Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too much

TWHaz

Am I the only one who thinks we are putting to many things on our open pistols? I understand the fun of being the first to have that new gadget on your pistol. But really, how many of us go to the range and put it to the test. Does it really make me faster/accuate our is it the "new thing of the day" Brian and Rob talked about in Brian's book. I have tried most. Now I am back to no slide racker, no thumb rest and my scope is upright again after being horizontal for a good while. I for one seem to be doing just fine and the pistol seems to handle more consistant. I went to the range and the clock confirmed it. I am not slower and faster in some things.OK let me have it. :sight:

:devil:

I'm not in Open yet, but I'd probably be all about the gadgets. Isn't that what Open is all about? Doodads and huge ammo capacity? Oh yeah and going fast....really fast.

That is the question. Do(all) gadgets make you go faster or do you just percieve they do. :ph34r:

Being very, very new to Open I can make a few observations.

Slide racker- If they were legal I would have one on every gun I ever used in USPSA. Very useful gadget in my opinion.

Thumbrest- I did not get one on my gun when it was built. It seems most told me not to but I am having a hard time keeping my weakhand thumb in place. I tend to let it hang out. It seems to need a place to "rest" if you know what I mean. I'll probably have one on before long.

CMore mount- I went with the traditional from the start. The 90's don't look as appealing and a lot of it is about looks. As long as it continues to run perfectly and not cause any problems I'll keep it too.

Tuned Mags- I bought STI tubes and good internals. Chris Keen offered to polish them up for me, and wouldn't you know it, they run perfect and hold just as many bullets as some mags costing hundreds more!

Slide racker- If they were legal I would have one on every gun I ever used in USPSA.

+1. After three years without a slide racker - I just got one put on, and LOVE it.

Can't imagine not having one.

My c-more is still upright - going back and forth on that issue, myself - haven't

tried the 90 degree c-more - maybe one day.

All personal - but what didn't you like about a slide racker? Doesn't speed you

up (unless you have a malfunction), but it doesn't seem to slow me down?)

Jack

It is all personal preference what the shooter wants to have on his gun. I rather keep my open gun as light as possible. The thumb rest help shooters find a consistent placement for the weak hand and the slide racker is great in the event you need to clear a jam or have a table start. Remember a timer can prove faster. But accuracy and consistency play a major part as well.

My point of this disscussion is to try it all.

Just do not forget to let the timer decide.

SOme changes, for the better, might not be apparent right off the bat. I had tried and dismissed the *thumb rest [generic]*(Oh my can't use the name brand eh?), but I talked with the owners and agreed to put it back on and give it a season. I like the consistency it gives me in my weak hand grip, but am still undecided as to it's use.or lack of, in recoil management. I know as I use it more I'm finding it doesn't upset the gun like it did when I first put it on... you need to adjust your shooting sometimes to take advantage of something new.You can't just bolt it on and break out the time wand then pitch it after a couple of hours.

JT

Edited by JThompson

I used to have a vertical Cmore mount, but I feel I do much better with my 90 degree mount. I never had a problem with indexing the dot on either mount, but even the small amount of parallax of the upright mount has caused me problems.

On one stage I was leaning around a wall and my pistol was at a bit of an angle (like a clockwise rotation). I was trying to get a tight A zone hit between a barrel and a no-shoot. After the first two shots hit the barrel I very slowly and carefully pulled the trigger a couple more times with the same result. A check later found that my scope was sighted in properly. I had a very bad elapsed time on that stage and I have not had that kind of a problem with the 90 degree mounts.

I know that some shooters compensate for the closer targets, but I don't want to think about dot compensation and I also feel that I have more confidence in my shots when I know that the bullet is going exactly where the dot is.

I think you have to not only look at what works for you but stage designs that you typically shoot too. I hate slide rackers, I'd rather be without it, however with all the unloaded starts we are seeing these days, its a no-brainer that you have to have one. One of my guns has a racker and one doesn't, a lot of times if the match does not have any unloaded starts I'd rather run the slick gun.

