2. Place Open: Michael Voigt 1920 - 174x

3. Place Open: Don Golembieski 1920 - 172x

1. Place Stock: Rob Leatham 1884 - 136x

2. Place Stock: Jerry Miculek 1872 - 129x

3. Place Stock: Marc Kleser 1870 - 122x

Speed Event:

Open: Doug Koenig

Stock: Jerry Miculek

I was sad - I was on the way to Tucson when The Great One called me with the results - so I couldn't post 'em. DK - big surprise; TGO - big surprise. I heard Voigt showed with basically no practice time whatsoever - he is truly a great competitor. And how about speed man Miculek! Not too shabby. And big Donny G with a clean for third! Good work everybody.

be

Travis,

This is what I heard from someone who was there. Everett told a RO he got permission to shoot at a different time of his scheduled time from the match director. I believe it was at the plates, he didn't want to shoot in the rain? The RO let him shoot and later on found out he didn't get permission to do so. The DQ was for unsportsmanlike behavior. Two other things I was told is a topshooter dropped his gun (loaded?) at the shoot offs DQed himself but, the RO didn't DQ him. Another top shooter made a statement in public ear shot, that if your not a sponsored shooter you're nobody and is tired of being surrounded by them. I'm just repeating what I was told, none of this is confirmed by another source.

Rich

(Edited by RIIID at 5:59 am on May 31, 2002)

(Edited by RIIID at 6:02 am on May 31, 2002)

If that's true about Everett he sure picked the wrong match to try something like that.  

My understanding is that Voight dropped his loaded pistol during the shoot offs, I don't think he would have had to DQ himself, lots of people watching. The gun evidently made a few loops before it hit the ground and scared the crap out of everyone there.

Haven't heard about the sponsored shooter comment. Who was supposed to have said that?

You can count on the cup for lots of controversy and rumors. I don't know why it shows up there more than anyplace, well maybe the Chevy Truck challenge has it beat?

Before I write something about the things that happened at the Cup this year, I´d like to give some informations about myself in order to introduce me to you.

My name is Marijan Loch and I am a Bianchi Cup and IPSC Shooter from Germany. I am 21 years old and this year I have competed in the NRA Bianchi Cup Nationalchampionships for the second time (1999 and 2002).

First of all I want to say something concerning Everet Brunell. I spoke to him several times and he told me that he went to the Range Master and asked him if it is possible to change the schedule so that he can shoot with his friends. The Range Master told him that it would not be the correct point of time to ask for that but he should return later. A little bit later a Range officer wanted to fill up a squad and asked Everett if he wants to shoot. He told him it would be o.k., so Everett shot (He told me that he was not prepared to shoot yet, but he started). Later the Range Master called him a cheater because he changed his schedule without confirmation by the Range Master. I think it was a bad misunderstanding and in my point of view it is ridiculous that he is disqualified for that. Several other shooters changed their schedule without significant reasons. They shot the Barricade Event although they should shoot the Plates or they even did not come because they were on the practice  range and so start on the next day. Concerning the "rain thing" I just can only say one thing: On the last day the whole schedule was invalid because the RO wanted to give the shooters the possibility to avoid shooting in the rain.

Concerning Michael Voigt`s incident I can call myself an eyewitness because I was watching the Speed Event from the second row on the grandstand. When the Start signal came Michael Voigt reached for his gun but instead of presenting it on the plates the gun flew through the air and landed hard on the ground with the muzzle pointing at the spectators. Therefore his DQ concerning the Speed Event was no question. The RO turned the gun and Michael Voigt picked it up and left the range.

Concerning the comments of some Pro shooters I did not hear anything.  

Sorry for the long post :-)

Take care,

Marijan Loch

P.S.: Congratulations to Doug Koenig. His performance was       incredible and it was a pleasure to watch him       shooting. He is a really nice guy.

Hope to see some of you at the 25th anniversary of

the Bianchi Cup in 2003.

Phillip,

Bruce Piatt finished 6th. He shot an 8 on the practical. I believe his x count was 174 so he wouldn't have been able to beat Doug if he had cleaned it.

My understanding is that Bruce is the one that made the comment about the unsponsored shooters. The word that I got was that he was complaining that he shot the 8 because the shooter next to him was shooting too fast!!!!!!! Normally him and Doug are squadded together but that didn't happen this year. What I would like to know is why is a shooter with 3 "Cups" paying attention to another shooter while he is on the firing line? When the RO says "load and make ready" from that moment on I am the only shooter on the line. I had this same thing happen to me last year while shooting the Barricade. I was shooting at the 10 yard line, which the time limit is 5 seconds, and I was determined that I was going to get all of the shots off before the target turned. When we moved to the 15 yard line the guy to my left complained to me that I was shooting too fast and was "messing him up". The point to all this is that anyone who shoots Action Pistol on a regular basis knows the time limits and shoots at their own pace. I think they should squad all the top shooters with us nobodies. That would make it even more challenging. I had the priviledge of shooting the plates with Doug at the practice range and he shot like I wasn't there.

This was my third year shooting the "cup" and I learned quite a bit. I learned my lesson on the Barricade and cleaned it, cleaned the plates, dropped 2 eights on the mover and dropped a 5 on the practical to finish up with a 1911. That placed me 21st overall. Not too shabby for a nobody.

I got this from the The Great One after the match:

Everet was originally scheduled to shoot the plates at the exact time (meaning they're all shooting on the line at the same time) as Robbie, Freddie and another heavy hitter who's name is escaping me at the moment. They schedule you like that at the Cup for a reason. It's "QUITE DIFFERENT" if you're shooting for the match win at the exact same time your nearest competitors are. (It might be difficult to imagine what that's like if you've never been in that spot.) Trust me, it's a lot of heat, especially at the Cup. For a competitor to intentionally avoid shooting at his scheduled time, well, that's just not cool at all. And then to say that it had something to do with shooting in the rain?! What about the fact that everyone in position to win the match would be shooting in the theoretical rain as well. Not to mention that, now, having ditched your squad, you would not only have not shot in the rain, but you would've avoided the heat as well! Comon.

Now I have to say that I've always liked and got along well with Everet as a person. But sometimes a person's personal nature and his competitive nature are not the same. I'm surprised he did that.

be

:) I can tell you for sure there was a "complaint." I sent The Great One an email on this thread, but he didn't want to get involved because he's "I am tired of this issue already and will just get more pissed of if I get

into it." He also commented - " It is obvious to all there he did it to gain an

advantage. But so few shoot matches like this anymore I guess they can not

know what it is like to be up there. He changed his time to not have to

shoot in the show when the heat was on. End of story."

Yea, end of story.

be