Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Angled Targets

I like to throw in a few low angled targets (about 30 deg or so) in my stage design. My question is, what do you put behind them to help prevent ricochet? Now, I am buying a bail of hay and leaning the targets up against them. Any other suggestions. I'm looking for something quick and portable. Thanks!

We use these on a regular basis either behind a low wall or through a port and they are always put close in to the shooting position so bullets are basically going right into the ground. I think that ours are actually angled more than the ones you are referring to.

We dig holes and mound the dirt so that the bullets will hit the mound.

Yeah. Basically sand pits kind of like fixing divots on a tee box only a little bigger.

• 1 month later...
I wouldn't use tires. They've been known to throw the round back at you. I know some places use them as berms and YMMV, but that is what my RO instructor told me.

Thats what the carpet is for. Put 2 or 3 layer over the tires and so far in 5 years nothing has come back.

Brent

• 1 month later...

I know but its both safe and easy. You can spend time and sweat making the bay for the stage or simply make the stage for the bay.

As to the question of what to put behind them, what do you put behind all of your other targets? If carpet, tires or cross ties were well suited for the job (100%) why build berms in the first place?

I know but its both safe and easy. You can spend time and sweat making the bay for the stage or simply make the stage for the bay.

As to the question of what to put behind them, what do you put behind all of your other targets? If carpet, tires or cross ties were well suited for the job (100%) why build berms in the first place?

I agree. Soft dirt works plenty well enough for our range, but I guess not everyone has that option at their range.

But, they may have nice draining range that is packed with chipped rocks or what not and not ever have mud puddles like we do at our range...

Different strokes for different folks :cheers:

The question, I believe, addresses how to stop a ricochet after the bullet hits the primary backstop (in this case, the ground), since it will be hitting that backstop at an angle. For the rest of the targets, the berm is the primary backstop, and ricochet isn't usually an issue.

One local club, whose range is on soft silt, uses nothing, and you can occasionally hear ricochets going over the berm. The other local club, whose range is on rocky mine tailings, never uses this sort of target setup for obvious reasons.

The question, I believe, addresses how to stop a ricochet after the bullet hits the primary backstop (in this case, the ground), since it will be hitting that backstop at an angle. For the rest of the targets, the berm is the primary backstop, and ricochet isn't usually an issue.

I know, that's why I suggested putting them to the rear and sides of the bay so the berms are the primary backstop. Other methods can reduce the chance or at least let everyone know you made an effort to keep them in but none, other than a deep hole, are going to be as good.

The ones I've seen just had a pile of dirt behind them. The ground was very hard and at the angle they were being shot I think it was a good idea that there was a softer backstop for them. It was likely about a wheelbarrow full of dirt behind each one. It was at a large regional match so it was worth the time. If you're just shooting a local match, I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort to shovel a lot of dirt.

We've used bags of sand, and after wards, pick up the plastic and let the sand stay in place or drain into the ground. seemed to work good. If using thick rubber matting and tires, better have some good gloves when picking them up, very sharp shrapnel.