I feel the same as the majority - I try things for a while and then see if I can live without them or what helps me improve. For instance, I had the hardest time trying to find the dot on the upright Cmore. I shot Open for a while when that's all we had. When I tried the Cheely/Quinn mounts, it was a complete 180 degree difference. It seemed more natural (after shooting iron sights for so many years) and finding the dot wasn't an issue anymore. I do like the thumb rest too, gives me a place to hang my thumb :)

I'm all about innovation and always moving forward but some things are just novelties and not necessities...

In addition to shooting Open, I shoot a lot of iron sights as well, so for me and IMHO a:

90 deg mount is a keeper: I started Open with a 9mm Major gun using a vertical mount, had a couple jams in the first 500 - 700 rounds and difficulty switching back to iron sights. Switched to a 90 deg mount and no jams, less parallax, bit better transitions back to iron's.

*thumb rest [generic]* from GoGun is not a keeper: Tired one, really liked it then noticed I had a really screwed up grip when I went back to an iron sighted gun. If I shot nothing but Open I'd keep it.

Slide racker is not a keeper: I don't have one and have not tried one but I've wanted one. However, I'm concerned it could possibly snag on my shirt during a draw or I would do something stupid with my left thumb and just have a bad day as a result. The possible benifits do not seem worth the risk to me.

I've only been shooting Open for ~1 year and have only acheived a very low "C" so ... YMMV. ;)

Edited by Rob Tompkins

I'm relatively new to Open too; about 1 yr shooting it pretty consistently. Couple of the gadgets I think are great; 90 degree C More mount. Helps me transition back and forth between irons real easy since still not too serious about Open (yet). Very easy to pick up the dot too. The slide racker helps when you get jams from a dirty gun (my fault, treat it like the Limited gun :rolleyes: ) or .38SC brass that is ancient or of unknown pedigree picked up with your brass and mixed in. Extended mag release button is a must.

Edited by blaster113

I have the slide racker and like it. I was thinking about trying a 90deg mount for the c-more, but have not so far. I'm just shooting steel for now, and think that the 90deg mount would hinder shooting right to left.

Any thoughts on that?

I thought the same thing but it doesnt seem to effect my right to left transitions at all. My near sighted/astigmatism afflicted blind mullet eyeballs are the problem :roflol:

once you use the mount for a short time you dont notice it anymore. You just have to get used to it.

I have been shooting Open for a year and a month :D I went from an upright to a side mount on both guns and ,along with training/practice, moved up to B class and soon to A. I had thee chance to try a gun with a thumb rest and a slide racker... I didn't like the racker because I feel I load faster without one and the thumb rest just doesnt give me the right grip

How many of us have spoilers and wings on our cars? How many drive at speeds where they matter?

We do take ourselves way too seriously way too often. A colorful bicycle jersey does not make you go faster... but it makes you look good!

You see two different kinds of Open guns - the no-frill, almost ugly, workhorses, the sole purpose of them is to shoot well.

Then you see the ones whose owners loved the process of beautification - it shows in every bolt-on accessory.

Life would be too boring if all we did had only practical significance, and everything we used looked like that old hammer you buy at a garage sale - it will drive the nail alright.

And besides... accessories aside... how much function do the Limcat cuts add? So if it is good enough for the makes, it's got to be fine for the user.

And besides... accessories aside... how much function do the Limcat cuts add? So if it is good enough for the makes, it's got to be fine for the user.

HAHA i gues you could say they're better for racking but ya mostly its too look cool XD

• 2 weeks later...

When I decided to get my first open gun I was undecided about the C-More mount. However to see if a 90 degree was good or bad I built one for my rimfire open gun. Used it for around 4 months and decided I liked the results once I got used to it. So my open gun got delivered with a Chelly mount. The moment I decided to keep it was when one of my buddies and I were shooting a USPSA match scenario with a very short first part with a no shoot. With his normal C-More mount he ended up with a couple of no shoots while I put both in the A zone at 3 yards, simply due to the barrel axis difference. I like not having to compensate on the fly. As for the racker I've shot with and without it and it is simply not a real advantage. But since at 64 I might need it in the future I just shortened it and keep it on the gun anyway. Have one on my rimfire gun also.