Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back up guns

jarozzy

How many of you have back up guns? If you do what is the benefits of one? Do you keep it as close as the same as your competition gun? I am trying to decide if it will be money we spent to get a back up.

IF you can afford on you should do it. You never know when something freak is going to happen any you main gun goes down and you can't fix it. I have a Colt 1911 for a back up to my Kimber for Single Stack. They are almost the same except for the mag well.

Until I can afford to get a second G34 and have it set up exactly as my main G34 I keep just about every spare part for it in my bag. I guess it depends on what type of gun you're shooting. I would think the higher end precision tuned guns would be a little tougher to work on at a match and would justify a back up gun at all times.

Until I can afford to get a second G34 and have it set up exactly as my main G34 I keep just about every spare part for it in my bag. I guess it depends on what type of gun you're shooting. I would think the higher end precision tuned guns would be a little tougher to work on at a match and would justify a back up gun at all times.

I used to take my completely stock G17 as a back up.

If you need to resort to a back-up gun, you likely have already trashed a stage big time. You are just looking to finish the match.

A few years back at the Area 7 match, my G34 started doubling and tripling. I went to the G17 and shot the rest of the match.

I now take my Glock 23 along as back up (if not carrying it) to my 34 after having a squib that stuck about an inch from the muzzle in a 3 gun match. Unfortunately at that match I had carried a Glock 27 that day and was not in the habit of a back up gun and ended up using the G27 with 15 round mags the rest of the day. And I got lucky and a reshoot on the squib since I could have continued with the other guns (all 3 on that stage) but the RO stopped me instead.

And at the SC state match I had one that popped but did not ignite the powder (powder all over the place). That was with only 2 shots to go on the stage so I was still able to win my class (D at the time and I was able to pop the bullet out easy and continue). I now always take a back up as you never know, and you may not 0 that stage.

I am switching over to Open full time now and don't see myself springing for another Open gun any time soon. I will take my G34 and rig along to any major matches as my backup. I know it's minor and not the best solution but all I would want is to finish the match after putting out so much money.

From what I have seen at matches, for the most part, somebody will probably be able to help you get your gun up and running for you.

A good friend is traveling up to the Colorado state match next weekend. He's a Master class Open shooter with a broken backup gun. He planned on taking his M&P Production gun as a backup. He now has my Bedell open gun as well as my mags and ammo along just in case.

Pat

I always bring a backup. Its faster and easier then trying to fix a broken gun. Just grab the next one and continue. My primary and back up a very similar. What usually happens is I build a primary gun, the wife shoots it, claims it as hers, I get another one. Take both to match. Although I have never had to go to the backup gun.

Edited by Supermoto

I usually have 2 or the same or similar pistols for each class. However, I usually don't consider one or the other primary or back-up. The main purpose for me is to rotate them during practice so neither gets too hot.

a backup gun is a good idea if you shoot a lot of big matches. Id love to have one but cant afford it. I keep a spare parts kit but its definitely not the same as just whipping out your spare to finish the match after your primary takes a dump.

Learned early on to always have one at the bigger matches. Yes, my main gun is in great shape, but stuff can and does break, sometimes at the most inappropriate times (like a major match).

I've only had to go to it a couple times, but it is great peace of mind to know it's there.

Al

I recently got a Glock 34 and after a friend mentioned the "just in case" factor I now toss the g19 int the bag as well. If anything, it keeps a bad day from getting worse by not getting to finish the match.

I am working on getting a back up Limted gun built. Should have it soon. It will be the same as far as magwell, grip,safeties and sights but this one is a short dust cover and the main gun is long dust cover. We will see how this works out.

I've got 2x identical G34 pistols set up for Production. Having these two guns is still less coin than a lot of the Open and Limited guns out there. If something goes south on a gun, I may not have the time or patience to work it out. Oddly enough, I don't shoot the back-up as well as the primary... but I'm sure that is purely psychological.

-Randy

Must have jinxed myself with the earlier post. 2nd to last stage and the extractor broke. The wife was shooting the backup up gun, so we had to share to the last stage

Edited by Supermoto

I've got 2x identical G34 pistols set up for Production. Having these two guns is still less coin than a lot of the Open and Limited guns out there. If something goes south on a gun, I may not have the time or patience to work it out. Oddly enough, I don't shoot the back-up as well as the primary... but I'm sure that is purely psychological.

-Randy

Same here. 2 G34's for Production/SSP and 2 G35's for 3-gun and ESP. I debated back and fourth on it and happened to come across 2 great deals and decided to spring for backups. Both are settup the same, except the backup G35 doesn't have a magwell. Can't think of a failure where I can't swap them out.

Now, an identical backup for a $2-3K Limited or Open gun - that's a tough one...

Edited by prreed10

It was rare to shoot a match without my favorite shooting buddy. Our guns, while not identical, were close enough that I could have used it in a pinch. But I never had to as my Millennium Custom never had a problem that was not ammo related.

I'm now down to a Glock and from what I've been told, a back up for an unmolested Glock is an unnecessary thing.

Edited by warpspeed

It was rare to shoot a match without my favorite shooting buddy. Our guns, while not identical, were close enough that I could have used it in a pinch. But I never had to as my Millennium Custom never had a problem that was not ammo related.

I'm now down to a Glock and from what I've been told, a back up for an unmolested Glock is an unnecessary thing.

Clearly you've never watched me lose a front sight during a stage.....

After doing that at two successive matches, I bring a backup gun even to local matches.....

I sheared barrel lugs off at the 1990 Nationals, lucky I had a back up pistol!

Over the years, I have gone to the back up several times since.(extractors break, triggers follow etc..)

Well worth having two.............