Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The most important thing

benos

Isn't the whole purpose of this focus? If you can call it why can't you correct it? If you call it, then you consciously chose to take the shot for what it was?

It's all about hit factor. Take your total points, minus any penalties, and divide by time. That's the hit factor.

Dive into the forums, searching for "hit factor strategy" and similar searches. The gist of this idea is to try and size up a stage in the walkthrough and pre-gauge whether a make up shot for anything less than a Mike is worth it in the hit factor. On a longer stage, say 150 points, then a makeup shot even for a Mike could actually hurt your hit factor more than just moving on without one.

It ain't a science, it's hard to know for sure what the best plan is. Talk it over with your squad, everyone I know will help out anytime they can. Well, at least until you start beating them, then they'll lie, cheat, and hide you magazines. DVC. :lol:

Edited by ihatepickles

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I guess maybe I'm approaching this from the wrong angle..Isn't the whole purpose of this focus? If you can call it why can't you correct it?

You are lumping a lot of things in here under the umbrella of "shot calling" ... that really aren't shot calling.

Shot calling is just the observation. It is sensory information. It is not decision making (conscious, nor sub-conscious). It isn't physical execution. It is just feedback.

Explore the Star Ship analogy in post #54 of this thread on vision vs. visual patience.

...I guess maybe I'm approaching this from the wrong angle..Isn't the whole purpose of this focus? If you can call it why can't you correct it?

You are lumping a lot of things in here under the umbrella of "shot calling" ... that really aren't shot calling.

Shot calling is just the observation. It is sensory information. It is not decision making (conscious, nor sub-conscious). It isn't physical execution. It is just feedback.

Explore the Star Ship analogy in post #54 of this thread on vision vs. visual patience.

+1

I would think that our sights never really settle, and the fraction of a second from what is acepteble and when the shot breaks things change.

hence call your shot and do what is appropiate.

Ok thanks! I tend to over analyze everything..did you notice? roflol.gif I did have fun with it at the range over lunch today.

Isn't the whole purpose of this focus? If you can call it why can't you correct it? If you call it, then you consciously chose to take the shot for what it was?

It's all about hit factor. Take your total points, minus any penalties, and divide by time. That's the hit factor.

Dive into the forums, searching for "hit factor strategy" and similar searches. The gist of this idea is to try and size up a stage in the walkthrough and pre-gauge whether a make up shot for anything less than a Mike is worth it in the hit factor. On a longer stage, say 150 points, then a makeup shot even for a Mike could actually hurt your hit factor more than just moving on without one.

It ain't a science, it's hard to know for sure what the best plan is. Talk it over with your squad, everyone I know will help out anytime they can. Well, at least until you start beating them, then they'll lie, cheat, and hide you magazines. DVC. :lol:

Someone thought it was cute to turn one of mags backwards..goof.gifbiggrin.gif

OK guys... on the Travis video above- did anyone "call" that flyer at about 1:31?? I didn't... maybe this is my problem. I can tell for sure that I didn't blink though!

You mean the one at 2 O clock way high?

OK guys... on the Travis video above- did anyone "call" that flyer at about 1:31?? I didn't... maybe this is my problem. I can tell for sure that I didn't blink though!

Its not at easy to call his shots in the video because you have very little understanding of the exact time when the shot is going to break. When you are the one breaking the shot you at least have an understanding of when the shot is going to break and in turn are able to turn up your visual attention in order to call the shot properly.

I also find it misleading how he is allowing the front of the gun to break upwards then return slowly every shot. If that is how he broke every shot in competition he would have a hard time getting 1 second splits much less sub one second splits. We all know Travis can shoot faster than that so he is obviously over exaggerating the front sight lift and return process.

All I'm saying is even though you called a shot, it doesn't necessarily mean the shot ends up where your sights lifted.

Hmmmm...

I'll second that Hmmmm...

How can you know where the bullet landed it if didn't land where your sights lifted from?

I didn't ask that..I just stated that not all shots go where they are called. Especially under stress.. a perceived alpha can result in a charlie.

I have to let go of the notion that this is a precision game, everyone wants all alphas all the time, it's not possible especially given the

stage times the top shooters run. Who would intentionally call a charlie? Nobody.. especially scored minor, but the scorecard tells a different story.

Calling is not where you wanted it to go, it's where it really went. Nobody wants Charlies, but we want to see them with the sights when we shoot them.

Th eother thing you'll learn is that its just as fast to shoot an A as it is to hit anywhere else on the target, times have nothing to do with dropped shots at the upper levels, the level of precision we fired the shot is what matters and you can be every bit as precise at speed.

All I'm saying is even though you called a shot, it doesn't necessarily mean the shot ends up where your sights lifted.

Hmmmm...

I'll second that Hmmmm...

How can you know where the bullet landed it if didn't land where your sights lifted from?

I didn't ask that..I just stated that not all shots go where they are called. Especially under stress.. a perceived alpha can result in a charlie.

I have to let go of the notion that this is a precision game, everyone wants all alphas all the time, it's not possible especially given the

stage times the top shooters run. Who would intentionally call a charlie? Nobody.. especially scored minor, but the scorecard tells a different story.

Calling is not where you wanted it to go, it's where it really went. Nobody wants Charlies, but we want to see them with the sights when we shoot them.

Th eother thing you'll learn is that its just as fast to shoot an A as it is to hit anywhere else on the target, times have nothing to do with dropped shots at the upper levels, the level of precision we fired the shot is what matters and you can be every bit as precise at speed.

I meant at my current skill level..as far as times go. I witnessed a top 10 GM at the last match..impressive for sure..but I assumed better accuracy. :cheers:

The most important thing for a competive shooter is to know before and when firing a shot where the bullet will strike a target, and if that shot is acceptable.

To me that is what shot calling is. It's something you do before and after firing the shot.

C

The most important thing for a competive shooter is to know before and when firing a shot where the bullet will strike a target, and if that shot is acceptable.

To me that is what shot calling is. It's something you do before and after firing the shot.

C

Well, I think it's actually happening before, during and after.

C

Man Flex, that was a great read! I even posted to Calamity Jane in that thread. I see your reasoning and now understand, KNOWING.

I haven't seen or heard a peep from Calamity since about that time. I miss seeing Mr. and Mrs. Ball on the range. Good people.

I miss seeing Mr. and Mrs. Ball on the range. Good people.

Me too !!

Man Flex, that was a great read! I even posted to Calamity Jane in that thread. I see your reasoning and now understand, KNOWING.

Pat is really saying the same thing...and we both probably stole it all from Brian. :)

I coined a new phrase/version this past weekend...with Steve Anderson's prodding. We did a little dry-fire training session at his place with a couple of shooters. I was getting ready to demo a drill and mentioned that, before a run, I will put a hand on my gun in the holster and the other on my first mag in a pouch. I said, "I like to locate my stuff." Steve got a chuckle out of that wording, and it stuck. And, we used it for the rest of the day. Need to pick a gun up off a table...take a look and locate your stuff. Doing a reload...see a spot on the magwell...locate your stuff. Transitioning to a target, pick a spot on the target to drive the gun too...locate your stuff. Time to make the shot, get a razor sharp focus on that front sights...locate your stuff.