Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too much

TWHaz

I think it goes in phases. One thing I noticed:

2008-2009 i saw a bunch of slide-mounted mini-dots.

Now, you don't see it as much on new builds, but you see alot of photos of 90* Cmore Mounts.

People are always looking for an edge, and they will try new things if they perceive it as giving them an edge.

accuracy is the biggest reason for me to go to a sideways mount. with a vertical mount, my gun had almost a 4-5 inch variance in zero between 5-30 yards. having to do "kentucky elevation" on the fly while running around is definitly not worth it.

I confirmed this when shooting with some master level open shooters at a practice on a plate rack. they were all aiming a inch or two over the plate to hit it at 10 yards.

i prefer the looks of a vertical mount but I want my shots to go generally where the dot is and the 90 mounts let me dot that.

no need for a slide racker so far, without a top mount in the way i havent had my gun jam once. Stock STI steelmaster with tuned mags and I treat it like a limited gun with the exception of cleaning off the dot occasionally.

...with a vertical mount, my gun had almost a 4-5 inch variance in zero between 5-30 yards. having to do "kentucky elevation" on the fly while running around is definitly not worth it.

Sounds like a bad setup/zero.

Your vertical mount had the dot, what...2in above the bore line?

I confirmed this when shooting with some master level open shooters at a practice on a plate rack. they were all aiming a inch or two over the plate to hit it at 10 yards.

Eight inch plates? Something is wrong there.

IMHO slide rackers are ESSENTIAL.

With my Open Glock 17's I don't tend have jams so thats not really an issue. However for stages like empty gun, pick up off the table and load, they make those drills a lot easier and a lot faster. They also jack up the gun off the table making it easier and quicker to pick up............for me.

Gas pedals ? Nope no use to me. I got short thumbs, I can't reach 'em.

Magwells ? On single stack guns like 1911 with slab sided mags which are a tight fit in the aperture............yeah definately.

Double stack mags are all TAPERED at the top so are usually are a pretty easy to hit the aperture with. But I have them on mine anyway............ overkill?........ probably.

Slide mounted STS CMORE is great, very low in relation to the bore, great for close up targets and distance ones alike. Same indexing as iron sights.......... easy transition.

I was shooting a friends SPS with a Quinn 2 mount and 8 M.O.A Cmore. Very quick also low on the slide, but I don't like the "blind spot" it gives on the left.............just my personal preference.

Yes I suppose we can and do "over accesorize"