Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mike Seeklander's Book

Cy Soto

Quick question about Mike Seeklander's book... I noticed that he offers one book named: Your Competition Handgun Training Program and another one named: Competition Handgun Training Drills. Am I to assume that that Drills book is included as part of the Training Program or do I need to purchase both books?

Thanks,

Cy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Training Program book. It is excellent for me. I like the mental aspect that Mike brings out in the book.

His approach makes more sense to me.

For example, everyone says call your shot. Ok. But Mike once told me I programmed myself to miss. Subconsciously I developed a bad training scar. I needed to get rid of that bad program and build a new one to replace it. This made more sense to me.

I have read both Steve and Saul's books, which focus on drills, Mike's Program book provides real insight into why you are doing something rather than training to do something.

I have the Training Program book. It is excellent for me. I like the mental aspect that Mike brings out in the book.

His approach makes more sense to me.

For example, everyone says call your shot. Ok. But Mike once told me I programmed myself to miss. Subconsciously I developed a bad training scar. I needed to get rid of that bad program and build a new one to replace it. This made more sense to me.

I have read both Steve and Saul's books, which focus on drills, Mike's Program book provides real insight into why you are doing something rather than training to do something.

Every comment I have heard from people who have read this book says that it is excellent. I can't wait to receive it in the mail and start reading it!

Quick question about Mike Seeklander's book... I noticed that he offers one book named: Your Competition Handgun Training Program and another one named: Competition Handgun Training Drills. Am I to assume that that Drills book is included as part of the Training Program or do I need to purchase both books?

Thanks,

Cy

CY- The drills come in the book: Your Competition Handgun Training Program

"Competition Handgun Training Drills" (as per the description), is just the drills without the program and other chapters.

I hope this helps!

Mike S.

CY- The drills come in the book: Your Competition Handgun Training Program

"Competition Handgun Training Drills" (as per the description), is just the drills without the program and other chapters.

I hope this helps!

Mike S.

That's is what I thought I had read but I wasn't 100% sure. Thank you very much for clarifying this and, above all, thank you for sharing your knowledge of the sport with us through this book! :cheers:

It's available for nook and kindle too. Had a gift card laying around from my birthday, 30 seconds later, I'm reading Mike's book.

Also browsing through it, a very nice job was done porting it to ebook. I've seen much worse from big name publishers.

I ahdn't clicked on the print version earlier. The ebook is $14.95, so it's not only instant gratification, but a nice deal too.

Edited by raz-0

Looking for something new, so I ordered this. Will post after I read it through.

Wish I would have bought the logbook at the sametime. It's on order now. I often wondered, making excuses really, as to how the "elite" get there. You know, these "elite" just smoke the rest of us. Well this book really explains that. I'm very impressed, it breaks down training and answers my biggest dilemma, "what do I work on this time".

It puts it all in one system, everything, ....dry, live, vision, physical fitness, etc.

It does expect you to have technique and basic fundamentals of gun handling/manipulation down.

I really liked the book, now is the shut up time, the hard part,........time to do it.

I've got my own range. I did some $$ figuring at 3 times per week and it's doable, but a commitment for sure. I do have a .22 racegun that I could shuffle into the mix alternating phases I guess. That would save me some money.

I'm tickled and feel like I've found some answers that have eluded me. I've never doubted the "work" involved. I just didn't know how to determine a good regimen that brough

t it all together. Now I've got those answers it comes down

to "Am I willing to spend and do the Reps".

I do think that anyone could benefit. Even scaling back and just using their practice ammo for the drills. No extra $$ involved, but you get the benefit of the system and skill building. Just knowing what to do is huge for me!!

Hey SV, email him and find out if one longer session covering 2 phases will work. That would solve your problem.

Edited by fourtrax

Yeah, I'm about 40 pages in and I like what I'm reading. Unfortunately for me, there is no way I can do more than one live fire session per week. Two-three would be awesome, but I'd have to have my own range for that to happen.

Sent you a pm

Yeah, I'm about 40 pages in and I like what I'm reading. Unfortunately for me, there is no way I can do more than one live fire session per week. Two-three would be awesome, but I'd have to have my own range for that to happen.

SV-COP: There is a live fire modification for you. Read further and look at the pages that address modifying the live fire to less than three per week. Good luck!

SV-COP: There is a live fire modification for you. Read further and look at the pages that address modifying the live fire to less than three per week. Good luck!

I read through the whole book once on a plane. Then I read through the whole book again with a blank piece of paper and my personal notes from previous work. This allowed me to extract certain items from the book and focus on those problem areas. I have seen good benefit from this approach. I plan to start (for the first time ever) dry fire practice next week and we will see where that gets me. I'm sure if I actually had the time and money to invest "all-in" this would work well, but I don't, and I won't. That does not mean you can't still benefit from Mike's distillation of the process. It has helped me be more focused, direct and honest about my shooting, even at a pace slower than what might be "optimal."

Thanks for this thread! I have never used the kindle app on my phone till now! I bought the e-book for my phone and can't wait to get started. I got the sample first and liked what I saw. I needed something to get me motivated and back into the gym and running as well as serious practice for shooting. Thanks guys for this and thanks to Micah for his range diary posts.

Unfortunately, today's price is already $ 19.54 :(

With the amount of great info that you will gather from this book, that would still be a bargain price. Nonetheless,check it out at Amazon. They still have the Kindle version for $14.99: http://www.amazon.com/Competition-Handgun-Training-Program-ebook/dp/B004KKXS82/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313502772&sr=8-3