! Wait until you see what you have been missing!

After reading this thread I ordered my copy and looking forward to reading it and getting started. I'm hoping to get out of my class and hope this will help me get there faster.

..come on mailman!

I have read thru it once and starting it again! Great info. Plotting my trip to OK. LOL would love to take one of MIke's Classes. Can't wait for the future. Thanks for your effort in bringing this program to life!!!

Cheers!

Jason

Bought the book and the companion log. If you follow the live fire and dry fire programs as instructed its hard NOT to improve. Hardest part for me was the livefire portion; getting to the range twice a week is difficult cause of the hoops I have to go through. The program helped me immensely and helped carry me into A class in L10 after I was stagnant for a little bit. Id love to take a class one day.

So.... I have been using Mikes program and not even the whole thing for almost 2 weeks. I have only made it to the range for 1 live fire session, it was last weekend and I got rained out after only 150 rounds. I shoot more IDPA than USPSA and I am a high marksman is SSP. I probably shoot more at a mid sharp shooter level but for whatever reason I always muck up something and have stayed solidly in the marksman classification for almost a year. Today there was a 7 stage 125 round or so local match. I was able to have my head in the game much better than usual and when the results were posted I beat all the SSP marksman, all the SSP sharp shooters and all but 1 if the SSP experts I would have been 5th in the SSP masters :surprise: Thanks Mike!!

I took Mike's USPSA training class (based on his book) earlier this summer. I benefited a lot from the class, and the book is very helpful, too. I was very much a beginner (practical pistol shooting) when I took the class. In my opinion, I would have benefited more from the class having had a little more experience prior to the class. I was too focused on trying to get basic techniques working, rather than being able to focus on refinements.

I will definitely say, do not discount the advances possible with mental training and dry fire practice as recommended in Mike's book. A little dry fire a day goes a long way. Also, do yourself a favor and buy Lanny Basham's book "With Winning in Mind..." (it is referenced in Mike's book). I met Lanny about 5 or 6 yrs ago, and did a short seminar with him. His program almost immediately jumped me up a class (B to A) shooting sporting clays.

Mike's book I can surely recommend. For me, the class (it was held at our local club) was worth the cost. Mike is planning to come back next May and do a more "advanced" class and I plan to attend that one. I am working a "short" version of his program (need more live training work), and am making good improvements.

Of course, YMMV,

Rudolfo

Well, I just got home from shooting L-10 at the Area 4 Championships. I didn't rock the house by any means, but I did notice several positive improvements during the match, as a result of reading Mike's book. For the first time ever, I was able to shoot each and every stage "from memory" prior to shooting the stage. I've tried this before, but this was the first time it actually happened. I've been trained with combat/rescue breathing in the past, but I applied it to my stage planning this time and I know it helped. And I stole Mike's pre-stage statement........"just grip the gun, see the sights and let it flow......"

Thanks Mike, I didn't bring home the bacon this time, but I think I made a few positive steps in the right direction :bow:

• 3 weeks later...

So now I am confused. Mike Seeklander earlier said:

The drills come in the book: Your Competition Handgun Training Program. "Competition Handgun Training Drills" (as per the description), is just the drills without the program and other chapters.

Then per Boyglock we have : Your Performance Logbook [spiral-bound] & Your Performance Logbook: Correct Design and Perfect Execution (Volume 1)?

FOUR products?? I also want the answer to boyglock's question. Which best compliments "Your Competition... ?? "

From his website I see 3 books.

http://www.shooting-performance.com/Shooting-Performance/Books.html

1 book includes the full program and drills

1 book contains only Drills.

The log book has two options only differing in how its bound.

This logbook is finished and is on sale to accompany "Your Competition Handgun Training Program". It is designed to accompany "Your Competition Handgun Training Program", and will greatly enhance your efforts to keep track of your training sessions and competitive events. It is sectioned into dry fire, live fire, and event logs and also has the critical planning pages you will need for a successful shooting season.

The perfect bound version (bound like a normal book)

The spiral bound (improved) version. This version is a 8.5x11 logbook, and some find it easier to use.

Seems that wherever you guys are reading the descriptions is confusing.

Thanks for clearing that up and the link.

I wonder why Brian's Store doesn't sell Seeklander's book ????

I still love real books. It is easier to find things, easier to take notes, go back over parts I need and they stay where I put them.

Don't get me wrong I love my computer but I hate that you can "sneeze" and something disappears -If you know what i mean.

Sounds good, I am buying the book.

I still love real books. It is easier to find things, easier to take notes, go back over parts I need and they stay where I put them.

Don't get me wrong I love my computer but I hate that you can "sneeze" and something disappears -If you know what i mean.

I'm the same way, man. What grinds me is Amazon charges almost as much for the digital copy, and if I'm gonna pay that much I'm want the real thing!

This is not paying for "convenience," because I know it costs less for them to distribute books electronically.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Just read the book for the first time. I had a big ahhaa moment that my training was causing half my shooting problems. Can't wait to get started!

Thanks Mike! :cheers:

It's all about the training. If everyone could afford the time/ammo to shoot 10K rounds per year with the appropriate drills.......there would only be A-GM classes :roflol:

Got the Kindle version of the book on my iPad. Read whole the book in one long evening and ordered the log book the next day. Excellent set of training materials. I have most of the common practical shooting books most of us have read (Brian's book, Saul Kirsch, Steve Anderson, etc.) Mike's book does a great job of building on these other excellent books to help put together a solid training plan. Which is awesome as that is what I have stuggled with over the years. I would read all of above books, work with better shooters (very blessed to live in Florida in that regard) and try to build my own plan to improve. I had mixed success trying to figure out a training plan on my own, with no background training/experience on how to build a plan. Mike's book and log book give you a plan that makes sense for a shooter wishing to improve and also helps you build your own experience and knowledge, not just in shooting, but in planning on how to improve on performance. Which as also awesome! I think that, once I have finished Mike's one year plan, I will have the tools and knowledge to develop a new plan for the following year. And the year after that... Etc.

I have the Training Program book. It is excellent for me. I like the mental aspect that Mike brings out in the book.

His approach makes more sense to me.

For example, everyone says call your shot. Ok. But Mike once told me I programmed myself to miss. Subconsciously I developed a bad training scar. I needed to get rid of that bad program and build a new one to replace it. This made more sense to me.

I have read both Steve and Saul's books, which focus on drills, Mike's Program book provides real insight into why you are doing something rather than training to do something.

Just got the books myself. I have to agree with this post. Mike seems to be a technical shooter. the books help break down specifics and allow you to focus on your weaknesses and strengths. excellent so far. if your'e looking for a book thats done the hard work for you ie..formimg a training plan this is it!